News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Kate F

I prefer this armchair imagineer's idea.

I know my stance on this issue is clear as day already but...
D9A9143C-4705-47BA-AA8B-34A520BB75D5.gif

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Now this is a very touchy subject for me.

Back in 2010, I was a CP and worked at Pecos Bill's. Frontierland has always been my home away from home, and I never thought it would ever change this drastically. However, I really think this mock up is a really wonderful solution for the potential theming issues in Magic Kingdom. I don't know if Disney would be willing to go as far as retheming the whole area like that, but I think that would really sell the introduction of Princess and the Frog. If they're going to force inject an IP into a ride as iconic as Splash Mountain, they should be willing to go the distance and commit to representing the IP. It is CRAZY to me that Tiana doesn't have a restaurant in any park yet. It's literally the most logical decision when it comes to theIP, and retheming a restaurant really wouldn't cost all that much in the great scheme of things. Sure, losing Pecos would really be hard on my heart, but if it meant Tiana finally got her Place, it would be worth it. Granted, Princess and the Frog came out one month before my first shift at Disney World, so I'm heavily biased.

The only thing they'd have to really consider is the costuming. As it stands, Pecos Bill's costumes are very uniquely designed because they're one of the only costumes in all of Walt Disney World that are designed to fit into two lands. The Cast Members who work at Pecos are the same that work at Tortuga Tavern as well, so the costume is uniquely designed so it would blend into both Frontierland and Adventureland. We were some of the few Cast Members who were allowed to walk back and forth. An easy fix would be just re-costuming the Tiana side, and having a set cast for Tortuga.

All in all, I really hope this is on Disney's radar in some capacity. It doesn't all have to happen at once, but I think it would be really special if this came together one day.

Pecos hasn't been the same since they removed the awesome burger toppings bar with sautéed mushrooms.....:angelic:

jt04

Where are people’s priorities? I’d rather them spend the money on the attraction than on any sort of mini land, and so wound they. It’ll fit fine enough.

They need to go back to investing boldly like Walt did. I know they did with Galaxy's Edge but they need that attitude at every park. Although I recognize the need to regroup at the moment. But they can let Imagineering 'blue sky' away in the meantime.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Perfect nook for Critter Country. But PatF should be prominent and more onstage. IMO.

Agreed. It should be a linear progression culminating into a grand reveal of the land's anchor attraction, theoretically. Start with lower tier attractions, facades and shops to establish placemaking and end on the anchor attraction; using the surroundings of a mini-land like a hype man to the main act.

Last edited:

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Where are people’s priorities? I’d rather them spend the money on the attraction than on any sort of mini land, and so wound they. It’ll fit fine enough.

We don't know the budget. So why not both? DL's Splash will be nearly plug-n-play, fitting perfectly within it's surroundings but WDW's Splash Mountain is going to need some finessing.

Wanting more from Disney on this re-imagining shouldn't be met with condemnation. And "Fine Enough" should never be an acceptable standard. We're not sure of the efforts Disney will go to integrating the PatF IP in MK. But, why not desire more or demand WDI does better than just a one-off, one and done overlay? Or at least give TDO pause to question how it will be integrated.

TDO just needs to see the potential and fund the re-imagining properly. Spend the money on the Splash overlay as is expected but consider a possible mini-land to support that attraction. Add real net gains to the park with new attractions, sell a ton of PatF merch and fresh beignets out of a new shop or two. It's justified.

The priority should be expansion or improving on what's there - not cost-saving measures. With overlays, integration and thematic integrity are still important. The only logical way I can see that happening is to build around Splash giving it some added immersion, boost the parks offerings and properly anchor it into a themed land instead of trying to make it fit (as we so often say with overlays)

Last edited:

No Name

We don't know the budget. So why not both? DL's Splash will be nearly plug-n-play and fit perfectly within it's surroundings but WDW's Splash Mountain is going to need some finessing.

Wanting more from Disney on this re-imagining shouldn't be met with condemnation. And "Fine Enough" should never be an acceptable standard. We're not sure of the efforts Disney will go to integrating the PatF IP in MK. But, why not desire more or demand WDI does better than just a one-off, one and done overlay? Or at least give TDO pause to question how it will be integrated.

TDO just needs to see the potential and fund the re-imagining properly. (spend the money on the Splash overlay as is expected but consider a possible mini-land to support that attraction. Add real net gains to the park with new attractions, sell a ton of PatF merch and fresh beignets at a shop or two. It's justified. The priority should be expansion not cost saving measures. Now, I'm not saying it's a great idea. Frankly I don't think PatF needs a mini-land. A lone single attraction would be just fine if it were up to snuff. But integration and themetic integrity (not a word but I think you get my meaning) is still important.

The only logical way I can see that happening in Magic Kingdom is to build around Splash, boost the parks offering and and properly anchor it into it's own land instead of trying to make it fit (as we so often say when it comes to overlays)

I'd rather they do it right or not at all.

I get it but I’m just being realistic. They’ve cancelled or delayed $900 million in capex and Splash is a long ride so I can’t imagine the budget is what it should be. Second, if Beast’s castle next to Prince Eric’s castle next to mine cars is a thing, I don’t think most people will care or think twice about it.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I get it but I’m just being realistic. They’ve cancelled or delayed $900 million in capex and Splash is a long ride so I can’t imagine the budget is what it should be. Second, if Beast’s castle next to Prince Eric’s castle next to mine cars is a thing, I don’t think most people will care or think twice about it.

Oh for sure. But that doesn't make it right. I swear Disney use to care about these things. I just want the best overlay it can be. I'm expecting a turd. Hopeful they can at least polish it up a bit. lol

Sir_Cliff

Oh for sure. But that doesn't make it right. I swear Disney use to care about these things. I just want the best overlay it can be. I'm expecting a turd. Hopeful they can at least polish it up a bit. lol
I think the recent emphasis on immersion, mostly in lands dedicated to specific films or franchises, has warped how people see what theming meant beginning at Disneyland. For the most part, the themes at the Magic Kingdom parks have always been big and conceptual rather than a literal time and place. In that respect, a little piece of Louisiana in Frontierland is not going to jar anymore than the desert-themed Big Thunder Mountain sitting on a wooded river with a riverboat regularly passing by. Splash Mountain is already set in the South, anyway.

I'm with @egg, the priority should be on the attraction which will almost certainly take a lot of money to do well considering current WDI budgets.

MickeyMouse10

If they can stick Africa, Polynesia, the Caribbean, and the Middle East side-by-side in Adventureland and Bavarian and English-themed buildings across from each other in Fantasyland, I don't know why anyone would find a representation of Louisiana placed amidst representations the American frontier a thematic issue. I'm pretty positive Disney is not going to feel it requires building a whole New Orleans mini-land which, if anything, would probably cut Big Thunder off from the rest of Frontierland far more dramatically.

Adventureland is like calling something Fantasyland or Movieland, it is more of a genre than a region or place in time.

The American Frontier on the otherhand took place during 1607 – 1920

"The American frontier includes the geography, history, folklore, and cultural expression of life in the forward wave of American expansion that began with English colonial settlements in the early 17th century and ended with the admission of the last remaining western territories as states in 1912."

Splash Mountain wasn't a perfect pairing with it, but it was much closer than Princess and the Frog. At least the setting feels more like the country than Tiana's, which consists of a bustling city (New Orleans in 1926) and a swamp.

Also the exterior of the new attraction will stick out like a sore thumb. The current resident Splash Mountain blends in better with Big Thunder due to their similar color palettes, which is inspired by dry western settings.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Adventureland is like calling something Fantasyland or Movieland, it is more of a genre than a region or place in time.

American Frontier on the otherhand took place during 1607 – 1920

"The American frontier includes the geography, history, folklore, and cultural expression of life in the forward wave of American expansion that began with English colonial settlements in the early 17th century and ended with the admission of the last remaining western territories as states in 1912."

Splash Mountain wasn't a perfect pairing with it, but it was much closer than Princess and the Frog. At least the setting feels more like the country than Tiana's, which consists of a bustling city (New Orleans in 1926) and a swamp.

Also the exterior of the new attraction will stick out like a sore thumb. The current resident Splash Mountain blends in better with Big Thunder due to their similar color palettes, which is inspired by dry western settings.

One small problem: The parts of Frontierland that deal with "The South" aren't from the 1600's when "The South" was "The Frontier", but many generations later after the Indians were pushed out and large towns established and territories converted into States. If you're not going to account for the chronology of the Western Expansion, then we can then still call The South as it exists today as still being frontier territory.

Whatever Song of the South is, the last thing anyone would call it is The Frontier or in the genre of frontier stories.

Minnie1976

Given that Tiana's friend, Charlotte La Bouff is the daughter of a sugar baron and because beignets will likely be served, a logical sponsor might be a sugar company or even The American Sugar Cane League; I'm sure they have the funds to back a PatF overlay.
Please don’t say ziplock is going to sponsor this Fiasco. I would not like putting them on my not use list😩😩😩

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom