News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Jedijax719

If they take the extra step and do something along these lines it becomes timeless and classic. IMO.

I favor transitioning from the Liberty Square Tavern to Splash in the same manner as the architecture transitions in Liberty Square. Subtle and effective. Following the Ohio/Mississippi Rivers thematically and over time along the waterway. Frontierland can go behind BTMRR. Parts can go to Fort Wilderness.

PS - this would fit TSI perfectly. Although TSI reimagined as Critter Country also works and would be my chioce. By raft, tunnel or moveable bridge.
This.

But of course a lot will probably have to do with the hopeful turnaround. If they want to get it done in 2 years, they will probably have to rush. There will obviously have to be a lengthy time SM will be closed. It's not the same kind of refurbishment as POTC with the red-headed lady. This is obviously a complete overhaul.

However, they can probably get away with not having to do massive overall structural work (just animated characters) if they keep the bayou theme intact for much of the ride. But I probably have NO idea what I am talking about and just throwing spitballs.

As for HM, it is ironic that this comes up here. The whole notion of haunted houses was something created in the early 1900's. Houses built in the 1600's, 1700's, and 1800's were still standing and were becoming increasingly dilapidated. Kids and teens would hang out there and vandalize them. So towns people would spook them to keep them out. That actually took place not far off from the time period that Tiana lived.

That said, though, it's too far from where Splash is to make a seamless turn of the century theme.

Last edited:

_caleb

The Princess and the Frog retheme concept art shows the addition of a tree to the top of the mountain. To me, this makes seem like less of a, well, mountain, which seems to fit the new theme. I wonder if they're also going to address the question of scale/perspective by having Doctor Facilier turn the guests into frogs at the beginning of the ride (anyone remember "Adventure Thru Inner Space")?

The Grand Inquisitor

Since the other thread fell apart, I'm glad we have a thread that wont be a dumpster fire. But back to the ride, I'm super excited! Princess and the Frog is one of my favorite Disney movies! The movie truly deserves a ride and I'm glad it's getting the recognition it truly deserves.this There is so much potential for a truly great ride. I hope Disney goes all out!

Last edited by a moderator:

Cesar R M

The Princess and the Frog retheme concept art shows the addition of a tree to the top of the mountain. To me, this makes seem like less of a, well, mountain, which seems to fit the new theme. I wonder if they're also going to address the question of scale/perspective by having Doctor Facilier turn the guests into frogs at the beginning of the ride (anyone remember "Adventure Thru Inner Space")?
Or perhaps they send you to the "afterlife". I mean the drops.. could be the mouths of the spirits.

FigmentJedi

I've always thought HM works in MK. To me, Liberty Square is a little bit Philly, a little bit Boston, and a little bit Sleepy Hollow/Hudson Valley. It's a scramble but it's all there.

Granted, I'm the same idiot who thought Master Gracey was murdered, so make of it what you will.
Yeah, Haunted Mansion's placement in Liberty Square and its New England makeover is based on both Sleepy Hollow and the works of Edgar Allan Poe, as told in Since the World Began.

MythBuster

OK, you have me on the ropes...but I’m not done yet. I still think some backstage stuff could be reimagined, but I’m no expert. Another option is to leave the backstage buildings alone and have a New Orleans Square type mini-land build into the existing Queue, restroom and gift shop area (yellow below) and extend back into part of the area circled in blue. They couldn’t fit a lot in there but possibly a restaurant, shop and meet and greet area. The transition to New Orleans could be under the train overpass so it’s not intrusive to Frontierland and it helps the new ride fit into a land. Cheaper and easier to do that.
View attachment 480365

To re-theme the area in yellow could work and wouldn't affect much, but the area in blue is the Big Thunder Maintenance area including the roundhouse, so that wouldn't work.

spresso81

The more we learn about the budget and possibility of only 3 characters appearing, this whole conversion sounds like a dumpster fire.

Let's say the budget even is $50 mil (per coast) - how much of that will do to demo and track modifications/poss changes? Knowing Disney that could prob be half the budget.

I am really scared one of Disney's greatest rides will turn into a lesser version of Frozen. What makes that even worse is Maelstrom paled in comparison to SM in length and overall quality. We do not need an 8 minute SM ride filled with a handful of AAs and empty sections!

jt04

This.

But of course a lot will probably have to do with the hopeful turnaround. If they want to get it done in 2 years, they will probably have to rush. There will obviously have to be a lengthy time SM will be closed. It's not the same kind of refurbishment as POTC with the red-headed lady. This is obviously a complete overhaul.

However, they can probably get away with not having to do massive overall structural work (just animated characters) if they keep the bayou theme intact for much of the ride. But I probably have NO idea what I am talking about and just throwing spitballs.

As for HM, it is ironic that this comes up here. The whole notion of haunted houses was something created in the early 1900's. Houses built in the 1600's, 1700's, and 1800's were still standing and were becoming increasingly dilapidated. Kids and teens would hang out there and vandalize them. So towns people would spook them to keep them out. That actually took place not far off from the time period that Tiana lived.

That said, though, it's too far from where Splash is to make a seamless turn of the century theme.

You don't have to have the HM and the Splash area placed in the same era. To the contrary. As you travel through you are not only changing geographically but you are also traveling through the decades. This is part of the magic of Liberty Square.

By utilizing the Rivers of America in this timeline Imagineering could also pay homage to the Underground railroad. They could also add the old North church to liberty square in keeping with the original design.

jt04

The more we learn about the budget and possibility of only 3 characters appearing, this whole conversion sounds like a dumpster fire.

Let's say the budget even is $50 mil (per coast) - how much of that will do to demo and track modifications/poss changes? Knowing Disney that could prob be half the budget.

I am really scared one of Disney's greatest rides will turn into a lesser version of Frozen. What makes that even worse is Maelstrom paled in comparison to SM in length and overall quality. We do not need an 8 minute SM ride filled with a handful of AAs and empty sections!

3 characters seems very unlikely. Perhaps they are considering 3 characters with speaking roles. I'm doubtful 3 total is accurate.

celluloid

Be prepared for just that. A lot of wonderous projection filters and music inbetween.

WDW Pro

The budget is small and it's coming out of the Epcot capex monies.

imagineer97

In the Parks
No
Screamscape mentioned retheming the front half of Frontierland (up to Splash Mountain) as New Orleans Square and eliminating CBJ in order to create some more thematic integrity. Given that I can't stand this idea in the first place, I want them to make the theming work, BUT I cannot justify getting rid of CBJ for this. As much as Disney probably wants to.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom