The Red Button Option

tirian

Every time I read these kinds of threads it feels like bait for the anti-Disney trolls.

Disney will be fine. If Disney was really in this bad shape why don't they start bankruptcy proceedings already?

Speaking of bait... https://www.piratesandprincesses.ne...ong-kong-and-shanghai-disneyland-theme-parks/
But you read them. ;)

Nah, it’s just insightful to know what’s happening behind the scenes. As many people have said over the years, there are always contingency plans that may not actually happen, but that doesn’t mean they weren’t legitimate at the time. It’s just something for fans to discuss on forums, similar to movies and video games that might’ve been but never were.

Slpy3270

But you read them. ;)

Nah, it’s just insightful to know what’s happening behind the scenes. As many people have said over the years, there are always contingency plans that may not actually happen, but that doesn’t mean they weren’t legitimate at the time. It’s just something for fans to discuss on forums, similar to movies and video games that might’ve been but never were.

I just find it obnoxious and childish. If this were anything like the late Eisner years the spat would be far more public than what is being seen at the moment. Plus there's no "Save Disney" campaign within the company going on right now.

If Disney were actually in financial trouble or executive meltdown (i.e. to the point where they can't even pay their debts on time and are actually teetering on the edge of bankruptcy or Iger and Chapek going at it in the boardroom), we'd know that through legitimate and reliable sources, not fansites and forum threads. So far there aren't any stories of the sort.

Lilofan

I just find it obnoxious and childish. If this were anything like the late Eisner years the spat would be far more public than what is being seen at the moment. Plus there's no "Save Disney" campaign within the company going on right now.

If Disney were actually in financial trouble or executive meltdown (i.e. to the point where they can't even pay their debts on time and are actually teetering on the edge of bankruptcy or Iger and Chapek going at it in the boardroom), we'd know that through legitimate and reliable sources, not fansites and forum threads. So far there aren't any stories of the sort.
8/4/20 Listen to the public quarterly earnings report with Iger and Wall Street

Slpy3270

8/4/20 Listen to the public quarterly earnings report with Iger and Wall Street

If the report doesn't mention plans to sell major assets or contain the phrase "continue as a going concern" then I wouldn't be too worried.

What we should be worried about is if they plan to lay off most of the workers still furloughed. That isn't really for financial reasons, but just to appease the short-sellers.

Lilofan

If the report doesn't mention plans to sell major assets or contain the phrase "continue as a going concern" then I wouldn't be too worried.

What we should be worried about is if they plan to lay off most of the workers still furloughed. That isn't really for financial reasons, but just to appease the short-sellers.
Isn't really for financial reasons? Did you ever own a business or were in charge of one and you were held accountable for a budget?

Last edited:

Slpy3270

Isn't really for financial reasons? Did you ever own a business or were in charge of one and you were held accountable for a budget?

WWE was still guaranteed to make hundreds of millions in profits even during the pandemic and yet they still laid off dozens of people just to keep their precious pre-pandemic forecasts.

Disney will likely still turn a profit this year despite the pandemic. Sure, it may be down a little from last year, but still a profit nonetheless. There's no reason for Disney to follow WWE's path.

Last edited:

Sir_Cliff

Disney will likely still turn a profit this year despite the pandemic. Sure, it may be down a little from last year, but still a profit nonetheless. There's no reason for Disney to follow WWE's path.
Where on earth is all that profit going to come from? Why are they spending so much on those parks and resorts if they can close them or massively reduce capacity and there's only a little drop in profits? Same for the movies...

Tom P.

This is a really good article which supports some of WDWPros points. The quote below is really interesting:

“The Chinese Communist Party thinks in terms of decades and centuries, while we tend to focus on the next quarter’s earnings report.”
This quote does encapsulate a great deal of what is wrong with corporate America. The focus on one quarter at a time, instead of the long haul, is really hurting businesses.

JBM5113

Rian Johnson deleted his Twitter. I wonder if there were any internal discussions regarding the Star Wars trilogy failures and/or internal disputes over the final cut of The Rise of Skywalker
I saw that as well. I couldn’t help but wonder if there may not have been some Star Wars Discussion in his Twitter DM’s. I will say, given the current financial state, maybe subverting expectations With the Last Jedi wasn’t the best business idea.

Screamface

I saw that as well. I couldn’t help but wonder if there may not have been some Star Wars Discussion in his Twitter DM’s. I will say, given the current financial state, maybe subverting expectations With the Last Jedi wasn’t the best business idea.

A Disney executive looking for sure-fire hits to help the companies recovery, probably just realised they can't do an Animated Luke Skywalker series starring Mark Hamill.

Last edited:

alphac2005

The NYT has extensive reporting that the hackers only downloaded the data of 8 users, so the OP premise of all sorts of Disney accounts being accessed is far fetched.

As one of the people on the board who’s in the political strategy arena professionally, the idea that TWDC would sell these stakes right now or shortly seems preposterous as DC is seeing wholesale movement on K Street for a Democratic takeover in January. A new administration’s China policy is going to look a lot different. No move of such magnitude would seriously be made without guidance of what DC looks like in January.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom