Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleBuford

There is a certain mindset that believes "ART" has to be serious to be "real" art. There are very few of the old carousel figures left, because people didn't consider them to be "real" artistic sculptures/carvings.

We're lucky that there were a handful of people who did recognize their artistic value, so some were saved from the trash heap.

Off-topic, but your comment reminded of an excellent Disney+ show I recently discovered called Prop Culture. The first episode explores costumes and props from Mary Poppins, including the carousel horses.

Incomudro

There is a certain mindset that believes "ART" has to be serious to be "real" art. There are very few of the old carousel figures left, because people didn't consider them to be "real" artistic sculptures/carvings.

We're lucky that there were a handful of people who did recognize their artistic value, so some were saved from the trash heap.

Thank you!
It's the artistry that make the Disney park what they are.
The animation of the original films.
The teams of modelers, designers, builders etc. that flesh it all out in the parks.
There is artistry in the way a ride - like Splash for instance - unfolds as well.

ImperfectPixie

Thank you!
The teams of modelers, designers, builders etc. that flesh it all out in the parks.
There is artistry in the way a ride - like Splash for instance - unfolds as well.
There is much to be said for old-school techniques used in various art forms that many younger people who weren't around just don't appreciate.

LittleBuford

But you don't believe that Iger's opinion is driven by the climate?

I don’t think anyone can deny that. But there’s a difference between a company (opportunistically, cynically, or sincerely—take your pick) capitalising on the moment and a company caving into outside demands. The anti-Splash Mountain pressure was nowhere near enough to force Disney’s hand.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Are people surprised this is happening?

DId not know that thanks! That is a special thing to me as it was once in a park in Detroit my Grandmother used to go to when young, and I have often thought she MUST have rode on that....anyhow....Greenfield Village has an ancient carousel with a wonderful assortment of restored animal figures....it's very special too.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Thank you!

Yup its all those layers of details to be appreciated and treasured....:happy:🏰

Brer Oswald

If it was a CEO that liked the property, it would have stayed. But Iger notoriously doesn’t like the film. I’ve always wondered if it dives deeper than the controversy, like maybe a bad childhood experience with the film?

With Eisner, it just wasn’t on their priority list to release the film with extra bells and whistles, like they did with the Mickey Mouse Cartoons. With Iger, they’ve tried to erase every reference to the film, including the characters and the music; stuff that the pre Iger Company would not shy away from.

But replacing the Classic Disney legacy with his own legacy is nothing new for Iger. It’s just more intense with the Brer characters. He wants to be known as the “hero” that “saved” Disney from their “troubled” past.

I don’t dislike Iger, he did a lot of good things for the company in the beginning of his tenure. But his ego is just way too big for his own good, and I would have liked for his influence on TWDC to have ended 7 years ago.

Brer Oswald

I don’t think anyone can deny that. But there’s a difference between a company (opportunistically, cynically, or sincerely—take your pick) capitalising on the moment and a company caving into outside demands. The anti-Splash Mountain pressure was nowhere near enough to force Disney’s hand.
If they weren’t already planning to change it, they could have written a nice blog post highlighting the significance of the Brer Rabbit tales and the changes they made from the film to the ride to make it more inclusive.

But, at the end of the day, they don’t gain additional profit from the Brer Rabbit IP besides the ride itself. They don’t have a movie they’re willing to attach it to, so it remains a park exclusive property. This was a business decision that the current management intended to make.

They don’t see value in the Parks having a brand that is unique to that of their films. Yep, they can get away with this one. But they better not monkey around with the Haunted Mansion, because that’s the one I see striking the wrong nerve with fans (not me personally though).

LittleBuford

If they weren’t already planning to change it, they could have written a nice blog post highlighting the significance of the Brer Rabbit tales and the changes they made from the film to the ride to make it more inclusive.

But, at the end of the day, they don’t gain additional profit from the Brer Rabbit IP besides the ride itself. They don’t have a movie they’re willing to attach it to, so it remains a park exclusive property. This was a business decision that the current management intended to make.

They don’t see value in the Parks having a brand that is unique to that of their films. Yep, they can get away with this one. But they better not monkey around with the Haunted Mansion, because that’s the one I see striking the wrong nerve with fans (not me personally though).

I wish they had extracted the animated sequences from Song of the South and created a documentary-style framing for them, acknowledging the problematic nature of the original film and discussing the stories' origins.

Like you, I would hate to see the Haunted Mansion overhauled, though I'd have no objections to the removal of the hanging man.

manmythlegend

Please don’t waste your money! There is nothing that can be paid for anyway to change Disney’s mind, and anything you donate to this campaign will simply line the pockets of the person who started it.

Disagree. The person specified on the Facebook group how they would spend the money. Please don't make false allegations against people who are trying to save a ride that many of us love. We need all the help we can get!

Brer Oswald

I wish they had extracted the animated sequences from Song of the South and created a documentary-style framing for them, acknowledging the problematic nature of the original film and discussing the stories' origins.

Like you, I would hate to see the Haunted Mansion overhauled, though I'd have no objections to the removal of the hanging man.
They did air them separately on the Disneyland TV show. But that would’ve been nice. I hope that one day, at the very least, they release the animated segments. It’d be amazing if they also did new ones, maybe as a hand drawn animated film, although I’m not holding my breath.

The music and characters are so remarkable. The original stories and their origins are so important. It’s just such a disappointment to lose it all simply because the first adaptation didn’t get everything right.

LittleBuford

Disagree. The person specified on the Facebook group how they would spend the money. Please don't make false allegations against people who are trying to save a ride that many of us love. We need all the help we can get!

Do you mean these reasons?

1) To show the Walt Disney World Company that people do not want Splash Mountain to change

2) Donations will be used to get politicians and lobbying firms to persuade Disney that Splash Mountain should be kept as is.

(These are from the original GoFundMe page; perhaps they've been updated.)

manmythlegend

Do you mean these reasons?

1) To show the Walt Disney World Company that people do not want Splash Mountain to change

2) Donations will be used to get politicians and lobbying firms to persuade Disney that Splash Mountain should be kept as is.

(These are from the original GoFundMe page; perhaps they've been updated.)

There was an addition of a possible billboard purchase that was suggested in the FB group. Don't have the funds for it yet but would be nice if it got there.

Whether you think that will change Disney's mind is irrelevant. The point is to try. Nothing in life has ever been accomplished without trying.

ImperfectPixie

There was an addition of a possible billboard purchase that was suggested in the FB group. Don't have the funds for it yet but would be nice if it got there.

Whether you think that will change Disney's mind is irrelevant. The point is to try. Nothing in life has ever been accomplished without trying.
Depending on the location, that would be between $1,000-$15,000 per month just for the billboard space...that doesn't include production of whatever goes on the billboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom