Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

monykalyn

I thought the spike in cases in FL was no big deal because it’s all young people who are asymptomatic but testing positive.
Young people haven’t been tested in numbers before. Now they are. Shocker that they also can get infected isn’t it? And as it’s a concentrated pool (again- like testing early on only focused on those with severe symptoms) so numbers going up. We’ve managed to wrestle down nursing home numbers for most part, and this at highest risk there so that’s good.
Plus isn’t every hospital admit for any diagnosis now being tested for covid? Probably catching a lot of asymptomatic/presymptomatic that way as well. It would be interesting to see which states allowed “non-essential” procedures to ramp back up quickly and see if there’s also a rise in positive cases...

is there a tracker anywhere that follows how many cases end up symptomatic/medical care required etc? Or is that part of the contact tracing that was supposed to happen?

Also- Universal has been open a few weeks now- any team members infected? Uni did a good job on mask enforcement and spacing in queues.

schuelma

uh okay, does it change the numbers?

It does not change the numbers, but comparing governor's responses from March, when the virus was already seeded in places like NY and MI and literally the entire world was discovering how to respond and treat to the virus, with a response in June is simply not comparing apples to apples. No one has been perfect in the response, but trying to excuse poor action now by what executives did in March is incredibly disingenuous.

legwand77

if your numerous points keep being misconstrued, maybe the problem isn't with other people misunderstanding what you're trying to say???
not quite what i said, giving them the benefit of the doubt

ETA - it appears they agree with my numbers and they just had a political opinion, no misunderstanding of what I said.

Last edited:

Rescue Ranger

The news really is ridulous. "Tons of Disney Cast Members petition not to return to work at Walt Disney World".

I see where the "fake news" comments come from. I hear more and see more in posted videos that CMs are THRILLED to be back. Constant negatively the news. Thats why I try not to watch it.

legwand77

It does not change the numbers, but comparing governor's responses from March, when the virus was already seeded in places like NY and MI and literally the entire world was discovering how to respond and treat to the virus, with a response in June is simply not comparing apples to apples. No one has been perfect in the response, but trying to excuse poor action now by what executives did in March is incredibly disingenuous.

Ok thank you , numbers are correct , which is all I said. The rest is a political debate/opinion, not interested and against the rules here

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
yeah, that's why Disneyland is keeping to their reopening plan.:rolleyes: Did you miss the part where thousands of cast members and residents petitioned to keep it closed?
I'm referring to when (*when, as in past tense) Newsome announced easing restrictions and was not faced with the same criticisms of it being politically motivated by pressure from the current administration.

DisneyCane

Why does everything have to be a comparison?

-9,000 new cases today of a disease that is very deadly to certain populations
-We've moved from 3% to 5% to 14% positive cases.
-Desantis said when announcing phase one that we had 3% positive tests and if we saw 15% or so, we'd have to roll back

This isn't politics, it's public health.

I'd say that closing bars is rolling back. If they've identified bars as an issue you don't need to roll back other things.

oceanbreeze77

I'm referring to when (*when, as in past tense) Newsome announced easing restrictions and was not faced with the same criticisms of it being politically motivated by pressure from the current administration.
he is faced with it though. As a Californian I can tell you, people are not happy with this speedy reopening.

Miss Bella

Young people haven’t been tested in numbers before. Now they are. Shocker that they also can get infected isn’t it? And as it’s a concentrated pool (again- like testing early on only focused on those with severe symptoms) so numbers going up. We’ve managed to wrestle down nursing home numbers for most part, and this at highest risk there so that’s good.
Plus isn’t every hospital admit for any diagnosis now being tested for covid? Probably catching a lot of asymptomatic/presymptomatic that way as well. It would be interesting to see which states allowed “non-essential” procedures to ramp back up quickly and see if there’s also a rise in positive cases...

is there a tracker anywhere that follows how many cases end up symptomatic/medical care required etc? Or is that part of the contact tracing that was supposed to happen?

Also- Universal has been open a few weeks now- any team members infected? Uni did a good job on mask enforcement and spacing in queues.
Pretty much everyone is tested and moved to a Covid floor. If they test negative they are moved to another floor. Occasionally someone is missed. Let’s say they are admitted for a stroke or something unrelated. We test them before we can transfer them to rehab and they come back positive. They may be asymptomatic, but now we’re stuck with them until they test negative.

We are now able to send people home with oxygen so that’s been a huge help. A lot of patients that all the need. Normally Medicare won’t pay for home oxygen unless you have a chronic condition. Now they will.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'd say that closing bars is rolling back. If they've identified bars as an issue you don't need to roll back other things.
I agree with this although it’s sorta the backwards way to do it. The smarter plan would have been to slowly introduce things and then assess the impact to decide if they are a problem or not. Instead there was an all out rush to open everything. So if bars and theme parks and barber shops didn’t all open at once we’d have a better idea what the definitive cause is. Now you have everything open and they shut down bars hoping that does the trick but what do you do if cases still rise. Go for theme parks next or barber shops? I’m just using those 3 as an example but pick any various item you like. Obviously there’s a lot more than 3 choices.

DisneyCane

I agree with this although it’s sorta the *** backwards way to do it. The smarter plan would have been to slowly introduce things and then assess the impact to decide if they are a problem or not. Instead there was an all out rush to open everything. So if bars and theme parks and barber shops didn’t all open at once we’d have a better idea what the definitive cause is. Now you have everything open and they shut down bars hoping that does the trick but what do you do if cases still rise. Go for theme parks next or barber shops? I’m just using those 3 as an example but pick any various item you like. Obviously there’s a lot more than 3 choices.
If barber shope were the issue I think it would be more across the board and not only select counties. Also, if I remember correctly barber shops opened after memorial day weekend before bars. I know I got a haircut the day after memorial day in south Florida.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If barber shope were the issue I think it would be more across the board and not only select counties. Also, if I remember correctly barber shops opened after memorial day weekend before bars. I know I got a haircut the day after memorial day in south Florida.
I was just throwing that in as an example. Sub in gyms or something else. I do agree that bars are the likely cause of the more recent spikes, but you do have theme parks, water parks and other amusements venues open now too (not Disney but all others). I wish they would have just waited on certain things and been a little more deliberate in their plans, but you can’t go back in time.

mickeymiss

Just a friendly reminder that "essential work" has been determined arbitrarily in a lot of areas. My father worked at a printing company that made college pamphlets. He has diabetes and hypertension. If he wasn't retired, he'd have to be there. Disney World is not essential to guests but certainly to employees and the company we all love. It has also been transformed inside and out to offer the safest experience imaginable for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom