Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MotherOfBirds

If she had the symptoms and went to the first aid why in the heck did Disney allow her to continue walking around the parks that day let alone the next day. The story sounds suspect

I'm not sure when it's very obviously not due to a nut allergy. Even if it was, she could also be an asymptomatic carrier, and coughing/vomiting while in the parks poses a danger to CM's and guests. I know ejecting people who show symptoms could exacerbate the zombie bite problem, but knowingly letting them walk around is worse.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The good news is that no one ever listened to the... anyone... that said we shouldn't do more testing. We're up to over 600k per day int he US, which has been a pretty impressive growth. No other country is even at half that rate and only a few are above us in per capita testing. So this *should* help isolate cases. Though we seem to be as anti-contact-tracing as a nation as we are anti-mask.

View attachment 483165
I don’t get the anti-contact tracing thing. Are people really just that selfish and self centered? You have a virus which may or may not be dangerous for you personally, but if you spread it to others it could be deadly to them or the people they come in direct contact with. Why would anyone not want to do everything in their power to avoid being the cause of someone else getting sick and potentially dying? I don’t get it.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I don’t get the anti-contact tracing thing. Are people really just that selfish and self centered?.
It seems a sizeable minority sadly are. You saw the beaches, the night clubs, the gatherings.

The state made the news. Again. Sadly.

26C4E04D-EE23-494D-824B-7337F22946D0.jpeg

oceanbreeze77

The good news is that no one ever listened to the... anyone... that said we shouldn't do more testing. We're up to over 600k per day int he US, which has been a pretty impressive growth. No other country is even at half that rate and only a few are above us in per capita testing. So this *should* help isolate cases. Though we seem to be as anti-contact-tracing as a nation as we are anti-mask.

View attachment 483165
lets also hope that they dont continue with closing federal testing sites. We need them, we need more. LETS GO AMERICA!!!

BrianLo

supposedly the allergy medicine also didn't work...so its a little Sus.
That's why I asked about the temperature. Many of those are allergy symptoms, with the exception of vomiting. I've had severe seasonal allergies all my life and never it did make me vomit.

She was having anaphylaxis to a food protein allergen, not just seasonal allergies. Benadryl doesn't cut it. Personally, best practice would be her Epi Pen and a ride to the emergency department. I think the general population only thinks anaphylaxis is your throat swelling, but it's actually just two-system involvement. I.e. Vomiting and wheeze.

BUT no - I think it very clearly tracks that she likely doesn't have COVID and could return to the parks after a 4 hour observation period. I would not do a COVID swab on her with that story.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So on the day WDW re-opens FL has 15,299 positive tests. Definitely bad timing. Here’s some sobering stats I clipped from an article which I won’t post here because the rest of it got political and would surely result in an unnecessary off topic debate.

If Florida were a country, it would rank fourth in the world for the most new cases a day behind the rest of the United States, Brazil and India. Its daily increases have already surpassed the highest daily tally reported by any European country during the height of the pandemic there. Florida has also broken New York State's record of 12,847 new cases on April 10 when it was the epicenter of the U.S. outbreak.

I realize that more testing probably would have pushed the NY and European numbers up, but it’s still pretty sobering to see just how big the spike in cases is. FL now sits 150K cases behind NY overall and 60K back of CA. If current trends continue FL, CA and TX could all pass NY in the next few weeks to a month. Hopefully the spike dies down in all those places and cases start to fall soon and also that NY doesn’t see a resurgence like the south is seeing now.

oceanbreeze77

We also need to find a way to increase lab capacity. Its one thing to have enough tests, but we need to increase the capacity to actually run them. I got tested Friday morning and they told me my results would take 7-10 days. The last time I got tested it took 24 hours. We need to invest in creating more lab centers because 7-10 days is far too long and only increases the chance of spreading the virus.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
So on the day WDW re-opens FL has 15,299 positive tests. Definitely bad timing. Here’s some sobering stats I clipped from an article which I won’t post here because the rest of it got political and would surely result in an unnecessary off topic debate.

If Florida were a country, it would rank fourth in the world for the most new cases a day behind the rest of the United States, Brazil and India. Its daily increases have already surpassed the highest daily tally reported by any European country during the height of the pandemic there. Florida has also broken New York State's record of 12,847 new cases on April 10 when it was the epicenter of the U.S. outbreak.

I realize that more testing probably would have pushed the NY and European numbers up, but it’s still pretty sobering to see just how big the spike in cases is. FL now sits 150K cases behind NY overall and 60K back of CA. If current trends continue FL, CA and TX could all pass NY in the next few weeks to a month. Hopefully the spike dies down in all those places and cases start to fall soon and also that NY doesn’t see a resurgence like the south is seeing now.
It sucks yesterday’s count was so high but I’m glad they did (or reported on) a crap ton of tests to find these positive cases. They really need to keep that up to root out as many cases as possible. I don’t expect the daily cases count to drop anytime soon. But they need to be able to have high levels of testing like this reported as much as possible.

schuelma

It sucks yesterday’s count was so high but I’m glad they did (or reported on) a crap ton of tests to find these positive cases. They really need to keep that up to root out as many cases as possible. I don’t expect the daily cases count to drop anytime soon. But they need to be able to have high levels of testing like this reported as much as possible.

The problem is with these numbers, its impossible to do any adequate tracing. And if there is any meaningful delay in results the spread isn't going to slow.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
The problem is with these numbers, its impossible to do any adequate tracing. And if there is any meaningful delay in results the spread isn't going to slow.
I don’t think it’s impossible. You can at least find the hot spots as well as any new hot spots, and then put resources into those areas. Also tracing outbreaks within work places should still be possible. They have to keep up the testing.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
What’s unclear is how much of the increase in testing was due to more testing and how much was due to clearing a backlog of older tests. If people are starting to see lab results taking 5-7 days now those tests may have been done up to a week ago. It’s possible that more testing is being done daily but the labs are just overrun and not reporting results timely.

schuelma

I don’t think it’s impossible. You can at least find the hot spots as well as any new hot spots, and then put resources into those areas. Also tracing outbreaks within work places should still be possible. They have to keep up the testing.

Just from a pure manpower perspective I don't see how you trace with that amount of positives.

chrisvee

Premium Member
We’ve had a lot of time to learn from NY and Europe, apply the lessons, and avoid what’s happening now. Apparently that’s impossible for a decent chunk of our leaders.

I pray we don’t go through this again when the cold weather states start migrating back indoors.

DVCakaCarlF

And everyone wants to talk about how we “burn masks” in America...https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/12/health/britain-masks-intl-gbr/index.html

GoofGoof

Premium Member
We’ve had a lot of time to learn from NY and Europe, apply the lessons, and avoid what’s happening now. Apparently that’s impossible for a decent chunk of our leaders.

I pray we don’t go through this again when the cold weather states start migrating back indoors.
I prefer to believe that the surge in cases in most of the south is the result of things like lack of masks and proper distancing and things opening too fast and that the lack of spikes in the NE and other states is due to better following of the rules. The alternative is that it’s just a natural progression that would have happened no matter what. If the second option is true then there’s a good chance the states doing better right now will see an inevitable spike at some point and the current spikes will die off and start up again without any human control. That’s a pretty grim prognosis. I’d prefer to think we have some control over it and that our actions can help to at least somewhat reduce outbreaks and spread. Time will tell.

polynesiangirl

This is what concerns me, living in the midwest. Our numbers in my state are not going down or staying flat even now, and this is with a lot of activities taking place outside -- cookouts, people hanging out in the parks and lakes, etc. People here don't conduct the vast majority of their social life outside regularly past late October, early November at the latest, though. There's no way to eat outside, socially distanced on a patio. There's no way to be indoors but with the windows wide open. Mask-wearing in my immediate area seems to be pretty hit and miss, and in other parts of the state appears to be nonexistent. That does not bode well for when the temps drop. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom