Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkMetroid567

Yes, but Hollywood does have a certain trope that sociologists have been calling out for a while now:

https://othersociologist.com/2012/01/24/hollywood-racism/

Countdown until the Princess & the Frog ride gets removed starts NOW.
Huh, I’ve never heard of that, but an interesting read. I don’t think it’s prevalent enough to matter, though. In the status quo, people seem to be happy to see Tiana and Facilier roaming in New Orleans Square.

Yert3

The media certainly banged that drum until people believed it.

I’ve seen people on these boards call out IASW because they equate cartoon versions of “historical cultural diversity” with “racism.” “It’s so racist because they’re dressed in historical stereotypes no one wears anymore!” All right, let’s put all the kids in the same clothes. Which ones do you approve? Twenty-first century American versions? Hypocrites.
Ah, yes. It’s a Small World. A ride with a message about peace and racial harmony is now considered racist because of clothes. When does this madness stop?

CAlvares

I mean, not for nothing, but do you think there's a reason we don't tend to get films made depicting happy people singing with animated birds, but set in Third Reich Germany?

I guess The Sound of Music shows a mostly happy world, but much of its dramatic tension, particularly in its second act, is at least built around acknowledging and confronting the very real dangers and terrors of that era. Given that the NAACP even criticized SotS upon its initial release, these are not new criticisms.

EDIT: I also keep seeing people saying that Disney "gave into the mob" or "the outrage" or whatever, but can we actually see evidence of widespread, mainstream calls for the removal of the Brer Rabbit story from Splash that got any traction? As of now I don't see a reason to doubt that Disney had this planned back in 2019, given the detail in the concept art, so I'm not sure where people are getting that from.
Thanks for taking the time to explain this so eloquently!

It’s sad that the racist origin of the ride isn’t enough of a reason to retheme for some people and having to correlate it with the Third Reich in order to get your point across to them.

But what’s even sadder is that they can empathize with how absurd and hurtful a ride/movie based on clear Nazi origins would but they still can’t bring themselves to open their eyes and empathize with their brothers and sisters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom