News Walt Disney World's COVID-19 reopening plans announced - July 11

Gravydeen

Yea
So what do we think it says about the state of WDW's new reservation system that we're less than a month out now and still don't have any details whatsoever?

I'm losing confidence by the day that the distribution of park reservations will be anything else than than a giant train-wreck. There's so many details and variables that they have to work out... I'm not sure that they have the time to make it all work considering their IT track record.
Yes I'm getting more concerned by the day. I am waiting on the communication from Disney about our resort for our trip starting July 10th. While it will be good to get some of the resort questions answered, none of that matters until we know we can get in the park. How close to the start of our trip are we going to have to wait to know? We can't wait until a few days before the trip to know. We have to plan ahead like most people do. Things like pet boarding, buying clothes that we usually need before a week long trip, stocking up on face mask etc...

DCBaker

Premium Member
"According to information given to Cast Members, theme park roles will be recalled to work on June 28th. The recall will be for full-time Cast Members at first, and then a backfill of part-time and seasonal Cast Members if needed."

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So what do we think it says about the state of WDW's new reservation system that we're less than a month out now and still don't have any details whatsoever?

I'm losing confidence by the day that the distribution of park reservations will be anything else than than a giant train-wreck. There's so many details and variables that they have to work out... I'm not sure that they have the time to make it all work considering their IT track record.
I’m starting to think they would have been better off just going with a clean sweep. Cancel all active resort reservations through August or Sept (similar to ADRs and FP+) and then when they decide which resorts will be open first and when, invite people who had reservations to rebook first if they are interested. It seems like a lot of the early issues are around how to accommodate people with existing reservations. Some people would feel they got screwed in the process (especially if the price goes up vs what they initially booked), but trying to please everyone isn‘t working all that well either. At least everyone would know where they stand.

dmw

In the Parks
No
Does anyone have a suggestions for the best kind of mask for comfort in the heat?
I personally don't wear masks when cycling or running, but from reviews I have read, the Skin Cooler masks made by DeSoto sports are very good.

danv3

It's pretty likely to be a train wreck, at least initially. If they add virtual queues to the mix, a train wreck is a certainty.

Peter Pan's Shadow

I just spent 5 days there and brought disposable masks and bought the better quality Universal branded masks and the multi-purpose headband masks that cover from the nose to the neck. The disposable ones were by far the best ones. They allowed air to flow on the sides and was pure gold. The other better quality ones got so hot and made my face sweat. Tricks are to use the underwire part over the nose and bend it to conform to your face so that sunglasses and 3D glasses , otherwise they get condensation on the inside. Also I folded the bottom edge under once and it seemed to allow a bit of air under the chin.
Does anyone have a suggestions for the best kind of mask for comfort in the heat?

Gravydeen

I just spent 5 days there and brought disposable masks and bought the better quality Universal branded masks and the multi-purpose headband masks that cover from the nose to the neck. The disposable ones were by far the best ones. They allowed air to flow on the sides and was pure gold. The other better quality ones got so hot and made my face sweat. Tricks are to use the underwire part over the nose and bend it to conform to your face so that sunglasses and 3D glasses , otherwise they get condensation on the inside. Also I folded the bottom edge under once and it seemed to allow a bit of air under the chin.
Thanks. Can you be more specific on which ones are the "disposable ones"? I imagine there are a lot out there. What makes one a "disposable one"? Are they paper rather than cloth or just thinner? Do the disposable ones have the nose wire like you say? I know I have used the N95 masks with the wire. Where might I go to find them? Walmart?

Peter Pan's Shadow

Thanks. Can you be more specific on which ones are the "disposable ones"? I imagine there are a lot out there. What makes one a "disposable one"? Are they paper rather than cloth or just thinner? Do the disposable ones have the nose wire like you say? I know I have used the N95 masks with the wire. Where might I go to find them? Walmart?
We bought a 10 or 12 pack from our local grocery store as starters until we could find better, but none of the pricier ones were. They’re light blue on one side and white on the other and strings to go around your ears. Sounds cheap as hell, but other than having to hold it in place on Rip Ride Rocket and Hulk was WAYYYY more comfortable. My wife’s face is smaller and she was told to twist the strings and it worked great. I know this doesn’t sound right, but 5 days and several purchases later I swear it’s true.

Getachew

"According to information given to Cast Members, theme park roles will be recalled to work on June 28th. The recall will be for full-time Cast Members at first, and then a backfill of part-time and seasonal Cast Members if needed."

Does it specify what roles and parks?

mhaftman7

So I’m patiently waiting for my turn. We are currently booked August 16th - 23rd. We are going to re-scheduling for next summer. Too much uncertainty to take a gamble on how things go. What I’m interested in seeing is how they handle bounce back reservations. We booked last August and got a free dining plan for booking at a Deluxe. I understand that they are providing a 35% discount off the room rate in lieu of the dining plan, but in my experience, you are also getting a great deal by booking that far in advance. I’ve never seen a special offer that comes within $1,000 of my bounce back offer. Has anyone had a similar scenario occur in all of this?

Tuvalu

Premium Member
So I’m patiently waiting for my turn. We are currently booked August 16th - 23rd. We are going to re-scheduling for next summer. Too much uncertainty to take a gamble on how things go. What I’m interested in seeing is how they handle bounce back reservations. We booked last August and got a free dining plan for booking at a Deluxe. I understand that they are providing a 35% discount off the room rate in lieu of the dining plan, but in my experience, you are also getting a great deal by booking that far in advance. I’ve never seen a special offer that comes within $1,000 of my bounce back offer. Has anyone had a similar scenario occur in all of this?
You’ll need to be VERY patient. Disney is just now contacting those with end of June/early July reservations.

You won’t be contacted if your resort is open in August. If you don’t show up to check in, Disney will auto cancel your reservation and refund your deposit. If your resort isn’t open in August, you may or may not be contacted. (I wasn’t and the CM did not know why. I was booked on a Bounceback.)

Don’t count on rebooking next year with the discount you had. Disney is not offering any discounts to rebook at this time.

DisneyDebRob

I have no suggestion but my gut says that the more comfortable in heat the less effective the mask.
Agreed. Now you hear people saying they have light weight, can breathe easily, air comes in from all sides.. etc. still better then nothing but not real good. I think anything right now would be better then a lot of the pictures I’m seeing with nothing on.

mhaftman7

You’ll need to be VERY patient. Disney is just now contacting those with end of June/early July reservations.

You won’t be contacted if your resort is open in August. If you don’t show up to check in, Disney will auto cancel your reservation and refund your deposit. If your resort isn’t open in August, you may or may not be contacted. (I wasn’t and the CM did not know why. I was booked on a Bounceback.)

I mean I attempted to re-schedule earlier and they told me they would be reaching out when we were eligible to make changes. I might try next weekend to be proactive since you said they did not reach out to you.

Don’t count on rebooking next year with the discount you had. Disney is not offering any discounts to rebook at this time.
In general, or beyond the 35% room rate discount? I would hope they would be willing to be accommodating, but if they aren’t and my family is dissatisfied, there are other places to spend my money. Simple as that.

beertiki

The most comfortable mask is the neck gaiter type worn by fisherman. We have been wearing those masks for sun protection long before Covid. They were designed to be light and breathable. I would recommend you purchase from a company that was making these before the pandemic, then you know you are getting a mask that will be light and breathable. If the company does not sell shirts of similar material made for fishing, they might not be what you are looking for.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom