Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
On March 16, Florida was averaging ~38 new cases per day. https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/new-cases-50-states/florida

The situation there then wasn't anywhere near the situation there now. There also wasn't contact tracing being conducted at that time, so while the guy from CA who got sick while in WDW and later died might have been the only case reported in the media that doesn't automatically mean it was the only case that occurred. It's statistically unlikely that he didn't pass the virus on to anyone else between the time he contracted it and the time he passed away. The fact is that we will never know how many people were infected at WDW before they closed, but the odds suggest that it was more than 1. Given that many family trips to WDW include grandparents (plus high-risk locals like seniors and those with medical conditions who like to visit the parks) and it is likely that more than 1 person died from COVID-19 after visiting WDW. Suggesting that March was the "largest part of the outbreak" is blatantly false - especially in Florida.
38 cases a day...the good old days :(

Disney decides to close theme parks in March with 38 new cases a day...Disney decides to re-open theme parks and the daily average is 100X that number. The good news is there weren’t masks and social distancing back then. Kinda makes you scratch your head that so many are fighting the mask and distancing requirements.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Except you keep telling us how great it is that more young people are getting sick and nothing will happen to them.
Yep
People “reminding” other people to put on their mask is likely Disney’s nightmare scenario. Nobody “forgets” to wear a mask. Nothing good will come from that. Step away and get a cast member.
Disney employees aren’t not disciplinarians. Never have been and never will be.
No that is not what I am saying, smh. The vast majority of younger people are not getting sick with the virus, they are testing positive and if they are getting sick it is mild, yes some are getting hospitalized but very few and even less actually dying. This long lasting disease concerns are not proven at all. Could happen and we could all get brain cancer from mobile phones, probably not, but that may happen.
I think he might have scored a hit on that one.
Best advice on here in days! If somebody isn't wearing a mask, stay away from them and tell a CM. Confronting others is going to end up with close contact of the physical assault kind.
Let me say this clearly:

“Disney employees do not bring on conflict”

Ever. You have the wrong fish.

legwand77

38 cases a day...the good old days :(

Disney decides to close theme parks in March with 38 new cases a day...Disney decides to re-open theme parks and the daily average is 100X that number. The good news is there weren’t masks and social distancing back then. Kinda makes you scratch your head that so many are fighting the mask and distancing requirements.
talk about spin , leaving off a huge part of the reason they closed

DCBaker

Premium Member
Where do you find these graphs?

PDF Data file on the FDOH website

Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 11.10.42 AM.png

GoofGoof

Premium Member
not surprised at all, said as much over the weekend, it will go up even more, might hit around 10K
It doesn’t need to go up more. There’s some relatively easy things that can be done to slow the spread. Your opinion is well established and I’m not trying to change it, but the numbers going up is a terrible thing for the economy of FL and especially for tourism. There’s a reason the Orange County mayor is jumping into action now. He knows that they need people to want to come to FL and feel safe doing it for the economy to work. It’s in the best interest for the thousands of people who live and work in FL for the case numbers to drop. Political spin and moving goal posts works for social media debates but money talks and if the masses aren’t buying it that’s a problem.

oceanbreeze77

It doesn’t need to go up more. There’s some relatively easy things that can be done to slow the spread. Your opinion is well established and I’m not trying to change it, but the numbers going up is a terrible thing for the economy of FL and especially for tourism. There’s a reason the Orange County mayor is jumping into action now. He knows that they need people to want to come to FL and feel safe doing it for the economy to work. It’s in the best interest for the thousands of people who live and work in FL for the case numbers to drop. Political spin and moving goal posts works for social media debates but money talks and if the masses aren’t buying it that’s a problem.
Its not just the economy of FL. The economy of the entire USA. Orlando/miami are some of the most popular places in the country for people to visit.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
All opinions aside, the reality is I really don't see how Disney can open in 2 weeks. This is really bad.
I don’t see them not opening. The only exception being if other similar parks close on their own by mid-July. What is likely to happen if the situation doesn’t improve is the capacity limits will stay low for longer than originally planned and they may scale back some of the attractions. If things don’t improve they won’t need to worry about capacity limits anyway. Just my opinion.

oceanbreeze77

I don’t see them not opening. The only exception being if other similar parks close on their own by mid-July. What is likely to happen if the situation doesn’t improve is the capacity limits will stay low for longer than originally planned and they may scale back some of the attractions. If things don’t improve they won’t need to worry about capacity limits anyway. Just my opinion.
I understand this point, but its not just a capacity issue. Its also cast members who live in Florida, its a. corporation putting money before health, its the optics of an escape from reality moving merrily along while the surrounding areas suffer.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Its not just the economy of FL. The economy of the entire USA. Orlando/miami are some of the most popular places in the country for people to visit.
Agreed. I‘m sure airlines are very concerned right now as well as hotel chains and even big oil companies. Less flights and less road trips lead to less oil consumed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom