News Disney will be ending complimentary MagicBand distribution to Disney Resort hotel guests and moving to smart devices

NelleBelle

All sizes of iPhone11 are well under $1k
Both my cell carrier and apple's website have the iPhone max pro 256GB phone for well over $1K (and that would be what I would be getting as my DH already has this). We buy our phones outright and new because we keep them.

peter11435

Both my cell carrier and apple's website have the iPhone max pro 256GB phone for well over $1K (and that would be what I would be getting as my DH already has this). We buy our phones outright and new because we keep them.
I said all sizes of the iPhone 11. Not the iPhone 11 Max Pro. That’s a different phone. If that’s the phone you want and can afford you can certainly get that, but you don’t need to spend over $1k or even anywhere near that much to have a smart phone.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Maybe this was covered amongst the pages of back and forth on what phones cost and which is better but I didn’t see it mentioned anywhere. If I use my phone instead of the Magic band for stuff like park ticket access and fastpasses will I have the ability to bring up my ticket as well as my wife and kid’s tickets or does each person have to have a separate device? I assume it works like maxpass did at DLR and I can just bring up all 4 people on the same device. If that’s not the case then what’s the point of this? I don’t want my kids to have to bring a device to the parks so I guess we can just opt for the cards. Seems like a step back. I guess if FP+ never comes back it’s really only park entrances. Not too big a deal.

21stamps

Correct. That is the most expensive iPhone. They came out with cheaper options a few years ago, specifically to expand their market. I don’t think anyone would expect the 11 pro Max to be the most popular phone, not even Apple themself.

Just looked, the SE is under $500.

Last edited:

21stamps

Maybe this was covered amongst the pages of back and forth on what phones cost and which is better but I didn’t see it mentioned anywhere. If I use my phone instead of the Magic band for stuff like park ticket access and fastpasses will I have the ability to bring up my ticket as well as my wife and kid’s tickets or does each person have to have a separate device? I assume it works like maxpass did at DLR and I can just bring up all 4 people on the same device. If that’s not the case then what’s the point of this? I don’t want my kids to have to bring a device to the parks so I guess we can just opt for the cards. Seems like a step back. I guess if FP+ never comes back it’s really only park entrances. Not too big a deal.

I would highly doubt that everyone would need their own device. I keep my child’s pass on my phone, which is what we use at Cedar Fair parks.

21stamps

I currently make fastpasses for my mom on my phone and she just scans her pass.

I would assume they would have a place in the app to scan for each guest.. similar to other parks. But yeah, you don’t even need the app.. I’ve taken a screenshot and text my kid’s pass to people who were bringing him to KI, works just fine for admission, drinks, food, photos.. it’s just the QR, doesn’t need an actual app to work.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

Personal opinion? I'm starting to like the Bluetooth approach. Just sad that WDW wasted so much money on "Magic Bands".
All "VHS vs Beta" technology wars, again....

Now for us? The question will remain: What do we do when the WDW Computer Systems Crash. Where is my PAPER? Where is my backup system? No backup system = out of business. ALWAYS have a backup system.

21stamps

I am really excited for this technology. The ability to use my Apple Watch, or iPhone for use around the Resort and Parks and replace the MagicBand are way overdue.

Exactly! Now if Fitbit would only lower their user age, so passes and MB capability can be stored on them, then life would be a lot easier. 😂

disneygeek90

I'll probably keep using a MagicBand as long as they'll let me -- mainly because it's easier than pulling my phone out of my pocket every time I need to tap/scan. If I had a smart watch I would use that, but they offer nothing I care about so I doubt I'll ever have one.
Yep, I like the magicbands and I like the variety of the limited edition and special release ones. I'll definitely continue to use them. Though these days I guess for me it's only really good for park entrance with no FP+.

aaronml

Evidently I spoke too soon re: this using BLE and not NFC.

The original plan for this was indeed to use BLE (hence why 2nd generation Touch Points have BLE support, etc.), just like the existing Digital Key solution for hotel room locks (using the Assa Abloy Mobile Keys SDK).

Apparently that plan has been scrapped, as I've since been informed that this solution will be NFC based (at least on iOS) and will utilize Apple Wallet (via a special partnership with Apple). That means that features like Express Mode (which allows you to tap/scan your phone without FaceID/TouchID, as well as use it for several hours after the battery dies on newer iPhones) will be available.

I would expect this to use NFC on Android also, especially since Android's NFC APIs aren't restricted.

aaronml

Evidently I spoke too soon re: this using BLE and not NFC.

The original plan for this was indeed to use BLE (hence why 2nd generation Touch Points have BLE support, etc.), just like the existing Digital Key solution for hotel room locks (using the Assa Abloy Mobile Keys SDK).

Apparently that plan has been scrapped, as I've since been informed that this solution will be NFC based (at least on iOS) and will utilize Apple Wallet (via a special partnership with Apple). That means that features like Express Mode (which allows you to tap/scan your phone without FaceID/TouchID, as well as use it for several hours after the battery dies on newer iPhones) will be available.

I would expect this to use NFC on Android also, especially since Android's NFC APIs aren't restricted.
Adding onto this somewhat..... the NFC-based solution that Disney is currently planning on using for this isn’t currently compatible with the VingCard locks that Disney uses at the resort hotels. As a result, while you will be able to use an Apple Wallet credential for Tapstiles, FP+, Payments, etc. you will still need to use the MDX application’s BLE-based “Digital Key” for unlocking your hotel room.

IMO, that’s a bit ironic since you are more likely to need to get into your hotel room when your battery is dead (where Apple Wallet would still work) than redeem a FP+.

Until that problem is solved I would definitely suggest getting a KTTW card as a backup

Texas84

Sorry if I missed this, but will AP holders still get free bands? Not a big deal, I love the bands and have bought them before.

jprenkert

Quite disappointed with this news. Wife and I love picking colors and then waiting for them to arrive. Love not having to worry about looking at my phone, or carrying a wallet when at the parks. When i have used the app, it has 1) sucked my battery 2) unreliable and hard to search for certain information. Plan on continuing to use the Magic band on next visit. Love the easy, wrist to the mickey and go.. hate fumbling around on a phone.

Cousin in law who works in computer tech and securities, mentioned to me when Disney first did the Bluetooth door unlock, that its is rather easy to hack Bluetooth

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom