On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

socalifornian

I know nothing about sitcoms or dramas, but you're just wrong on live-action films. But you can wait to read it next month from THR. I have nothing to prove here.
The wait’s over!
>>The Atlanta-based mogul opens up about how he was able to complete the first quarantine TV production in the U.S.

Only things I’ve seen for here in LA are limited commercials, four days to finish up production on Ryan Murphy’s movie, and a day of pick-ups for Adam Sandler’s movie

doctornick

Disney's own internal reservation controls are their own worst enemy. They actually *believed* there was so much pent up demand that people would be overcrowding the resort clamoring to return. They were wrong. Disney is no more special than anyone else in a pandemic.

Fair enough. What I don't understand is if the parks are so undercrowded given their staffing levels/expectations, why aren't they (1) letting APs reserve more days to encourage them to go, (2) letting people park hop (by reserving a second park if they have the appropriate type of pass), and (3) relaxing restrictions on the CM's passes?

I don't know if any of those things have changed in recent weeks. I get they'd want to be safe and not have the system flooded with demand for slots so that resort guests would be able to reserve as desired. But as time goes on and they have real world data about utilization, they should be able to allow more relaxed booking guidelines to get to the park attendance numbers they want.

SpaceMountain77

I've said this for quite some time - there aren't enough high end clientele to fill the resort capacity at the parks consistently. What you're likely having are regular middle class families going into debt for a Disney vacation.

Among faculty, in higher education, and executives for a lifestyle brand, I regularly hid my Disney affinity because trips, to the Disneyland and Walt Disney World resorts, were viewed as either a one and done or laughable.

At Disney's Polynesian Village Resort, a standard view room averages $700-$800 per night, without any discounts or promotions. A 6-night room only stay can easily exceed $4,800. I have never known anyone with the ability to stay in a premium room on property to have the interest in doing so.

Honestly, one could easily assume that the recent in park experiences, such as the cabanas and express bus service, have failed because guests are already at ceiling for their spending limit. How many times can a family of four spent $10,000 - $15,000 for a week at Walt Disney World?

Last edited:

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Among faculty, in higher education, and executives for a lifestyle brand, I regularly hid my Disney affinity because trips, to the Disneyland and Walt Disney World resorts, were viewed as either a one and done or laughable.

At Disney's Polynesian Village Resort, at standard view room averages $700-$800 per night, without any discounts or promotions. A 6-night room only stay can easily exceed $4,800. I have never known anyone with the ability to stay in a premium room on property to have the interest in doing so.

Honestly, one could easily assume that the recent in park experiences, such as the cabanas and express bus service, have failed because guests are already at ceiling for their spending limit. How many times can a family of four spent $10,000 - $15,000 for a week at Walt Disney World?

For less than a week in the parks, my wife and I spent two weeks in Europe last year, went to five countries, stayed in excellent hotels, ate awesome meals, got drunk nightly, and saw several historic sights.

SpaceMountain77

For less than a week in the parks, my wife and I spent two weeks in Europe last year, went to five countries, stayed in excellent hotels, ate awesome meals, got drunk nightly, and saw several historic sights.

I was able to travel to Vienna, for a week, and airfare, hotel, meals, and sightseeing totaled $3,500. Also, no expense was spared with restaurant selection and the hotel was better than a WDW moderate.

BlackCauldron

At Disney's Polynesian Village Resort, at standard view room averages $700-$800 per night, without any discounts or promotions. A 6-night room only stay can easily exceed $4,800. I have never known anyone with the ability to stay in a premium room on property to have the interest in doing so.

My attorney colleagues feel the same way, although several have sung high praise for the Disney Cruise Line. Several go on at least two cruises per year.

WDW hotel stays? Not so much. Most will opt to stay at the Four Seasons or the Waldorf over any WDW hotel. The prices are too high and the perceived value just isn't there. And forget any of the "upcharge" experiences.

mkt

Premium Member
I was able to travel to Vienna, for a week, and airfare, hotel, meals, and sightseeing totaled $3,500. Also, no expense was spared with restaurant selection and the hotel was better than a WDW moderate.

We did London, Brussels, Bruges, Ghent, Cologne, Amsterdam, and Gothenburg. All of the hotels were at least 4 star and in our opinion comparable to or better than WDW deluxe, the trains were all first class, airfare was either premium economy or business, and the majority of the meals were absolutely amazing and expensive (the only "cheap" meals were my mandatory one-McDonalds meal per country eating only local market items, which I've done for years).

We spent less than $5k, including having to ship two giant boxes full of belgian beer back to the states.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
If you want to see something more depressing than the parks right now, look at new aircraft deliveries, deferrals, and how many new aircraft and reasonably young aircraft are being stored in the desert.
I read an article about that today. Very sad. Our “local” airport has been a bloodbath over the last year - Thomas Cook, FlyBe and all Virgins 747s littered the apron.

mkt

Premium Member
I read an article about that today. Very sad. Our “local” airport has been a bloodbath over the last year - Thomas Cook, FlyBe and all Virgins 747s littered the apron.

MIA has a lot of American Airlines's fleet parked, as well as several LATAM/LAN planes, and lots of small local charter carriers.

WDW Pro

Syfy show Wynonna Earp began filming in mid July

Never heard of it, but I'm glad they're up and running. I think there's a couple of Canadian television projects filming.

What? NJ has 2,204 cases per 100,000 people. Florida has 2051 per 100,000 people. Not too far off.

Cases versus deaths, and yes cases versus hospitalizations versus deaths matters tremendously.

I know nothing about sitcoms or dramas, but you're just wrong on live-action films. But you can wait to read it next month from THR. I have nothing to prove here.

All I know about is a film in Australia, one in the UK, two in Georgia (including a Tyler Perry film), and maybe some in China if you believe it. That's compared to a dozens, if not 100+, last year.

Piebald

I enjoy Disney (I mean no ****, I'm on this site) but I'm not sure how much I'd go if I wasnt a local. When I see these people going for 5-7+ days, staying at GF, taking their four bratty kids to Yachtsmans Steakhouse...it boggles my mind. Either people are much better with their finances than I presume (doubtful) or they're just really blowing a ton of money on an overpriced product and there are serious deficiencies somewhere else in their life. My fiancee and I love to travel. Given the option to go abroad of blow 2-3x the money at Disney...its an obvious choice.

Our only exception is Tokyo Disney, because we find it so wildly different and better on every level. And even then, the admission there is like 50usd and at least the price of the hotel makes sense to me (some of the resorts at WDW are glorified Days Inn hotels).

But still, point taken. I can fly to Europe and comfortably enjoy a trip for 2 weeks for the price of a 4 day Disney trip possibly not even including airfare.

mkt

Premium Member
But still, point taken. I can fly to Europe and comfortably enjoy a trip for 2 weeks for the price of a 4 day Disney trip possibly not even including airfare.

It can be a lot cheaper if you plan it right and don't splurge.

Pre Covid, I've seen MIA-LIS and MIA-CGN for $300-ish RT. So Lisbon or Cologne, both excellent cities.

You can find 3-star hotels for $60-70/nt through hotwire/priceline (and a European 3-star IME is equivalent to a 3.5-4 start in the US), and if you do it right, for under $100/day you can have 3 good meals, drink a fair bit, and get around the city you go to.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom