The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MySmallWorldof4

Went to Dicks bc the baseball shoes that T got for Christmas, are now too small. He wore them one time. 🤦‍♀️

****’s had a huge baseball sale last month, but I didn’t buy anything due to the season being cancelled. Now, baseball is back.. though just scrimmages for us... we’re not doing school uniforms or equipment due to the cancellation., So, we had to buy a specific shirt, specific pants, specific socks, each kid needs new helmet (not allowed to share).. and somehow T’s batting gloves, both pair, are also too small.. so he says. He lost his baseball sunglasses last year, begged for a new pair., but this time he wanted Oakleys...not one thing was on sale, not sunglasses, nothing. We tried on Oakley’s.. he loved them, but I just couldn’t spend that much, knowing how often he looses things. I asked if they had anything similar that was cheaper, telling the clerk that my son is prone to loosing equipment.
He goes in the back and brings out a pair of UA glasses, tells me he doesn’t know the price but they’re probably half the price of Oakleys.. he can check if I want, I said no, assuming $40 or so.
T loved them. Said “You can get the cheap ones mom.” We go to the check out line with our shoes and all other items... the stupid glasses were $89 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️ That’s not cheap!!!!

I spent so much today when seriously this kid is going to play maybe 4 scrimmage games. I purchased a replacement plan for the glasses for an additional $20, but it only covers damage, not lost.
I’m really hoping the gloves, glasses, and helmet last at least thru next year.

He lost his Ray Bans in April (regular sunglasses, not baseball), left them at a park, not there when we went back. I told him that if he loses this helmet, glasses, or new batting gloves, or new bat.. then he is never getting a new item for a sport again.

I hate what I had to spend today.. but I am soooo glad that baseball is back. I’m going to try to hang around, at a far distance to watch practice today.
This has nothing tondo with what your post was really about but I noticed that Dicks didn’t get asterisked out, but with the comma before the s it did. :hilarious:
Glad T can enjoy some baseball.

MySmallWorldof4

Has anyone sold anything on FB marketplace before? I usually just give T’s stuff away.. but the shoes were expensive for his age, and only used literally one time. One of the pair of batting gloves was only used 3 times, indoors with the trainer. Then he has a bat that he hates, from last year.. almost $300. My dad bought him a new one this year.

I’d really rather sell these items instead of giving away.. but I don’t know if that’s weird.
I have. It worked great.

MySmallWorldof4

Today was 'materials turn-in/pick-up' day at the high school where I teach. I was there at 6:30am getting stuff prepared. My band room has 150 lockers and anything in them had to be pulled out bagged and labeled. Plus about 15 kids were picking up school instruments to borrow for the summer - mainly marching band kids who are still hopeful. We then distributed things and got things given back from 8am-11:30am. Then I drove around the district to deliver Senior Awards to kids for about 3 hours and then back to the school for part 2 of the recieving/distributing event from 3:30-6:30pm. Make for quite a long day! Not looking forward to going through the two paper boxes full of music that I collect, but I've got all summer to deal with it!

Now I know that I can deal with about a 12 hour day of wearing a mask in mid 80s temperatures, high humidity, and full sun and not be too miserable. I was much more miserable from the darn rubber gloves and having to wear long pants (maintaining some level of professionalism). This bodes well for our potential couple weeks in WDW in mid-July. I'm no fan of the heat, but very glad that the mask wearing wasn't too awful.
You should get an interesting tan with a mask. ;)

FutureCEO

So, I spoke with the guy doin’ the rebuild on my folks house last week, and we discussed options for moving the pantry into the Bonus/Game Room near the kitchen, since it will no longer be there because of the new island.
He said he would do some drawings and then send us all PDFs.
I know he meant well, but, what we all got was pics of a bunch of chicken scratch on spiral notebook graph paper with illegible writing that only I could understand/decipher...!!!!! :hilarious:
I spent my last 2 lunch hours producing CAD drawings that I sent to all concerned family members that they are so happy about...!!!!! :happy:
Of course, there could be many combinations thereof (over the years in my career, I’ve learned not to overload “clients” ;)), but, here they are...!!! :)

View attachment 474462

I know I would like a direct line to my pantry so Option A and B would be out for me 😂

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
I guess snakes and bears (and spiders, don't forget the spiders, oh and ticks) here are kinda like the ocean for you. Yeah, there are sharks, jellyfish, man-o-war, seasnakes and lots of others creepy things you just don't see.
I am fascinated by bears. Here are some we saw in the Smokies awhile back. We just stayed quiet and watched the mama and her two cubs. I snapped a couple of pics but otherwise stayed quiet and they just ignored us.
On trails back home we had to contend with cougars. I loved when we saw them. Scary but majestic 😍😍

Sorry I had to bail out last night... too tired from the long day! The first time we drove cross country with our daughter, we had fun with coming up with 'subtle' warning signals in case we saw bears or cougars/mountain lions on our hikes. Pretty sad that we didn't get to use either warning on that trip. We have seen bears in Yellowstone before and been blocked from certain trails in Yosemite because of bear activity, but never really on the path with us. Our daughter considers it a lifelong dream to see a mountain lion somewhere!

On a perhaps alarming side note, we have found bear scat in our backyard before (as recently as a few months ago). I know they aren't terribly common in this area, but there are black bear sightings in the area every couple years, so they are definitely out there! Still hoping to use our 'subtle' warning signals (although perhaps screaming 'good god, it's a bear' isn't all that subtle).

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Sorry I had to bail out last night... too tired from the long day! The first time we drove cross country with our daughter, we had fun with coming up with 'subtle' warning signals in case we saw bears or cougars/mountain lions on our hikes. Pretty sad that we didn't get to use either warning on that trip. We have seen bears in Yellowstone before and been blocked from certain trails in Yosemite because of bear activity, but never really on the path with us. Our daughter considers it a lifelong dream to see a mountain lion somewhere!

On a perhaps alarming side note, we have found bear scat in our backyard before (as recently as a few months ago). I know they aren't terribly common in this area, but there are black bear sightings in the area every couple years, so they are definitely out there! Still hoping to use our 'subtle' warning signals (although perhaps screaming 'good god, it's a bear' isn't all that subtle).

You'll want to make sure you have some not so subtle warnings when dealing with cougars. Usually they leave you alone if you're loud and aggressive, but not always. We got into a show down with one who must have been hungry and the only thing that saved us Buttercup, my friend's dog. We were able to get away but only because he gave his life for us. We don't deserve dogs 💖💖

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
You'll want to make sure you have some not so subtle warnings when dealing with cougars. Usually they leave you alone if you're loud and aggressive, but not always. We got into a show down with one who must have been hungry and the only thing that saved us Buttercup, my friend's dog. We were able to get away but only because he gave his life for us. We don't deserve dogs 💖💖

So sorry about Buttercup! That is so sad. But thank goodness she was there for you. We actually have read up on dealing with all different wildlife while hiking. The 'subtle' warnings was a running joke in the family because we expect that if we actually came across something like a bear or mountain lion on a hike things would most likely start with a very loud expletive (most likely followed by my wife and daughter running and me trying to get a better picture).

Figgy1

Premium Member
@21stamps - LOVE the hiking pictures. I do a lot of hiking (well at least as much as I can) and that looks like a good one. IF the weather doesn't look too bad, a friend and I are meeting to do about 10 miles of the Appalachian Trail on Friday. If the weather does look bad (or just not that good), we'll just find a restaurant with good beer and outdoor seating (since that's the only way restaurants can open here).

@figmentfan423 - LOVE the Star Trek music you shared. The music from Star Trek II is possibly my favorite musical score - and that's saying quite a lot from a guy who owns a few hundred soundtrack CDs and has taught courses in movie scoring. James Horner worked some real magic in that one.
I enjoy ST music but I think Harry Potter is my favorite

MySmallWorldof4

Oh my gosh! Buttercup was a hero. This makes me want to cry.

Figgy1

Premium Member

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
I enjoy ST music but I think Harry Potter is my favorite

I'm a huge fan of pretty much all things John Williams, so I love the early Potter music - not as big of a fan of the later movies soundtracks, though. I love the earlier James Horner soundtracks, but think he started to just repeat himself with everything later in his career. I didn't used to like Jerry Goldsmith very much, but his music has grown on me recently. Perhaps my favorite composer overall is Philip Glass and I really like his movie music, but I actually don't think it's as good as his 'regular' work, so he's not quite as high on my list. Everyone currently 'loves' Michael Giacchino (sp?) and while I think The Incredibles is an awesome soundtrack, I'm much less sold on most of his other work. Okay, I really went all music geek a bit there didn't I...

Goofyernmost

Can't live without AC here in coastal SC the temps can be mid to high 90's and the humidity about the same. I often wonder how people survived back in the day of no AC
I wonder the same thing all the time. This morning it was in the upper 70's when I was playing golf. The humidity was very high and I was sweating rather heavily. How did people that wore dark colored suits, stiff neck collars and multiple layers of clothing (especially the women) and didn't have fans or AC survive. They were at the mercy of the wind blowing to bring some relief in the evening.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom