Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rider

FTFY

As of February 2020, the Department of Economic Opportunity estimated that of the 9.1 million people employed in Florida, 1.3 million have jobs related to the tourism industry, which contributes $85.9 billion to the state GDP.

It's going to really hurt if Florida becomes known as the Leper Colony for COVID. It could damage tourism for years.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yup, protests are outdoors.

Indoors w/o masks is the issue.

so, bars...
For sure that seems to be the case. Theme parks may actually be a lot less problematic in a lot of ways. You still need the masks due to indoor queues, shopping and transport. Something like a zoo is probably one of the safest things to have open assuming it’s not over crowded. Outside of choke points like front gate or gift shops should be enough room to spread out and maybe not even need masks.

Seanual757

FTFY

As of February 2020, the Department of Economic Opportunity estimated that of the 9.1 million people employed in Florida, 1.3 million have jobs related to the tourism industry, which contributes $85.9 billion to the state GDP.

what you fail to realize is if tourism is stopped you stop a good chunk of construction (home builders, commercial, ect.....), suppliers layoff, restaurants close, stores close, car dealerships do sell cars, rental cars are not needed, you do not need as many hospital staff, school staff, staff at daycare because folks cannot pay bills, hotels and staff are not needed, the list goes on and on it's called the Domino effect.

Other parts of Florida might be fine but Central Florida was built on tourism and we need the tourism industry to keep the other industries healthy.

disneygeek90

what you fail to realize is if tourism is stopped you stop a good chunk of construction (home builders, commercial, ect.....), suppliers layoff, restaurants close, stores close, car dealerships do sell cars, rental cars are not needed, you do not need as many hospital staff, school staff, staff at daycare because folks cannot pay bills, hotels and staff are not needed, the list goes on and on it's called the Domino effect.

Other parts of Florida might be fine but Central Florida was built on tourism and we need the tourism industry to keep the other industries healthy.
It's too bad our government didn't choose to open with a bit more restrictions in order to help prevent spiking so people would feel more comfortable going on vacations. If people were on the fence about planning a fall visit a month ago the past week or two aren't doing anything to help those concerns.

Seanual757

Yeah, I don't want anyone from Florida bringing it to my neighborhood. We have enough issues here as it is! I seem to recall reading the same thing about NYC a few months ago. Oh, these times. These troubled times.

So far all of those are listed in South Florida as of this morning again those were the hot spots in Florida from the start, so far in Central Florida local hospital and health officials reported yesterday that as of now they are not yet concerned, the majority of the ICU beds in use are from elective surgeries and emergency procedures not related to COVID-19 this was reported for Orange County (WDW is located in Orange) and Seminole County just north of Orlando area.

Again I am not down playing cases I am just reporting that those Covid-19 increases are down in the Palm Beach and Miami/Dade/Broward area. Here in Central Florida (where WDW is located) have not seen an increase of ICU bed increase.

Heppenheimer

It's too bad our government didn't choose to open with a bit more restrictions in order to help prevent spiking so people would feel more comfortable going on vacations. If people were on the fence about planning a fall visit a month ago the past week or two aren't doing anything to help those concerns.
That's pretty much me. I'm not cancelling my fall trip just yet, but it looks increasingly likely that I will.

oceanbreeze77

"New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said he’ll be conferring with his public health experts and consider calls for a two-week quarantine against Floridians coming into his state."

Oh wow, how the turns have tabled.
1592509401293.png

disneygeek90

"New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said he’ll be conferring with his public health experts and consider calls for a two-week quarantine against Floridians coming into his state."

Oh wow, how the turns have tabled.
How does this effect my vacation to NYC? I was looking forward to catching some Yankees baseball this summer. Oh wait...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Assuming all of that is true...wow. Companies and people in general need to do better. Businesses need to support workers and encourage them to stay home if sick (AKA pay them). People need to take some personal responsibility too. Do you really want to infect your friends and co-workers?

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Assuming all of that is true...wow. Companies and people in general need to do better. Businesses need to support workers and encourage them to stay home if sick (AKA pay them). People need to take some personal responsibility too. Do you really want to infect your friends and co-workers?

One of my family members works in a warehouse. If/when one of their employees tests positive, they immediately shut down for the remainder of the day and someone comes in to sanitize the entire building. Contact tracing also occurs to determine if there is spread between employees or if the positive case came from the outside.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
One of my family members works in a warehouse. If/when one of their employees tests positive, they immediately shut down for the remainder of the day and someone comes in to sanitize the entire building. Contact tracing also occurs to determine if there is spread between employees or if the positive case came from the outside.
Makes sense. A good company actually cares about its employees. I can’t see how or why anyone would try to sweep something like that under the rug.

robhedin

Just for clarity, the vast majority of the ICU beds are occupied by non-covid cases. Currently there is still sufficient capacity to handle a surge of cases, based on the current numbers and trends.

That said, however, this is the primary data point I worry about. If we start seeing hospitalization/ICU utilization increasing much faster than it currently is, then we will really have a problem. I suspect we should see if that's going to happen in the next week or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom