On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

hopemax

Our only exception is Tokyo Disney, because we find it so wildly different and better on every level. And even then, the admission there is like 50usd and at least the price of the hotel makes sense to me (some of the resorts at WDW are glorified Days Inn hotels).

Yep, the only time I've ever spent $600-$700/night on a hotel room was when we went to Tokyo Disney in December 2018. We had my Dad with us, so we needed a Triple, and since it was a bucket list trip, we stayed at the MiraCosta. It was worth every penny, and felt like a Deluxe experience. We were all going to go back this October and stay at the Disneyland Hotel, and none of us were fretting about the potential hotel cost. Then COVID, so now we wait.

I would love to stay on property at WDW again for the convenience. But I look at the prices, and I can't justify it over free at my Dad's house. So here's hoping those $99 WL rates mentioned by pheneix, materialize.

SpaceMountain77

My attorney colleagues feel the same way, although several have sung high praise for the Disney Cruise Line. Several go on at least two cruises per year.

WDW hotel stays? Not so much. Most will opt to stay at the Four Seasons or the Waldorf over any WDW hotel. The prices are too high and the perceived value just isn't there. And forget any of the "upcharge" experiences.

My observations are anecdotal, but Disney Cruise Line seems to be an exception to the rule. My professional colleagues who enjoy cruising prefer Disney Cruise Line and will pay for premium staterooms, but have entirely different perspectives on the parks and resorts.

Also, last year, I was traveling one or twice a month for work and experienced many hotels with nicer amenities and rooms with nightly rates comparable to a value resort (e.g., $175-200). Fellow business travelers likely know that Walt Disney World resort rooms are below the industry standard for the pricepoint at which they are offered. Yes, you do pay for on-property convenience and transportation, however I have stayed in Hotel Indigo rooms with layouts and local touches that surpass the recently reimagined rooms at French Quarter and Riverside.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
My attorney colleagues feel the same way, although several have sung high praise for the Disney Cruise Line. Several go on at least two cruises per year.

Funnily enough, my wife's attorney colleagues (most of who are also my drinking buddies) are usually up for a weekend in the parks...

WDW hotel stays? Not so much. Most will opt to stay at the Four Seasons or the Waldorf over any WDW hotel. The prices are too high and the perceived value just isn't there. And forget any of the "upcharge" experiences.

...but yeah, the Hilton or Waldorf are our go-to's when we have to pay for a place to stay. It also helps that we're HHonors diamond members, so the upgrades make it an insanely good deals.

RSoxNo1

So I was going to make a thread about this, but I'll just put it here. There are several options being discussed with a decision due soon.

1. MK and MK resorts open only (most dire)
2. Rotating AK and DHS days open
3. Making Epcot an afternoon only park
4. Temporarily shutting down Future World entirely

I don't know of any plans at the moment to close all parks two days a week. It could be true, I just haven't heard that until this thread.
I know the issues are totally unrelated, but they have botched the roll outs of SW:GE and the COVID return. In both cases you could suggest that Universal forced their hand to a degree.

I firmly believe that the move for WDW re-opening should have been MK or MK and DAK only, then roll in DHS as needed and then finally EPCOT as needed. I also suggested EPCOT be just World Showcase, no attractions, charge no admission and have it be a big food court.

TrainsOfDisney

It also helps that we're HHonors diamond members, so the upgrades make it an insanely good deals.

Which Hilton(s) do you get good upgrades at? The Hilton across from springs has never given me anything but it’s been a few years since I tried.

Now the Hilton in Anaheim... they have consistently treated me very good.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Which Hilton(s) do you get good upgrades at? The Hilton across from springs has never given me anything but it’s been a few years since I tried.

Now the Hilton in Anaheim... they have consistently treated me very good.

The Disney Springs one is a pain, but I've managed two upgrades there. I've also been treated well at the one by the convention center, same for the Caribe Hilton before hurricane Maria shut it down. Unfortunately most of my pre-covid work travels were to the crappier Hilton brands in which an upgrade just means a slightly bigger room.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom