On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

Lilofan

No he wasn't. If you're going to fire an executive because you don't think they're doing a good job, you don't do it out of the blue right after they finished making a bunch of big business deals. That's not how large corporations operate.

No clue if the cocaine stuff is true (there are rumors it was actually due to sexual harassment type allegations), but it definitely wasn't business related. ESPN was doing just fine with Skipper at the helm (it was probably Disney's most profitable division), which is why he had no trouble getting other executive positions shortly after.
Read up on why and how John Skipper was fired. It's an interesting fall from grace.

Tom Morrow

A year ago the “insiders” were popping in in similar fashion about what a dismal failure SWGE was because it wasn’t seeing the crazy attendance they were anticipating and how this would lead to bad times.

Then Rise of the Resistance opened and 10,000 people were lining up at 5 AM. Oh whoops, it turns out Disney was just being overly cautious about what -might- happen and blocked too many people from being able to go, and most were just waiting for the main attraction to open.

Not saying the current situation isn’t bad, or not a much bigger deal than the success or failure of a new land, but maybe give it more than two weeks for Disney to correct course before calling bankruptcy.

Again, it’s been two weeks.

Nubs70

Not sure why your quoting me and are all foamy. I was responding to Trainchaser's post about DD shutting down 800 stores and clarifying what they are and why they are.

As to the rest of the your post, if you do some research on all those name brand stores/restaurant bankruptcies, would see a reoccurring thread running through most of them. They are trying to shed debt. Most were bought out by private equity companies, who then had the company borrow money to pay the PE company for the privilege of being purchased. A no cost purchase. Then they had any real estate they hold sold and the proceeds sent back to them as a special dividend. They then charge millions of dollars for management fees for their so called advice. So the company has no cash reserves and Billions in debt. Of course they have to file Chapter 11. Some will survive the process and some won't. The ones that do, will be loaded up with more debt and then Chapter 7'd. I feel sorry for the workers, but when a company is bought out by PE, its a kiss of death to the company. Any employee should head out the door before it implodes.

This same thing happened during the Great Recession...... Linen N' Things, Toy R Us, etc. Same thing.
Very nice summary of the PE process.

WDW Pro

I used to have that mentality around here but I decided not to ignore anyone and honestly I'm glad I did that. I've actually come to enjoy most of my conversations with @Sirwalterraleigh and actually have more common ground that initially thought.

I have a total on one ignored individual, and only two more who are trying to get on that list. That's pretty great on a site with hundreds or thousands of active contributors.

A year ago the “insiders” were popping in in similar fashion about what a dismal failure SWGE was because it wasn’t seeing the crazy attendance they were anticipating and how this would lead to bad times.

Then Rise of the Resistance opened and 10,000 people were lining up at 5 AM. Oh whoops, it turns out Disney was just being overly cautious about what -might- happen and blocked too many people from being able to go, and most were just waiting for the main attraction to open.

Not saying the current situation isn’t bad, or not a much bigger deal than the success or failure of a new land, but maybe give it more than two weeks for Disney to correct course before calling bankruptcy.

Again, it’s been two weeks.

I'm not sure that's an accurate synopsis of what insiders were saying.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's not a weird way. Its unethical. Its all but illegal. Passholders should have been given the option of freezing their pass until Disney is willing to honor the terms of the pass as marketed.
But it’s covered under terms and conditions and right of refusal when you buy your tickets.

The reality is we have “no power”...only bad PR and future profits hold them in check

Mr Bill

Why are they artificially capping demand on specific TYPES of guests? Seems like could at least unblock Cast Members same-day to get some F&B revenue.

My guess is they don't want a situation where resort guests can't get into a park because local APs reserved all the slots. Make sure the bigger spenders can get in first, then leave the rest of capacity for the day trip folks.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I've been told the property as a whole is profitable right now, but just, and is improving for the most part.

Some areas are performing better than expected, others are below - particularly EPCOT. This shouldn't really come as a surprise, as the park operated as a park-hop due to its limited headline attractions. All attention is on the Studios for most guests, and of course MK is always a popular choice.

Here is a photo walk around EPCCOT yesterday, around midday. Shots are not designed to emphasize high or low guest numbers, just the view as it happened.

Numbers are not in the hundreds, but way below the 10,000+ goal. I'm told some type of attendance driver is being looked at.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom