Expedition Everest effects status watch

Pepper's Ghost

Ahhhhh... memories..... Insane how outstanding this effect once was prior to Disco Yeti.

full

mergatroid

Ahhhhh... memories..... Insane how outstanding this effect once was prior to Disco Yeti.

full

In all the times I rode it fully working it never looked that cool. The simple reason being that you'd be shooting by in a fast moving vehicle rather than a stationery position such as the camera filming that. Also the lighting was different or your eyes hadn't adjusted to the darkness quickly enough to get a great view. Now I'm not saying 'disco yeti' is better, it's just I'd always thought it a strange choice to have such a detailed, expensive audioanimatronic in a situation where it's blink and you miss it.

I still think if they'd placed it where you stop for the 2nd time and start rolling forwards again, that they could have just lit it, had it swing for you whilst you're stationery and then you escape as the vehicle shoots off. I understand having him (or her?) at the end is saving the surprise reveal til last, however it's a wasted opportunity as you fly by way too fast to appreciate it to anywhere near it's potential. But that's just my opinion and what do I know?

Last edited:

Dragonman

In all the times I rode it fully working it never looked that cool. The simple reason being that you'd be shooting by in a fast moving vehicle rather than a stationery position such as the camera filming that. Also the lighting was different or your eyes hadn't adjusted to the darkness quickly enough to get a great view. Now I'm not saying 'disco yeti' is better, it's just I'd always thought it a strange choice to have such a detailed, expensive audioanimatronic in a situation where it's blink and you miss it.

I still think if they'd placed it where you stop for the 2nd time and start rolling forwards again, that they could have just lit it, had it swing for you whilst you're stationery and then you escape as the vehicle shoots off. I understand having him (or her?) at the end is saving the surprise reveal til last, however it's a wasted opportunity as you fly by way too fast to appreciate it to anywhere near it's potential. But that's just my opinion and what do I know?

Yeah I think if it was at the second stop, it would be more of priority to fix it since it would be more prominent there.

This may be a dumb question that has been discussed before but does anyone know if the yeti has any remaining functionality? Like could they flip a switch and run it through some test motions if they wanted to or are we past that point?

G00fyDad

This may be a dumb question that has been discussed before but does anyone know if the yeti has any remaining functionality? Like could they flip a switch and run it through some test motions if they wanted to or are we past that point?

The last I heard (years ago) was the base that he slides out on formed a crack and made it unsafe for guests on the ride. They were going to try to fix it but the mechanics of the Yeti proved to be too much for the support system even if completely replaced. So they left him in B mode. At least this is what I remember.

The last I heard (years ago) was the base that he slides out on formed a crack and made it unsafe for guests on the ride. They were going to try to fix it but the mechanics of the Yeti proved to be too much for the support system even if completely replaced. So they left him in B mode. At least this is what I remember.

I believe it’s been discussed in this thread, that while that is a popular rumor, that is actually untrue . That the true problem I believe is within the actual yeti itself. Movement causes stress on a joint and constant maintenance would be required to keep it A mode.

G00fyDad

I believe it’s been discussed in this thread, that while that is a popular rumor, that is actually untrue . That the true problem I believe is within the actual yeti itself. Movement causes stress on a joint and constant maintenance would be required to keep it A mode.

That is what I was saying. There is an arm (I called it a platform. Sorry.) that pushes the Yeti out. That is what supposedly has the crack. And it was here in WDWMagic that I found this out from the insiders here. But regardless of what I called it we are saying the same thing. Too much stress on the part and too expensive to keep fixing it since it will continue to break. :)

That is what I was saying. There is an arm (I called it a platform. Sorry.) that pushes the Yeti out. That is what supposedly has the crack. And it was here in WDWMagic that I found this out from the insiders here. But regardless of what I called it we are saying the same thing. Too much stress on the part and too expensive to keep fixing it since it will continue to break. :)

oops my bad! Yes we’re talking about the same thing lol

lazyboy97o

No, you’re not talking about the same thing. The problem is with the figure itself. The figure has been removed in the past and there is absolutely no way that Disney would continue to use a damaged structure related to an overhead object.

The main point of my question was just if they wanted to (I know they probably don’t care at this point) could they get the yeti to move or has it been stripped of all its functionality

lazyboy97o

The main point of my question was just if they wanted to (I know they probably don’t care at this point) could they get the yeti to move or has it been stripped of all its functionality
It stopped working because it was not properly maintained, which was significantly more work than initially expected. It’s not just turned off because of a damaged structure. The figure would require repairs/redesign but fighting over who should pay (Imagineering who delivered something much harder to maintain or the park who had trouble keeping up with the maintenance) is why it just sits there.

yensidtlaw1969

The idea was to play into the mythology of the Yeti - Is he real? Is he not? By the time you see him in the ride it's pretty well established that he IS real, but if you got a good, definitive look at him then the mystery that is so much of his appeal would be gone. In order to fit the aesthetic of the park, the figure has to be detailed and realistic, which means they had to make specific choices about what their Yeti looks like, but also risks taking away from the mythic nature of the beast. So by having it be such a fleeting encounter it makes it difficult to take in all that detail at once and say conclusively what you actually saw . . . much like real accounts of purported encounters with the Yeti.

Presumably, too, if you spent too long around him he would "get" you . . . that's one if the quibbles I have with Dinosaur! We see the Carnotaurus so often and get away pretty easily each time, by the end he doesn't fully feel like a threat. Though that last, big, sliding head does make an impact.

Pepper's Ghost

The idea was to play into the mythology of the Yeti - Is he real? Is he not? By the time you see him in the ride it's pretty well established that he IS real, but if you got a good, definitive look at him then the mystery that is so much of his appeal would be gone. In order to fit the aesthetic of the park, the figure has to be detailed and realistic, which means they had to make specific choices about what their Yeti looks like, but also risks taking away from the mythic nature of the beast. So by having it be such a fleeting encounter it makes it difficult to take in all that detail at once and say conclusively what you actually saw . . . much like real accounts of purported encounters with the Yeti.

Presumably, too, if you spent too long around him he would "get" you . . . that's one if the quibbles I have with Dinosaur! We see the Carnotaurus so often and get away pretty easily each time, by the end he doesn't fully feel like a threat. Though that last, big, sliding head does make an impact.

I agree with your first paragraph, but you lost me on the second one. 😁 I mean, there NEVER is going to be a time where he will "fully feel like a threat".

NormC

Yes, they could and they have run it through some test motions including some alternate motion profiles.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom