Disney's FY20 Q3 Earnings (8/4/20)

VaderTron

Disney's operations did manage a small profit.

What went down the toilet was their International Channels business. They spent billions to get it going but the business model fell apart. They are dumping it and switching to Direct-To-Consumer (DTC).

Previously, they valued their Asia-Pacific channels as worth $5 Billion. They are now saying it's a loser and they are dumping it. As a result, they have to write off that asset as an impairment. An impairment is a permanent reduction in the value of a company asset. That's written off against the company's profits. As a result, corporate Disney as a whole lost money, a lot of it.

Operating margin (profit or loss) has to do with revenue taken in by the company versus what it cost to generate that revenue. By this measure, Disney achieved a small profit.

Let's say you run a cab business and you have a fleet of 10 cabs. You collected $100K in revenue and it only cost you $90K to operate those cabs, then your operations were profitable by $10K.

But now let's say one of those cars was destroyed by a Kraken and you didn't buy Kraken insurance. That cab was worth $20K so you have to write it off. As a result, your business lost $10K.

This is what happened to Disney. Disney's operations made a little bit of money but corporate Disney lost a boatload.

Except your "Kraken" somehow destroyed a huge portion of your taxi cab fleet (why are you keeping your taxi fleet in the middle of the ocean anyway?) not just one and lost you billions, not just $10,000.

WDW Pro

They do have a $17.25 billion line of credit available to them in addition to the cash on hand they have. So they can burn cash for awhile and the cash burn should slow going forward. It is hard to call a quarterly like this one good, but given the present economic situation this was better than should have been expected.

They could divest themselves of the Chinese parks, but that would be for reason besides needing cash at this point.

Again correct, but just know that further debt they incur, outside of government bailouts, is likely to require greater and greater interest rates. That's why in any Corporation, at some point they go from taking on debt to selling assets in a situation such as this.

VaderTron

Here is something I have been thinking about in regard to the heavy focus on Disney+ performance.

1) Disney+ is a new offering, especially oversees. Anything that is even slightly interesting gets attention when it's new. I remember the days that people were swooning over Sling TV. Heck, they have a button on Roku remotes. Their subscriber numbers are dropping. The novelty has worn off and people are finding something else they prefer. I see this happening with Disney+ sooner rather than later. I myself have already watched what I was interested in. Now we probably turn to Disney+ two maybe three times a month, and that's more because I want to get some use out of what I've paid for, not because I'm dying to watch something from their library. Our household is likely to drop it once the year subscription runs out. We may return later once new content builds to a level worth paying for a month or two, but I likely will not do another 1Y membership.

2) How many subscribers paid the 1-3 year deal upfront? I feel like it's a substantial number north of 25%. All that money was given to Disney last year. They aren't seeing any revenue from those subscribers now. Zero, zilch, nada.

3) As far as the timing for Disney+ to debut, it almost is like a marlin jumped into the fishing boat. Such incredible good fortune. They get a large number of people to subscribe using a long-term subscription. Then, just a few months later a global pandemic starts just as they have rolled out internationally. People are encouraged to stay home as much as possible. The perfect storm has arrived for increased consumers to beg you to take their money. What happens? Even as the situation slogs on, only 60mil have subscribed worldwide. And for all three of their streaming platforms they have a total of 100mil subscribers. That looks like a lot, but they were at 70 million in March. So, only 30 million more across all three platforms. Even still, the three together are dwarfed by Netflix's 182mil, almost double the subscribers for one service. Rather than Netfilx's having it's customers stolen, they had a net increase in subscriptions of 22% over the previous year.

The take-away: Disney+ will likely never have as good of an opportunity to gain subscribers than it did in the past quarter. People were just short of chained to their couches and told to watch TV for several months. Yet, only 30 million new subscribers decided they wanted to watch ESPN+, Disney+ or Hulu. Not good.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Again correct, but just know that further debt they incur, outside of government bailouts, is likely to require greater and greater interest rates. That's why in any Corporation, at some point they go from taking on debt to selling assets in a situation such as this.
Interest rates go up as credit rating goes down. TWDC is still 2 levels above the bottom of investment grade so they have a ways to go before interest rate matters. The company I work for is a level below investment grade and we can still borrow money easily at a pretty attractive rate right now. The capital markets are flush with cash right now, not like 2008. Eventually you have to pay the piper so at some point if they take on a lot of extra debt they may consider a sale of assets to pay it down, but I would think that would be part of a strategic decision on if they want to keep those assets long term. Right now the theme parks are worth the least they probably ever were so it’s a terrible time to think about selling them. It would be like trying to sell a beach house on a barrier island the day after a hurricane while the power is still out and the only bridge to the island was knocked out and is closed for the next year. Someone may see the potential that house will have in a year when the dust settles, but most buyers would say no way, unless they got it for a rock bottom price.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Here is something I have been thinking about in regard to the heavy focus on Disney+ performance.

1) Disney+ is a new offering, especially oversees. Anything that is even slightly interesting gets attention when it's new. I remember the days that people were swooning over Sling TV. Heck, they have a button on Roku remotes. Their subscriber numbers are dropping. The novelty has worn off and people are finding something else they prefer. I see this happening with Disney+ sooner rather than later. I myself have already watched what I was interested in. Now we probably turn to Disney+ two maybe three times a month, and that's more because I want to get some use out of what I've paid for, not because I'm dying to watch something from their library. Our household is likely to drop it once the year subscription runs out. We may return later once new content builds to a level worth paying for a month or two, but I likely will not do another 1Y membership.

2) How many subscribers paid the 1-3 year deal upfront? I feel like it's a substantial number north of 25%. All that money was given to Disney last year. They aren't seeing any revenue from those subscribers now. Zero, zilch, nada.

3) As far as the timing for Disney+ to debut, it almost is like a marlin jumped into the fishing boat. Such incredible good fortune. They get a large number of people to subscribe using a long-term subscription. Then, just a few months later a global pandemic starts just as they have rolled out internationally. People are encouraged to stay home as much as possible. The perfect storm has arrived for increased consumers to beg you to take their money. What happens? Even as the situation slogs on, only 60mil have subscribed worldwide. And for all three of their streaming platforms they have a total of 100mil subscribers. That looks like a lot, but they were at 70 million in March. So, only 30 million more across all three platforms. Even still, the three together are dwarfed by Netflix's 182mil, almost double the subscribers for one service. Rather than Netfilx's having it's customers stolen, they had a net increase in subscriptions of 22% over the previous year.

The take-away: Disney+ will likely never have as good of an opportunity to gain subscribers than it did in the past quarter. People were just short of chained to their couches and told to watch TV for several months. Yet, only 30 million new subscribers decided they wanted to watch ESPN+, Disney+ or Hulu. Not good.
Excellent point about Disney+

People are Gagas over it...and it is a very nice platform...
But they’re going to ebb in interest/subscriptions unless they provide massive new content. And I don’t know if I trust them to do it or be able to even write it??

Disney story departments haven’t been churning out ingenious new ideas.
More bad takes on old ones.

Box office results are not a correlation to quality.sadly.

tirian

But they’re going to ebb in interest/subscriptions unless they provide massive new content. And I don’t know if I trust them to do it or be able to even write it??

Quick aside: I’m getting frustrated with the visual quality of many things made before 1990. It looks like an intern crunched a DVD with the default settings in Handbreak: the interlacing is terrible. Try watching the Mickey Mouse short “Brave Little Tailor” for an egregious example. Much of the Vault Disney TV content also looks like it’s from home videotape, including commercials and VCR/VHS tracking!

VaderTron

Disney stock is surging upward this morning.
I truly believe the financial world has lost it's mind. 12.35% increase and still going. They announced nothing new. The "Star" streaming service is slated to stream content they already own, not new content, and won't debut until sometime in 2021...You know...right when people hope to be getting out of their homes and seeing the world again! Somehow that is worth a 12%+ increase??!!

I feel like that old person who doesn't recognize the world around them anymore...

UNCgolf

Well, to be fair, it's not like there was really anything to watch on ESPN+.

With that said, ESPN+ will only become a big deal if cord-cutters can subscribe to it and get access to everything being broadcast on ESPN, ESPN2, etc. like Monday Night Football. That's not the case right now (and may not ever be due to different rights issues); it's basically just access to some very minor additional games and some exclusive reporting content. If that does eventually happen, though, ESPN+ could become a profit machine.

JoeCamel

I truly believe the financial world has lost it's mind. 12.35% increase and still going. They announced nothing new. The "Star" streaming service is slated to stream content they already own, not new content, and won't debut until sometime in 2021...You know...right when people hope to be getting out of their homes and seeing the world again! Somehow that is worth a 12%+ increase??!!

I feel like that old person who doesn't recognize the world around them anymore...
If it is surging like that you know the Bobs aren't out there selling off their shares. Loose money looking for a place to sit.

ElvisMickey

And there’s still legacy content that’s not on it...Something Wicked This Way Comes, Watcher In The Woods, etc. I could care less about the new content. Give me everything Pre Iger.

Nubs70

90%+ decrease in revenue yields 12% increase in stock price??? Imagine how stock price would surge further if WDW had a 100% decrease in revenue.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And there’s still legacy content that’s not on it...Something Wicked This Way Comes, Watcher In The Woods, etc. I could care less about the new content. Give me everything Pre Iger.
You got most of it...and if you thirst for more you are very “niche”

New content has become the driver of streams.

I bet Disney HATES that

As much as I think people subscribe to get Delta Force (most awesomely bad movie ever)...‘‘tis not so

Last edited:

peter11435

That 12% increase is really just restoring value that was lost due to Covid. It’s still lower than it was before all this started.

RunningKoen

Is there a need for something new to justify a stock increase?

Maybe the numbers aren't as bad as expected, and there is the news that the parks are profitable with all the restrictions.
The company surviving well enough and the glimpse of profits in the future seems to be enough reasons for a stock increase ;-)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom