News Disney confirms multiple EPCOT projects are paused

Lilofan

"Fixed" is a very loose term in this case. Throwing some chairs up there and closing off the main attraction of the upstairs was a bandaid, if that.

I SO wish they would make a new Figment/Dreamfinder attraction based on the comic! As much as I adored the original attraction I know it's dead. But a new story with those characters based on the style of the comics would be amazing. It would breathe new life into the pavilion, make the classic Epcot lovers happy and make it relevant to the new generation who became familiar with the comics.
Needed someplace for DVC members that seem to be satisfied with a place of their own.

Marc Davis Fan

As other posters have said: it doesn't seem clear which projects are being cancelled / postponed / cut back, apart from (1) the SSE redo, (2) Mary Poppins, and (3) the "central spine" construction. Is it only those three things, plus ones that were not yet announced? Or do we think the budget/timeline for GotG:CR and Ratatouille are being affected, and perhaps most notably, do we think it affects the budget for HarmonioUS?

I think it'll be most interesting to see what's coming to the "central spine." Almost anything is better than the visually-contradictory clutter that it had turned into over the years...

Walt d

Sad to loose a new project like Poppins, last I heard it wasn't going to be a ride, but some sort of carousel. Looks like for the time being, we are left to wonder what could've been.

Makes me sad that Fountain of Nations was demolished, let alone for what it was going to be replaced with.

SSE needs some love and care, not a full overhaul, imo. Hope it gets the effort and investment it deserves in the future.
Mmm really should focus on Mary, for all the kidos.

Bismuth

I remember hearing a rumor that at one point imagination had one of the biggest budgets for the Future World overhaul. P sure at this point the chance of that becoming the case is Dead. RIP

WEDway Inc & Company LLC

After all this time. Disney could have worked on the Epcot overhaul years ago.

But Disney has ignored it. Epcot is officially the worst Disney park in the world. Most of its attractions have been neglected far too long.

Blame the cheap and lazy executives for chasing stupid trendy IP fads.

Then the coronavirus ruined everything. The Epcot overhaul has died.

Figment will never get revamped! No Festival Center! No Journey of Water! Most of the new Epcot pavilion symbols like the Festival Center and Moana is just worthless now.

Epcot will never be fixed! Disney doesn't care. They have been cheap and lazy far too long.

EPCOT overhaul has died!

Eric Idle and Judi Dench are immortal. 2002 CG Figment will still keep skunk farting in your face.

Blame Iger, Cheapek, and Imagineering for being paint by the numbers and chasing trending IPs instead of focusing on what made Epcot special in the first place.

We give up. The Epcot transformation is dead. Because Disney gave up.

7A9F6BB7-B855-4EA0-8B2E-4B2E6BC96FA1.png

DVCakaCarlF

As other posters have said: it doesn't seem clear which projects are being cancelled / postponed / cut back, apart from (1) the SSE redo, (2) Mary Poppins, and (3) the "central spine" construction. Is it only those three things, plus ones that were not yet announced? Or do we think the budget/timeline for GotG:CR and Ratatouille are being affected, and perhaps most notably, do we think it affects the budget for HarmonioUS?

I think it'll be most interesting to see what's coming to the "central spine." Almost anything is better than the visually-contradictory clutter that it had turned into over the years...
I would assume this upcoming earnings call will make some statement to that effect.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Hmm, I guess this means..
  • Electric Umbrella is spared
  • Epcot character spot returns
  • Epcot Experience gets overhauled
  • China 360 seamless screen put on hold
  • Starbucks comes back and becomes a pavilion logo icon...*sad trumpet*
Also, I still wish they could just shut the screens off in SSE...or put on the Irons audio instead..

Umm... I'm picking up something different:
  • Electric Umbrella was slated to become a new sit-down/QS space. Since they didn't start demo, it *could* remain Electric Umbrella, or, they could go ahead with the retheme and refresh, or, let it sit there vacant.
  • No character spots are returning until a vaccine is found. It's all from a distance for a long while.
  • Epcot Experience already got a bit of an overhaul: Poppins and the SSE refurb were removed. Also, the Festival Center model (3 tiered cake) was removed and replaced with a GotG model.
  • Epcot Experience is still advertising China 360.
  • There's no building for Starbucks to come back to.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom