Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

hopemax

I'm not professing evidence challenging the conventional wisdom, I'm pointing out the utter lack of evidence supporting it. The degree to which we are certain about anything is "not at all." In the absence of compelling evidence, my preference would be to err on the side of normalcy rather than paranoia.

Said another way, the burden of proof is on the party wanting to alter everyone's normal behavior. Absent convincing evidence one way or another, people should be left alone.
That's not how infectious diseases work. Or things like radiation.

Phil12

I'm not professing evidence challenging the conventional wisdom, I'm pointing out the utter lack of evidence supporting it. The degree to which we are certain about anything is "not at all." In the absence of compelling evidence, my preference would be to err on the side of normalcy rather than paranoia.
Considering that this virus can kill, my preference would be to err on the side of caution and embrace normalcy after an effective vaccine comes on line. 24 months of extra caution is well within my comfort level. I just bought another 50 disposable surgical grade masks.

disneygeek90

Back to the point of this thread:

Theme parks are not safe to be open right now.

They may take precautions, you may FEEL safe, but theme parks should not be open.

Theres a reason Disneyland is not allowed to open. There is a reason that we need to start small when it comes to reopening things.

Theme parks should not be open.
I walked into a neighborhood Walmart today (only to get cheap coffee pods, otherwise I steer clear) and I felt more uncomfortable in a roughly 7 minute trip in that store than I did the entire past 3 days at MK, US and Epcot.

I would argue that the way the parks have opened with reduced capacity and experiences is starting small. They’re doing everything possible that they can do to get life a little more back to normal while still being aware of the current environment.

Last edited:

Nubs70

Are hospitals testing everyone that comes in? Our local ones do not. They said that they test only if someone is showing symptoms. I imagine those in an area that has high numbers, like Florida, really should test everyone. The inconsistencies from area to area, especially at the heart of this situation, is very frustrating. I can't imagine that I am the only one that is fed up with how things have been handled. Also am angry at those who did not want to do what was necessary from the start. We all stayed home and did very limited shopping trips. Why was it so hard for some to sit their behinds at home? Also a bit miffed at those who hoarded toilet paper unnecessarily. Yep, still angry about that since I had to buy Scott's brand TP and that is like sand paper. LOL
In Michigan, you are tested before any inpatient or outpatient procedure.

Side note on TP, the away from home producers are taking down time as many are taking a dump at home. The at home producers are seeing a lesser negative impact as all thise at home are still burning through their stockpiles.

RaiseTheShields

Who knows how legit this is. I kinda doubt that more workers wouldn‘t have broken their silence if it is true. I guess there is a fear of losing their job, but there are ways to do it anonymously. Either way, I’ve said this before, anyone who visits a theme park in FL and thinks there aren’t workers there who are infected right now is kidding themselves. People know the risk going in.

Maybe there’s some sort of covid company hotline that the employees consult. Then the company takes it from there? Like maybe they coordinate testing for that employee as well as their leave of absence. Possibly contact their department for coworker (contact tracing) testing. Provide consultation, follow ups, support. Would that keep it internal? Or, maybe not.

mickey0825

at what point are people going to realize .....whichever side you are one...YOU ARE NOT GOING TO CONVINCE SOMEONE THAT THEIR POINT IS NOT VALID....some say parks should be closed...how dare you go?.......others say leave me alone and let me decide what is best for me and my family...... You're stupid if you go...you're stupid if you let fear take over your entire life....travel shaming......

this is just one circle that just keeps going around and around....just accept we all have different views and opinions and respect people for their own opinions and decisions they choose to make

chrisvee

Maybe there’s some sort of covid company hotline that the employees consult. Then the company takes it from there? Like maybe they coordinate testing for that employee as well as their leave of absence. Possibly contact their department for coworker (contact tracing) testing. Provide consultation, follow ups, support. Would that keep it internal? Or, maybe not.
why not OSHA or MySafeWorkspace?

October82

at what point are people going to realize .....whichever side you are one...YOU ARE NOT GOING TO CONVINCE SOMEONE THAT THEIR POINT IS NOT VALID....some say parks should be closed...how dare you go?.......others say leave me alone and let me decide what is best for me and my family...... You're stupid if you go...you're stupid if you let fear take over your entire life....travel shaming......

this is just one circle that just keeps going around and around....just accept we all have different views and opinions and respect people for their own opinions and decisions they choose to make

I've changed my mind about certain things based on the content of this and similar threads.

The point of conversation is to share perspective and try to understand where other people are coming from. Conversation isn't meaningless even if you still disagree at the end of it.

mickey0825

I've changed my mind about certain things based on the content of this and similar threads.

The point of conversation is to share perspective and try to understand where other people are coming from. Conversation isn't meaningless even if you still disagree at the end of it.
A majority of this thread is not conversation....its trying to shame/bully others into feeling bad about decisions they are making

October82

Said another way, the burden of proof is on the party wanting to alter everyone's normal behavior. Absent convincing evidence one way or another, people should be left alone.

I highly recommend that you read The Relativity of Wrong. It is a short essay by Issac Asimov where he discusses how scientific knowledge changes and develops. It was written long before the present situation, so regardless of how you feel about the reliability of public health officials, I hope you will keep an open mind towards what it says about science in general.

This is a novel virus. Of course we didn't know everything about it when the pandemic started. That's why scientists kept an open mind and learned new things. That is what science and medicine are. Processes of learning new things. Just because we didn't know something a few months ago doesn't mean that we don't know it much better today.

mickey0825

I don't think I would agree with that. I would say that most of it has been civil disagreement. Criticizing someone's views is not the same as bullying or shaming them.
i will respectfully disagree....it amazes me how some people, especially behind the anonymity of the internet feel they have the right to tell others what they should do....but i'll leave it at that and just say I disagree

RaiseTheShields

A majority of this thread is not conversation....its trying to shame/bully others into feeling bad about decisions they are making

You are so right. Then those same posters try to act innocent or play the victim - Even with their own history of shaming/bullying on threads they are active in or even have been removed from. Can dish it but not take
It I suppose.

ETA: My apologies. It’s not this thread I’m thinking of but the one with the “dynamic duo.”

Last edited:

chrisvee

OSHA reporting didn’t even occur to me - that is a great point and most likely better than a company hotline. The other (mysafeworkspace) is not something I’m familiar with. Will have to look it up. Thanks for the insight!
mysafeworkspace is an anonymous incident reporting system but a company has to retain their services. the reports go back to the company for resolution.

OSHA treats Covid-19 as a recordable illness so presumably anonymous tips would be taken seriously although I can’t claim how well they protect identities

Casper Gutman

i will respectfully disagree....it amazes me how some people, especially behind the anonymity of the internet feel they have the right to tell others what they should do....but i'll leave it at that and just say I disagree
Everyone has the right to tell others what they think they should do, of course. No one has to listen or obey, and they are free to explain why they disagree - or simply ignore the comments, which should be really easy on a theme park message board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom