News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Mickey5150

I wonder with the theme changing to New Orleans if they will do something to Big Thunder in the MK to fit a southern theme rather then a western one. There must have been trains and mines somewhere in the southeastern United States to tweet the theming.

MaximumEd

I wonder with the theme changing to New Orleans if they will do something to Big Thunder in the MK to fit a southern theme rather then a western one. There must have been trains and mines somewhere in the southeastern United States to tweet the theming.

Yeah, there’s a ton of trains and mines and steel mills and the like in the southeast. My father worked at what was, at the time, the deepest vertical shaft mine in the US. It was a coal mine in Alabama. 2,200’ straight down.

jt04

I doubt they will retheme this classic. More likely they will plant trees or build a structure that provides a transition. Something like walking from the Muppet area to Galaxy's Edge at the studios but on a smaller scale.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member

There's the African American folklore of John Henry. Period appropriate though not an IP. The timeline is all screwy with the inclusion of the 1920's P&F overlay. There's really not a lot of IPs that fit a Big Thunder overlay. It's going to be interesting to see how they thematically address these transitions in MK's Frontierland.

MR.DISNEY23

Who wants to spend their day at MK soaking wet? No thanks!

There were also safety issues with that, which led to people trying to get out of the log. I doubt we will see it turn into a super soaker.

If Disney going to re-theme splash mountain then they should re-them Tom Sawyer Island and the Riverboat they both had ties to slavery, my idea is to re-them Tom Sawyer Island to Princess and the Frog with a boat ride around the island, meet mama Odie, Dr. Filiecer shop, a bayou restaurant and so forth. Keep splash mountain

skiir97

Doubt it, the days of AA heavy attraction at the Disney Parks are over (at least in the US). The Sinbad ride at Tokyo was the most recent Disney attraction with a huge amount of AAs.

There is some hope with the upcoming BATB ride at Tokyo (mainly from preview footage)
giphy.gif

tumblr_pjduq9IuQ81wzypxlo10_500.gifv

ThisFoolhardyHyena-size_restricted.gif

However since we're not in Tokyo, expect the AAs to be around the quality of The Little Mermaid ride.

Those are AA's? Holy c*** they look incredible!

MickeyMouse10

If Disney going to re-theme splash mountain then they should re-theme Tom Sawyer Island and the Riverboat they both had ties to slavery, my idea is to re-theme Tom Sawyer Island to Princess and the Frog with a boat ride around the island, meet mama Odie, Dr. Filiecer shop, a bayou restaurant and so forth. Keep splash mountain

That would be awesome, but they seem intend on retheming Splash Mountain with Tiana.

So I think the best thing to do is to create a whole new New Orleans Square to the left of Magic Kingdom. Because the ride doesn't belong in Frontierland. There's plenty of land on the other side of the tracks so they might as well use it. Like they've done in Disneyland with Toontown.

MythBuster

I wonder about the state of the AAs, ride system, building, etc. @lazyboy97o mentioned on the previous thread that those will all likely need attention (and eat into the meager budget for the actual retheme).

I'm sure they will remove all the old AA figures, they are trying to get away from the old hydraulic AA's, hopefully they will install some of the new style AA's.

They will gut the old ride control system and install the new Safety PLC system.

MythBuster

Haha! I think I need another cup of coffee. After reading your comment I immediately thought what safety issues would be at play and mold and flooding came to mind. I laugh because in that same brief thought a solution sprung to my mind of putting a hole in the bottom of the boat so it drains rapidly. Genius! :facepalm:

I also prefer super-soaker water rides. It should be implied! I don't understand the whine there... one should expect to get wet. In the FL heat especially, the issue evaporates rather quickly.

I wonder!? Can they crank up the soakage or dial it down depending on time of year?

Yes, they can adjust the amount of splash easily with the splash cannons, it can increase the pressure so people going up B lift will get soaked with the right timing, but too many people complain about getting wet, so they just turn it down. There is a water level control system but that is more for safety of the ride than anything else.

KikoKea

There have always been exceptions to the parks' thematic integrity. Frontierland has long been a bit of a mishmash, and I don't think the retheming of Splash Mountain is going to make anything worse in that regard.
Splash blended in with the log theme, and I'm not sure PatF can use the same. Perhaps they will keep the logs and downplay the New Orleans part.
edited: fix typos

Bleed0range

There's the African American folklore of John Henry. Period appropriate though not an IP. The timeline is all screwy with the inclusion of the 1920's P&F overlay. There's really not a lot of IPs that fit a Big Thunder overlay. It's going to be interesting to see how they thematically address these transitions in MK's Frontierland.

I have been wondering how they’ll make it fit myself, but technically it’s already set in the “south” and not really out west. They made the mountain sort of blend in color with BTM.

My guess is they’ll just plant a lot more trees surrounding it to give it that swamp feel at the edge of Frontierland.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom