Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

rk03221

I wish they re-themed it in DL and kept it in WDW. Although I’m shocked they are actually doing it because of all the money they are losing due to COVID. Maybe it’ll blow over

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
In what way is this any less "problematic" than Song of the South, exactly?

beignets.png

PrincessNelly_NJ

No, you're hiding behind the argument that "they gotta update the rides or the people won't come" despite the fact it is one of the most popular rides on property. You're full of it.
Calm down. I can promise you, if Magic Kingdom was exactly the same at it was in 1989 today, people would not pay thousands of dollars to go.

Even your local six flags drops a new ride every year.

Seth141

How is the storyline racist?
As someone who has ridden the ride with multiple people who are of various races, I can say that others have found the vocal stereotypes in the ride offensive. These people have also never seen the movie and still found it somewhat problematic. If you have seen the movie, I feel like those feelings become even more pronounced.
When I heard this news today, I was extremely sad. I have such a sentimental attachment to what is probably my absolute favorite ride in all of Disney World. If they announce an end date and it’s safe to visit, I will probably come down just to ride it one last time. However, I can’t say I disagree with the decision. As someone who is white and can’t fully understand what it feels like to be black and experience this ride as such, I can’t help but feel like if this is offending people (and there is a legitimate amount offended apparently) then I don’t have the right to argue with that.

Herbie

How can people say they "understand" this decision?

The ride is very, VERY loosely tied to a film that Disney has no reason whatsoever to feel sensitive about to the degree that it does, given the context. Splash Mountain isn't racist. The song isn't racist. They're classics - and classics that work. How can you come off the ride upset about it?

Not to mention, there are more pressing park matters for Disney to deal with... and of course, they redirect back to DL/MK...

It has NOT been in the works for a year. The adamant support this is getting confuses me to no end. I'm all for Princess and the Frog... elsewhere. And a NEW build. We just loved what they did with Frozen, don't we?

comics101

I totally agree. I posted not long back a petition to save it which garnered more support than to retheme it. I’m appalled and shocked. This was an amazing ride that was themed with original DIsney characters. So no more Zipadee doo dah, no more brer bear. I think it is pathetic on Disney’s part to bow to pressure.

@mdktf @marni1971 @tirian @wdwmagic

Is there any hope of stopping this? Are there emails I can send? Phone numbers I can call? I've signed a change.org petition but I just don't see that as being enough. I cannot imagine visiting MK or DL without riding Splash--This is actually a turning point for me. This is serious enough for me to begin winding down visits to Disney properties and exploring new resort and vacation destinations. I am beyond saddened by this knee-jerk and silly decision.

Last edited:

Disneyfan1981

I'm not sure I buy the "It's been in the works for a year" line and feels knee jerk but honestly the theming of this ride keeps coming up every time something regarding race occurs in our country so I'm not shocked. I'll miss Brer Rabbit, I wonder if I'll be able to get to Disneyland before they shut it down. Personally I think that the rides in DL and WDW should have been themed differently. Tiana fits with New Orleans Square just a stone's throw away but I have a hard time picturing it in WDW. I hated the idea of DCA retheming Tower of Terror and now I love Guardians so I guess I'll just wait to actually ride it.

Bairstow

He said with someone pointing to his contract while being held at gunpoint.
...he said while kinda-sorta-fibbing.

Baxter's real inspiration for Splash Mountain was the Calico Log ride at Knott's Berry Farm. Young Tony skipped school to be there opening day and there's even publicity photos from the event showing him trying to climb up a rock to get a better look at the mechanism.

SpoiledBlueMilk

Certainly you can see that Disney no longer wants to promote the film the ride is based on. The association between the ride and the story of the film persists despite years of the honey version in the ride becoming so beloved by fans.
They haven't promoted the film in decades. If anything the only branding for the ride is a rabbit and the fact you get wet. That's all. They could tweak the design and narrative a bit more and leave it intact.

sfbntpc

I can't believe they are even allowing Hamilton on Disney+!
I saw an article that the Hamilton creator was actually responding to the haters, because he allowed some things to be censored so it could be shown on Disney+. I’ve never seen it, so I’m not sure what they are talking about🤷‍♀️

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I'm not sure I buy the "It's been in the works for a year" line and feels knee jerk but honestly the theming of this ride keeps coming up every time something regarding race occurs in our country so I'm not shocked. I'll miss Brer Rabbit, I wonder if I'll be able to get to Disneyland before they shut it down. Personally I think that the rides in DL and WDW should have been themed differently. Tiana fits with New Orleans Square just a stone's throw away but I have a hard time picturing it in WDW. I hated the idea of DCA retheming Tower of Terror and now I love Guardians so I guess I'll just wait to actually ride it.
I believe (but I'm not positive) that it has the highest guest feedback scores of anything besides Kilimanjaro Safaris.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You can't expect guest to keep paying $100+ to visit a park with 30+ year old rides. If the price will keep going up, they have to make these rides more modern. Especially in disneyland where space is limited.
People paying 100+ for 3 hours in an old park is “ground zero” for the problem already. No one can control themselves!!

So now putting new cartoons on old rides makes it worth that?

That’s such groupthink behavior...honestly

PrincessNelly_NJ

What do you mean based on racism? The movie? The stories? The stories are African American folk tales. The nesting of them in a 1946 movie added racist context. Stripping out the dumb movie parts leaves us with the folktales. The problem is few people are willing to put the mental effort into what they’re actually experiencing.
How sad to replace an attraction based on African American oral tradition going back centuries with a Disneyfied version of a European fairytale. This is akin to protestors pulling down the Grant statue.

I'm pretty sure many black people are more than okay with losing a ride based on "African folk tales" for Tiana.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom