Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

asianway

They better not retire Brer Rabbit, Brer Bear and Brer Fox from the parks!
3318ba7d88a760606161ca13085ab294.jpg

Including merchandise featuring them!
Never underestimate the power of a good virtue signal

SteamboatJoe

Right. Typically, I'm a huge proponent of "build new rather than replace/overlay." But the original story that Splash Mountain is based on is a big problem. In this case, an overlay (especially one that is empowering to African Americans) seems like just the right solution.
Have you ever read some of the source material for some of the other films, especially the fairy tales?

Club Cooloholic

So how does PatF fit into the theming of Frontierland?
At Disneyland's Frontierland and New Orleans Square there have long been meet and greets with Princess Tiana and Dr. Facilier. I don't believe the ride itself was racist, but the film it was built on was obviously controversial to the point it's not been made available by Disney in years and so it's an odd film to build around. Disney loves building rides around Princesses when they can and this probably gave them a great excuse to do something they mulled before and they can look like they are doing something good. Tiana is a pretty popular one with lots of kids, African American or not I know my daughter was and has always been a fan, so I see more merch sales for Disney.
Post Edit(Would be awesome if they figured a way to work in New Orleans Square...Splash is pretty close to POT...

ZachPL

Splash Mountain is my favorite ride, sure the ride isn't racist itself, but word got around that it is based off a racist movie. When ever someone new comes to ride it theres always the person that goes "you know this is based off a racist movie"? At that point I think it is for the best, it's just not great PR to have this brought up every time something happens.

Hopefully with baxter as the creative lead we can get a suitable replacement that's just as good as the last.

PrincessNelly_NJ

I find the “it needed it” argument just DOA.

Space mountain is a 45 year old jerk machine...Everest is broken...mine train is lame and gets a 2 hour wait due to lack of supply...

So now splash was all of a sudden at the “top” of the priority list?

🐂💩
You do realize that all of those things can be true and Splash need a refurb.

Should we not build galaxy's edge or re-do Epcot because other things need attention too?

sWANNISAX

Absolutely disgusted by this news and the destruction of my favorite ride. I hope this is years away as epcot is a hot mess and needs to be finished. I hope I get to ride before it’s destroyed.

what happens to the ride the next time a kid gets attacked by a gatorand they have to take him out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom