Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calmdownnow

A percentage of people will develop diabetes anyway. Just like many of the deaths were people actively dying. The scientific community hasn't exactly set a high standard with the way they have manipulated the numbers since this started. Same fear tactics used for AGW seem to be at play here.
I think the background to the study is that UK medics are reporting more people than normally expected -- at younger age and without earlier signs of the illness -- are presenting with diabetic symptoms after being COVID positive. It is a study -- aimed at finding out if the data reflects any link. This is how you find out the facts about a novel virus's impact on community health.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Just for clarity, the vast majority of the ICU beds are occupied by non-covid cases. Currently there is still sufficient capacity to handle a surge of cases, based on the current numbers and trends.

That said, however, this is the primary data point I worry about. If we start seeing hospitalization/ICU utilization increasing much faster than it currently is, then we will really have a problem. I suspect we should see if that's going to happen in the next week or two.
I’m no doctor so this may be off base, but as we have moved away from using ventilators as often for Covid treatment does that result in less Covid patients in the actual ICU? I assume most patients on a ventilator are in the ICU except for some used for general anesthesia during surgery.

Heppenheimer

I’m no doctor so this may be off base, but as we have moved away from using ventilators as often for Covid treatment does that result in less Covid patients in the actual ICU? I assume most patients on a ventilator are in the ICU except for some used for general anesthesia during surgery.
That depends. Although a ventilator is an absolute indication for ICU care, if a COVID patient also requires pressor support to keep their blood pressure from crashing, that also needs to be handled in an ICU.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Mayor Demmings just announced Orange County will have a mask requirement beginning June 20th.

Ea0wzbaXYAUWbog.png
Ea0wz3xWAAIIPdZ.png

Rider

Some articles:

Jenny72

I know not everyone is like me, but I'd actually be much more likely to go to tourism spots if there were reasonable precautions. I'm only going to local businesses, dental places, etc. if they have made modifications where it's helpful for social distancing/etc. Businesses claiming there's no problem make me much less likely to go. Again, I know others would disagree, but it's not clear to me that there's a net tourism benefit by opening lots of things with low restrictions. Maybe. But at least in my area, most people are still somewhat cautious and I don't think they'd be too likely to travel to Florida right now.

mickeymiss

I know not everyone is like me, but I'd actually be much more likely to go to tourism spots if there were reasonable precautions. I'm only going to local businesses, dental places, etc. if they have made modifications where it's helpful for social distancing/etc. Businesses claiming there's no problem make me much less likely to go. Again, I know others would disagree, but it's not clear to me that there's a net tourism benefit by opening lots of things with low restrictions. Maybe. But at least in my area, most people are still somewhat cautious and I don't think they'd be too likely to travel to Florida right now.
I agree but I'm also eager for some data to show that masks and distancing work well. I know there can be no guarantees but it would be difficult to think of Disney as magical if covid was our souvenir. It wouldn't be their fault *at all* but it would be quite devastating. I have to seriously ponder our risk tolerance especially as nationwide cases seem destined to increase as we open.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"AMC has made official their U.S. reopening plans after what will be a four-month shutdown due to COVID-19 with 450 U.S. locations on July 15, roughly 150 remaining locations in time for Disney’s Mulan on July 24 and Warner Bros. Tenet on July 31.

AMC will have open their locations over four internal phases. In phase 1 with 30% seating capacity. At all theatres nationwide in non-recliner auditoriums, AMC will automatically block out every other row of seats for every showtime. Phase 2 raises auditorium capacities to 40%, and by Labor Day the chain is looking at 50% auditorium capacity. By Thanksgiving, the plan is for AMC to get to 100% in time for Disney’s Soul and MGM’s No Time to Die. "

"AMC has made official their U.S. reopening plans after what will be a four-month shutdown due to COVID-19 with 450 U.S. locations on July 15, roughly 150 remaining locations in time for Disney’s Mulan on July 24 and Warner Bros. Tenet on July 31.

AMC will have open their locations over four internal phases. In phase 1 with 30% seating capacity. At all theatres nationwide in non-recliner auditoriums, AMC will automatically block out every other row of seats for every showtime. Phase 2 raises auditorium capacities to 40%, and by Labor Day the chain is looking at 50% auditorium capacity. By Thanksgiving, the plan is for AMC to get to 100% in time for Disney’s Soul and MGM’s No Time to Die. "

I’m hoping they can stick to this timeline because of how many jobs are tied to the industry, but I have a lot of doubts that they’ll actually be able to move forward that quickly, along with whether Disney & WB will actually release Mulan & Tenet this summer or even this year in theaters. I believe they’ll get theatrical releases eventually since they are big budget tentpole pictures, but I doubt they release them without a guaranteed large return, their budgets are too large to simply take the hit from passing on a large scale release.

DisneyDebRob

Seems like they are playing it safe and going about it in a very good way. Good for them.

legwand77

Just for clarity, the vast majority of the ICU beds are occupied by non-covid cases. Currently there is still sufficient capacity to handle a surge of cases, based on the current numbers and trends.

That said, however, this is the primary data point I worry about. If we start seeing hospitalization/ICU utilization increasing much faster than it currently is, then we will really have a problem. I suspect we should see if that's going to happen in the next week or two.
Yes, and they typically run at that level pre-covid, hospitals don't make money on empty beds, it is fine tuned.

DisneyDebRob

OK, all joking aside, this is BAD! They must at least try to do contract tracing in this case. I hope all who worked there and dined there gets tested.
There’s been a lot of talk about this on another thread. Some people think it’s not true but when asked about it, Landry’s responded by not denying it, just giving the usual blah blah, safety first , etc. answer. I agree it’s bad if true, not only by letting him continue to work but the lies and aftermath also.

MrHappy

Plenty of people were complaining about those groups as well.

And before we blame this all on protests, remember that at least some states (Ohio, Minnesota, others) have not seen an increase in cases. And there were certainly protests in those states.

Something is definitely different about Florida.
Isn’t that on the state license plates?

mickeymiss

There’s been a lot of talk about this on another thread. Some people think it’s not true but when asked about it, Landry’s responded by not denying it, just giving the usual blah blah, safety first , etc. answer. I agree it’s bad if true, not only by letting him continue to work but the lies and aftermath also.
I have gotten in touch with a business before that gave automated privacy response. I don't know what to believe but I'd want a better source than a guy on twitter. Who was that person btw?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom