Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

legwand77

This is really bad. I can't see how you spin this.
It doesn’t need to go up more. There’s some relatively easy things that can be done to slow the spread. Your opinion is well established and I’m not trying to change it, but the numbers going up is a terrible thing for the economy of FL and especially for tourism. There’s a reason the Orange County mayor is jumping into action now. He knows that they need people to want to come to FL and feel safe doing it for the economy to work. It’s in the best interest for the thousands of people who live and work in FL for the case numbers to drop. Political spin and moving goal posts works for social media debates but money talks and if the masses aren’t buying it that’s a problem.

If these cases continue to be mostly asymptomatic and these cases are only getting sick mildly, which has been the trend it isnt that bad at all.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I understand this point, but its not just a capacity issue. Its also cast members who live in Florida, its a. corporation putting money before health, its the optics of an escape from reality moving merrily along while the surrounding areas suffer.
It started already. Some of the workers are already back...as the daily new cases exceed 5K. So maybe there’s a limit set internally (7K, 10K...etc) but it doesn’t seem that way now. Let’s hope they at least follow through on the stuff they promised CMs in order to open safely. Zero tolerance on masks, social distancing and temp checks to start.

lilypgirl

I don’t know how true this is but while driving long distance yesterday I was listening to talk radio and the host said covid related deaths are under 300 per day and and has been dropping each day. If this is true I think that’s positive news especially in terms of the amount of people infected.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Agreed. I‘m sure airlines are very concerned right now as well as hotel chains and even big oil companies. Less flights and less road trips lead to less oil consumed.
Almost every major US airline has a base somewhere in Florida.
Again...who’s flying?
no the part about what was happening in NYC and Italy and Spain, and we didn't know anything about the virus.
Disney closed due to fear...

The fear of bad PR and fear of liability.

Remember: they weren’t forced to close.

Sometimes the obvious answer is the correct one.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If these cases continue to be mostly asymptomatic and these cases are only getting sick mildly, which has been the trend it isnt that bad at all.
You are entitled to that opinion, but yours is not necessarily the opinion of the majority of people, especially nationwide. WDW and a lot of FL tourism depends on a national customer base. People don’t want to go on vacation somewhere that has an explosion of cases. Most people don’t care what age the sick people are when planning a trip. Again, a valid argument for a social media debate but in the real world money talks, so without a change the economy is going to suffer.

schuelma

I don’t know how true this is but while driving long distance yesterday I was listening to talk radio and the host said covid related deaths are under 300 per day and and has been dropping each day. If this is true I think that’s positive news especially in terms of the amount of people infected.

In the U.S? On Sunday's yes, they are down to 200-300 a day.

Much higher during the week- yesterday it was almost 900, and given the new cases spikes I would expect deaths to start going back up.

Its not good.

DisneyCane

If you think a business that is open. Has a good chance of getting a PPP loan over another that isn’t, I have a bridge to sell you. There are thousands that couldn’t even get one.
How much for the bridge? My business never closed and got a PPP loan to make payroll with lost revenue.

Florida now ranks 9th among U.S. states in fatalities, up one spot as of Sunday from 10th.

Or 28th in fatalities per 1 million population which is the only relevant way to compare the states.

BTW, using the numbers I had stored from the other day, here is the age breakdown of the new cases for the past 4 days:

AgeCases 6/20-6/23Percent
0-4
262​
2%​
5-14
541​
4%​
15-24
3299​
22%​
25-34
3646​
24%​
35-44
2353​
16%​
45-54
2076​
14%​
55-64
1440​
10%​
65-74
732​
5%​
75-84
430​
3%​
85+
251​
2%​

The median age is under 34. 82% of the new cases are 44 and under, with 46% in the 15-34 age group. This first wave, phase 2 outbreak is clearly being driven by the young adult demographic.

Over 52% of fatalities to date were residents of nursing homes (Long Term Care Facilities in the official language) and 86% are ages 65+.

legwand77

You are entitled to that opinion, but yours is not necessarily the opinion of the majority of people, especially nationwide. WDW and a lot of FL tourism depends on a national customer base. People don’t want to go on vacation somewhere that has an explosion of cases. Most people don’t care what age the sick people are when planning a trip. Again, a valid argument for a social media debate but in the real world money talks, so without a change the economy is going to suffer.
Well that is your opinion and I respect that. Very large generalization but your opinion.

oceanbreeze77

International customer base. The Europeans love Orlando.

But international is also a big reason the US economy will suffer. Other countries don't understand how we let this happen. I read an interesting article how Europeans came together to knock out the virus, instead of pointing fingers at one age group to stay home.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And all this “personal opinion” (everyone has one) aside...

You hit on it.

Covid isn’t what’s stopping the “full opening” anymore...money and the lack of willing travelers with money is.

It’s the economy, stupid! And a lack of desire to show up in Florida because they say “trust us!”

legwand77

How much for the bridge? My business never closed and got a PPP loan to make payroll with lost revenue.

Or 28th in fatalities per 1 million population which is the only relevant way to compare the states.

BTW, using the numbers I had stored from the other day, here is the age breakdown of the new cases for the past 4 days:

AgeCases 6/20-6/23Percent
0-4
262​
2%​
5-14
541​
4%​
15-24
3299​
22%​
25-34
3646​
24%​
35-44
2353​
16%​
45-54
2076​
14%​
55-64
1440​
10%​
65-74
732​
5%​
75-84
430​
3%​
85+
251​
2%​

The median age is under 34. 82% of the new cases are 44 and under, with 46% in the 15-34 age group. This first wave, phase 2 outbreak is clearly being driven by the young adult demographic.

Over 52% of fatalities to date were residents of nursing homes (Long Term Care Facilities in the official language) and 86% are ages 65+.
Yes, and you had to open and pay employees to get PPP payroll loan forgiveness, but details don't matter to some.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Well that is your opinion and I respect that. Very large generalization but your opinion.
That generalization in this case is correct.

Follow the business stories about airline bookings. The people that matter...aren’t down.

The nudnicks that don’t or can’t afford to travel...frankly don’t matter. At least not for Disney.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
International customer base. The Europeans love Orlando.

But international is also a big reason the US economy will suffer. Other countries don't understand how we let this happen. I read an interesting article how Europeans came together to knock out the virus, instead of pointing fingers at one age group to stay home.
That is a big issue as well...

...but not as big as resistance to travel/spend by the American upper and upper middle class.

legwand77

HOLY MOLY

Was waiting for the daily Yikes post , jk. Missed it yesterday.

Yes the numbers going up is not what we want in a perfect world, but to fixate on only on new cases is not how the health dept or DIsney is looking at this. We know enough about the virus to take a broad look and make smart choices.

schuelma

Was waiting for the daily Yikes post , jk. Missed it yesterday.

Yes the numbers going up is not what we want in a perfect world, but to fixate on only on new cases is not how the health dept or DIsney is looking at this. We know enough about the virus to take a broad look and make smart choices.

Positivity rate is a better indicate of spread and its jumping pretty significantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom