News Disney confirms multiple EPCOT projects are paused

Surferboy567

Just to set this straight the ONLY THREE THINGS confirmed to be postponed or cancelled is:

Spaceship Earth- Still happening (just delayed as per many insiders)

Poppins- RIP

Festival Center- RIP

That leaves:

Moana- Still ON (according to insiders)

HarmoniUS- Seemingly Still ON

PLAY!- Still ON

Guardians- Still ON

Dreamers Point- ON?

Rat- Still ON

Spine- Still ON just modified

Entrance Fountain- Still ON

Space 220- Still ON

As you can see EPCOT is still getting plenty.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Just to set this straight the ONLY THREE THINGS confirmed to be postponed or cancelled is:

Poppins- RIP

Festival Center- RIP

That leaves:

PLAY!- Still ON

Guardians- Still ON

Dreamers Point- ON?

Rat- Still ON

Space 220- Still ON

Long overdue...the place was half vacant...of course they won’t “reverse” things already constructed...Nothing else for next forever

...on second thought - nevermind 🙄

Sir_Cliff

I do wish the Festival Center were to stay. It was the only new piece of architecture that seemed very EPCOT-ish, IMO.

Not to mention a great opportunity for a venue to pay for itself.
I'm glad I'm not the only person who thought the Festival Center at least looked interesting.

If they were going to find a way to rebuild the Communicore structure in some form I wouldn't mind so much. If the replacement is just going to be gardens and a few temporary structures (which seems likely if Moana is still on), this casualty of the current situation does seem kind of a shame. Not unexpected and understandable, but still...

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Before all this I reflected back to 2007 where they couldn’t even complete Spaceship Earth. I saw them destroy Epcot and said this can go really wrong ad I think I had a point. The demolished the fountain, one Innoventions building and the landscapes. There is no turning back, they either need to lay walkway and plant grass or put thing back to as close to what they were as they can. I doubt where getting the fountain back or the new purposed one. They could also be putting Journey thru water in the empty space which would make sense.

Last edited:

Tavernacle12

I remember hearing a rumor that at one point imagination had one of the biggest budgets for the Future World overhaul. P sure at this point the chance of that becoming the case is Dead. RIP

I’m not saying it’s likely, but I could have sworn Marni said it was really far out as a project anyways. I can see it still happening, just because it’s so far out it was never on the near term schedule in the first place.

Like, if they were blue skying it for 2028, and normalcy returns in 2024, that’s still plenty of time for it to arrive.

raymusiccity

Sad to loose a new project like Poppins, last I heard it wasn't going to be a ride, but some sort of carousel. Looks like for the time being, we are left to wonder what could've been.

Makes me sad that Fountain of Nations was demolished, let alone for what it was going to be replaced with.

SSE needs some love and care, not a full overhaul, imo. Hopefully it'll get the effort and investment it deserves.
Hindsight's 20/20, but, it's still very sad to have demolished a perfectly good Starbucks, Club Cool, and a fully functioning character meet and greet. :( How long will we now be stuck with a maze of plywood walkways !?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Poppins- RIP

Festival Center- RIP

That leaves:

PLAY!- Still ON

Guardians- Still ON

Dreamers Point- ON?

Rat- Still ON

Space 220- Still ON

The Festival Center is not RIP. According to Blog Mickey, a source from Disney confirmed to them -- in response to a query about the Epcot Experience redactions -- is that:

...the company [Disney] has issued a statement saying that they will be “taking a different approach” to the previously announced Festival Center. ... Disney said that work is set to resume for the new World Celebration neighborhood soon, but that there will be changes to the previously announced Festival Center. They didn’t say what changes would be made, and they didn’t say that it was cancelled outright.

Additionally, Poppins is postponed according to Disney as reported by Laughing Place.
  • Today, some guests visiting the EPCOT Experience preview center noticed that references to the Spaceship Earth and Mary Poppins projects had been removed.
  • When asked about the change, Disney confirmed that both attractions were postponing development.
  • Disney is reassessing projects in light of the current situation, with some projects moving forward such as the recently announced retheme of Splash Mountain to feature characters from Princess and the Frog.

So, an updated list:

Epcot Spine:
  • Entrance landscaping construction: Done, but further enhancements like flowers and topiaries are delayed
  • Entrance fountain: waiting for signs of construction to pick back up
  • Spaceship Earth Thematic Refurb - Delayed until beginning of next year (confirmed by many insiders), or later if things aren't going well (which is the case of just about everything)
  • Festival Center - In the process of being reimagined (so, it's likely that the three tiered Center won't be built)
  • Innoventions West - status unknown, was supposed to be demo'd to make way for Festival Center and part of Journey of Water
  • Journey of Water feature featuring Moana-ishisms - Still on, but maybe will have to be redesigned if Innoventions West isn't demo'd
  • World Celebration - "World Celebration" is still a thing. Parts of it that were revealed now have an unknown status including:
    • Dreamer's Point,
    • Wishing Tree,
    • new hub fountain, and
    • entertainment.
  • Mouse Gears - fully demo'd. Waiting to see if construction starts on a new store with a new theme.
  • Electric Umbrella - Supposed to become a newly themed table service and QS restaurant. However, no demolition was started before the lockdown. So....
    • it may have a chance to come back as is (and save money), or,
    • they may go ahead with the retheme and refresh, or,
    • they leave it shuttered.

Elsewhere:
  • Poppins - Delayed, as in won't even start until who knows when
  • Harmonious - Delayed, still a lot more construction to go. Epcot Forever may return if Harmonious isn't ready for when fireworks shows are allowed again.
  • PLAY! - Still on
  • Guardians - Still on
  • Rat - Still on
  • Space 220 - Still on, but construction isn't finished and the opening is dependent on 3rd party vendor, so, unknown timeframe
  • Wondrous China seamless 360 - Still on, but even before COVID, timeframe was unclear
  • Imagination: Stop. Asking. Please. Disney decided not to do anything with Imagination for the 50th, so if anything were to happen, a decision to do something is still years away, if ever. Having ideas floating about, is not the same as planning to do any of them.

Last edited:

Surferboy567

The Festival Center is not RIP, according to Blog Mickey a source from Disney confirmed to them in response to the Epcot Experience redactions, is that:
...the company [Disney] has issued a statement saying that they will be “taking a different approach” to the previously announced Festival Center. ... Disney said that work is set to resume for the new World Celebration neighborhood soon, but that there will be changes to the previously announced Festival Center. They didn’t say what changes would be made, and they didn’t say that it was cancelled outright.

Additionally, Poppins is postponed according to Disney as reported by Laughing Place.
  • Today, some guests visiting the EPCOT Experience preview center noticed that references to the Spaceship Earth and Mary Poppins projects had been removed.
  • When asked about the change, Disney confirmed that both attractions were postponing development.
  • Disney is reassessing projects in light of the current situation, with some projects moving forward such as the recently announced retheme of Splash Mountain to feature characters from Princess and the Frog.

So, an updated list:

Epcot Spine:
  • Entrance landscaping construction: Done, but further enhancements like flowers and topiaries are delayed
  • Spaceship Earth Thematic Refurb - Delayed until beginning of next year (confirmed by many insiders), or later if things aren't going well (which is the case of just about everything)
  • Festival Center - In the process of being reimagined (so, it's likely that the three tiered Center won't be built)
  • Innoventions West - status unknown, was supposed to be demo'd to make way for Festival Center and part of Journey of Water
  • Journey of Water feature featuring Moana-ishisms - Still on, but maybe will have to be redesigned if Innoventions West isn't demo'd
  • World Celebration - "World Celebration" is still a thing. Parts of it that were revealed now have an unknown status including:
    • Dreamer's Point,
    • Wishing Tree,
    • new hub fountain, and
    • entertainment.
  • Mouse Gears - fully demo'd. Waiting to see if construction starts on a new store with a new theme.
  • Electric Umbrella - not sure if demolition started there. Supposed to become a newly themed table service and QS restaurant. Don't know anything about (re)construction in there.

Elsewhere:
  • Harmonious - Delayed, still a lot more construction to go. Epcot Forever may return if Harmonious isn't ready for when fireworks shows are allowed again.
  • PLAY! - Still on
  • Guardians - Still on
  • Rat - Still on
  • Space 220 - Still on, but opening dependent on 3rd party vendor, so, unknown timeframe
  • Wondrous China seamless 360 - Still on, but even before COVID, timeframe was unclear
  • Imagination: Stop. Asking. Please. Years away, if ever.

Thank you for the clarification.

JustInTime

The Festival Center is not RIP. According to Blog Mickey, a source from Disney confirmed to them -- in response to a query about the Epcot Experience redactions -- is that:

So, an updated list:

Epcot Spine:
    • Dreamer's Point,
    • Wishing Tree,
    • new hub fountain, and
    • entertainment.
  • Electric Umbrella - Supposed to become a newly themed table service and QS restaurant. However, no demolition was started before the lockdown. So....
    • it may have a chance to come back as is (and save money), or,
    • they may go ahead with the retheme and refresh, or,
    • they leave it shuttered.

Elsewhere:
  • PLAY! - Still on
  • Guardians - Still on
  • Rat - Still on
  • Space 220 - Still on, but opening dependent on 3rd party vendor, so, unknown timeframe
  • Imagination: Stop. Asking. Please. Disney decided not to do anything with Imagination for the 50th, so if anything were to happen, a decision to do something is still years away, if ever. Having ideas floating about, is not the same as planning to do any of them.
We know what’s officially being said. But postponed is essentially the kiss of death for Disney Parks. Plus insiders have all but confirmed these are canceled...

Cmdr_Crimson

Umm... I'm picking up something different:
Electric Umbrella was slated to become a new sit-down/QS space. If they started the demo in there, it ain't coming back under its old form.

Well, again this just my thoughts here..
From Biorconstructs aerials the outside tables are still intact and unless they gutted the interior already I'd be surprised..While they could retheme it I think the layout will stay..IMO.
No character spots are returning until a vaccine is found. It's all from a distance for a long while.
I'm Referring to once it's said and done and they go back to the way it was previous..

Epcot Experience is still advertising China 360
For now....Until they cut it...Unless they are close to even starting anything..

There's no building for Starbucks to come back to.
There's a nice big flat piece of land they just leveled and now with the changes I wouldn't be surprised if they move the world showcase one closer back to the plaza.. Side Note: Free coke tasteing on the other hand I doubt will ever return and stay out at the Spring.

JustInTime

I actually great with Poppins being canceled. The exteriors in World Showcase have always been based somewhat on real places. Poppins would have felt a bit too fantasyland for me.

I just REALLY want the imagination reboot to happen and it’s not looking likely. :(

And SSE is so rough. It needs an overhaul

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom