Pre-Trip We are going back!

First order of business - I am not making light of Covid-19. My entire family has had it and has recovered. Myself, Val, Sterg and Toni caught it from a family member that was in NYC way back in March. Val had it the worse - fever and in bed for a week. I was asymptomatic, Sterg felt "a little" under the weather and Toni lost the sense of taste for a few days. Alexandra, my oldest, caught it in Las Vegas during one of her stints as a traveling nurse. She was also asymptomatic but had to self-quarantine.

So Covid-19 has had an impact on my family. Additionally, my 92 year old Aunt tested positive in March but fully recovered. Sadly we could not see her. The best we could do was knock on the window of her room and wave as we stood between the bushes. She unfortunately passed away a couple weeks ago from congestive heart disease ( the Doctors gave her 3 months to live - almost 18 months ago!).

Second order of business - (most of) the Fractal family is going back to Disney World! I made reservation under convention rates late last year. Little did I know what was to transpire. After the Covid-19 outbreak, the convention was cancelled. However -
Disney still honored the reservation and under the convention rates which were a fraction of off the shelf rates. We have reservations at the new Destino Towers at Coranado Springs Resort from July 21st through the 26th!

The room however only sleeps 4 which is a problem when you have a family of 5. After our last trip, my wife Val proclaimed that she was never going back to Disney. I made these reservation under that directive but currently it's causing some "angst".
Needless to say, I'm committed to going back and my children are thrilled beyond belief. I want to see the new Star Wars land - even if I have to don a mask - and want to ride Mickey's runaway train at DHS, not to mention Toy Story Land!

Alex has taken off - her new assignment is in Columbia South Carolina, and Sterg and Toni are game.

Here they are from last Christmas with their "HI" hats. Hi is a weird thing in our family. If I say I'm going to get a fountain drink from Wawa the response could go something like this; "Hi fountain drink". If I say I'm going for a run after work I may expect this response; "Hi running after work." Almost anything is game for a "HI" comment.

20191225-DSC04850-X3.jpg

More to come!

Last edited:

cgersic

Not sure which is harder to believe; that it's been three long years since we've been to WDW, that we are now within 4 days of going back, or that we are going back admits a pandemic. I have to admit that this is the least excited I've been for a Disney trip. Somehow almost everything ones does today has become political and questionable. My entire family has had the virus and I've had all take an antibody test within the last 10 days. We are all on the other side of this yet I know people are judging. I know some will question our trip to Florida. "Is it really that important?", "Why are you risking your health and your family's health for a trip to an amusement park?"

Well, after much research into the whole thing I do feel we are in good shape to take this trip. Especially with the precautions that Disney has taken. The purpose of a potential vaccine is to build antibodies in you similar to what we now have. I am working on not feeling "guilty" about this and feeling like we are doing something harmful. We are not. I see it as making lemonade out of lemons.

I switched employers about a year and a half ago and it's been a good move but I would be lying if I said the last 6 months have not been stressful. I haven't taken a week off for vacation since February of 2019 and I really need to recharge my batteries. Nothing can do that better than WDW; at least for me. A week there will clear my mind and psyche and I have been looking forward to doing that.

As a group, we can all use this trip as each one of us has had their own fill of anxiety. Toni has had to deal with a senior high school year cut short; missing out on her prom, her graduation, and her senior dance recital. Sterg in his first year as a professional has had to deal with his hours cut in half along with his pay. He wants to set off on his own but this has made it financially impossible. Alex is doing great in her job but it's also her profession as a nurse that gave her Covid-19. Her current stint in South Carolina has become increasing stressful. Val is slowing getting back to her job but the continuous changing of rules and directives by our Governor is making things very difficult for the company she's working for. As for myself, being in the investment business the last 6 months have been literally insane. I've gone from trying to convince people to not pull all their money out of the market to convince them to not put all of their money in airline and cruise line stocks. The emotions of Fear and Greed have not gone away and the swings between the two has made things very challenging of late.

So having said all this, I'm really trying to get myself into an acceptance of how things are, how some people think and judge and how I need to let all that go and enjoy a week of something I truly love; spending time with my family in Walt Disney World.
I'm so glad you all decided to go ahead and go. You will enjoy this as much as I did, if not more, since you have your family to join you! I did not post any photos on FB due to the people making judgments and I didn't want to hear it. I do not feel guilty at all for having gone, especially as I saw 100% mask compliance. I don't get that in my local grocery store, and I live on an island! Looking forward to seeing you all having a grand time!

fractal

Original Poster
I'm so glad you all decided to go ahead and go. You will enjoy this as much as I did, if not more, since you have your family to join you! I did not post any photos on FB due to the people making judgments and I didn't want to hear it. I do not feel guilty at all for having gone, especially as I saw 100% mask compliance. I don't get that in my local grocery store, and I live on an island! Looking forward to seeing you all having a grand time!
Thanks! We are having fun despite all the restrictions and modifications. Glad you had a good time!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom