The Red Button Option

lewisc

When you're charging $200-400 a night for a room, you're also going to have trouble filling rooms.

After 911 Disney realized further discounts weren't going to motivate guests who had safety concerns travelling. Deeper discounts would merely result in les $$$ from guests willing to visit. Closing resorts and sections of resorts was the answer.

Lowering room rates isnt going to change safety concerns.

Oskar

There has never been any plan called the “secure circuit” and there was never a plan just to keep MK and the monorail resorts open. You continue to push vague conjecture based on news reports of the day and for those of us who actually do work in the company and know what’s going on - it’s insanely frustrating.

While there may be small nuggets of truth in things you say, it is 99% bad guessing by someone who has no idea how the company actually works.

Please stop humoring this person y’all. I beg you.

It’s great when the second post in a thread saves you the trouble of having to read through pages and pages.

And there’s a piece of very, very prevalent advice in the last line.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
google search:

“U.S. Attorney General William Barr accused Hollywood studios like Disney and U.S. tech companies like Apple for being “all too willing” to collaborate with the Chinese government in order to access the country’s market.”

Source:

1. He’s a joke
2. He’s also probably 100% right.

I laugh at the concept that any figure in power points a finger at anyone else and claims “outrage” with a connection to China. It’s as if everyone has slept through the economics since the 1970s?

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Splash is the perfect barometer. It was announced, is relevant to current events, would result in a huge amount of egg on their face if it didn't happen, and has been said to be pushed to the front of the line ahead of other projects. It being dropped says a lot about the situation. It's also something a lot of fans are unhappy with, so a little good news sprinkled into the rest isn't a bad thing.

Maybe I missed something but other than the clickbait in the op, has anyone else mentioned this?

SilentWindODoom

That splash retheme is being walked back.

OP's mention of it among other projects being reconsidered is the only thing I've heard. I was just responding to someone who questioned how odd/irrelevant Splash was among the news by commenting on how telling this would be if it is indeed true.

It’s great when the second post in a thread saves you the trouble of having to read through pages and pages.

And there’s a piece of very, very prevalent advice in the last line.

Insiders vouched for OP and his info in his initial thread on the state of things. I didn't put much stock in the combatitive reply and have seen a lot of negative responses being based on something that changed behind the scenes. I've been around for a long time and I've been not around for a good amount of time too so I'm still getting the handle on who are the trusted voices and who isn't. Is he a trusted voice with knowledge of things going on?

scpergj

After 911 Disney realized further discounts weren't going to motivate guests who had safety concerns travelling. Deeper discounts would merely result in les $$$ from guests willing to visit. Closing resorts and sections of resorts was the answer.

Lowering room rates isnt going to change safety concerns.

true, but my wife and I are looking at a trip in October an cannot find a room on property for less than $191 + parking (Pop Century!) per night (we live in Florida and drive). We can get our choice on Hotel Plaza Boulevard for half of that, or in Bonnet Creek for a good bit less as well, so that is what we will do. None of the value resorts are worth that kind of money. I’d spend that for a moderate with no problem, but can find better value elsewhere.

we have already been since they reopened - passholder preview - and understand what we will be dealing with.

Kingoglow

When you're charging $200-400 a night for a room, you're also going to have trouble filling rooms.

This right here. No one from out of state is going to risk their health to pay rack rate at WDW. POP at $180 per night? Please. That's why it isn't filling up.

They just can't charge prices like that. They have to know this, that's why the run promotions every single day, every year. No one is going to pay $180 for POP.

Put on the 50% discounts and try that.

peter11435

This right here. No one from out of state is going to risk their health to pay rack rate at WDW. POP at $180 per night? Please. That's why it isn't filling up.

They just can't charge prices like that. They have to know this, that's why the run promotions every single day, every year. No one is going to pay $180 for POP.

Put on the 50% discounts and try that.
But people will risk their life for a good deal?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Who could have guessed they'd have trouble filling rooms during a pandemic when 85% of their customers come from out of state?
Especially when a lot of your clientele are international - and the reopening of international air travel has just been pushed back again.

As an aside DLP is currently running at 2/3 resort capacity for now and I bet is nowhere near filling that this year. And that’s with Europe’s overall coronavirus progress being much further ahead that the US (and the backwards direction of Florida’s)

WDW Pro

Original Poster
The NYT has extensive reporting that the hackers only downloaded the data of 8 users, so the OP premise of all sorts of Disney accounts being accessed is far fetched.

As one of the people on the board who’s in the political strategy arena professionally, the idea that TWDC would sell these stakes right now or shortly seems preposterous as DC is seeing wholesale movement on K Street for a Democratic takeover in January. A new administration’s China policy is going to look a lot different. No move of such magnitude would seriously be made without guidance of what DC looks like in January.

The information about Twitter is developing. You're early to make any conclusions, and Disney likely isn't going to risk it. As for the possibility of selling Shanghai, I can only presume you didn't actually read this thread... as you're arguing for what I've stated, not against.

Castmbr

As one of the people on the board who’s in the political strategy arena professionally, the idea that TWDC would sell these stakes right now or shortly seems preposterous as DC is seeing wholesale movement on K Street for a Democratic takeover in January. A new administration’s China policy is going to look a lot different. No move of such magnitude would seriously be made without guidance of what DC looks like in January.

Interesting about K street..... I think they are a bit out of touch with Main Street USA

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
true, but my wife and I are looking at a trip in October an cannot find a room on property for less than $191 + parking (Pop Century!) per night (we live in Florida and drive). We can get our choice on Hotel Plaza Boulevard for half of that, or in Bonnet Creek for a good bit less as well, so that is what we will do. None of the value resorts are worth that kind of money. I’d spend that for a moderate with no problem, but can find better value elsewhere.

we have already been since they reopened - passholder preview - and understand what we will be dealing with.

We are in the same situation, except we are coming from out of state. With so many other good deals around the area, there is no way we will stay on property like we usually do. Not everyone considers a trip about risking their health. We have both had it, and I trust my doctor that we don't have to worry about being re-infected in the short term.

No Name

If Bob Sr. doesn’t want Bob Jr. to make the big decisions, he shouldn’t have made him CEO.

Just spit balling here...Is the reason why Shanghai DL is so vastly different somewhat of a way of Disney covering their butts if they ever needed to surrender the park due to international relations. Now I'm not as on top of everything SDL has to offer but it doesn't seem as "Disney" and IP heavy. Could that be the reason why its so different? Am I making sense? I ask because I don't know enough about it but just thinking quickly.

It has a larger percentage of IP-based attractions than any other castle park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom