The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

truecoat

Good job, Spacex!
That said, I have a rant: So much at Spacex is snarky. Like naming their recovery barge "Of course I still love you" to embarrass tv commentators. ( They claim they're honoring sci-fi author Iain M. Banks. )

Well they named the other barge "Just read the instructions" honoring the same guy so it checks out.

socalifornian

BARF
2FA6D837-CDA8-4C80-8774-211741882499.gif

No Name

Just thinking about how a roller coaster is inherently the wrong ride system for an attraction based off of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

Not agreeing or disagreeing, but the whole point was to give Snow White the back seat because the company was afraid that they were becoming too girl-oriented. That’s also why they bought Marvel, and why they renamed the carousel from Cinderella’s to Prince Charming’s. When a princess loses her property to her husband in the 21st century that’s when you know TWDC’s gone mad!

SDMT looks beautiful from the outside throughout Fantasyland but in my opinion the real problem is that it got budget cut multiple times so it’s a pretty short ride. And the swinging cars arguably make it less thrilling.

No Name

One distinctly 21st century thing the company does is come up with massive backstories for things nobody questions. Like this ridiculous slew of words:

“Following their fairy-tale romance and happily-ever-after wedding, Cinderella and Prince Charming took up residence in Cinderella’s Castle. With peace throughout the kingdom, Prince Charming had time to practice for jousting tournaments. In the countryside near the castle, he built a training device of carved horses, on which he could practice the art of ring-spearing, a tournament event in which a knight rides his horse full speed, lance in hand, toward a small ring hanging from a tree limb, with the object of spearing the ring. This event was known by various names throughout the lands, but generally came to be called “carrousel.” The carrousel device drew the attention of the villagers, who wanted to take a turn on this amazing spinning contraption. So Prince Charming had a second carrousel constructed closer to the Castle, where everyone could take a spin on this wondrous invention. Instead of a working knight’s training device, however, this new carrousel is more befitting its regal location in the Castle Courtyard – its rustic training horses replaced with ornately decorated prancing steeds adorned with golden helmets and shields, flower garlands, feathers, and other festoons. Prince Charming invites one and all to test their horsemanship skills and to enjoy their own happy ending.”

lazyboy97o

Not agreeing or disagreeing, but the whole point was to give Snow White the back seat because the company was afraid that they were becoming too girl-oriented. That’s also why they bought Marvel, and why they renamed the carousel from Cinderella’s to Prince Charming’s. When a princess loses her property to her husband in the 21st century that’s when you know TWDC’s gone mad!
The carrousel was also renamed because they didn't want Cinderella to have two "attractions" in close proximity because people are too stupid to figure things out. I think we can all agree that making birthday cards would have been the height of immersion and what everyone wishes they could do when watching Sleeping Beauty.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Cinderella deserves a real ride. It’s true that the story and it’s setting don’t necessarily lend themselves to a great ride. Which is why I propose a West coast yet new and improved Ratatouille (with screens only as backgrounds) where we are shrunk down to the level of Gus and Jaq and escape Lucifer throughout the barn and house.

PiratesMansion

True yet it looks kind of cool. As other said, I wish that it had a couple more show scenes.

It is the most overrated thing they've built all decade, IMO. Far too short and incredibly uncomfortable for larger guests in a way that, until recently, was pretty atypical of Disney.

I haven't actually seen the movie yet, but it sounds like a ride based on Cinderella III would be way more interesting than one based on Cinderella proper, as heretical as that would be.

PiratesMansion

Thanks for the link.

Interestingly enough, the last minute or so of the older diorama track for the railroad is still used at Tokyo Disneyland for their Primeval World diorama. Does anyone know when Disneyland switched to the current diorama tracks, and why? My guess is that they felt the original Primeval track was a bit too menacing but I have nothing to back that other than a hunch.

I then went to Paris' train to see if they used any music in their Grand Canyon diorama and to see if they used any of the older music only to discover that theirs doesn't really use any music at all.

EDIT: Discovered it has other park stuff on it too, like the original Fantillusion soundtrack! And the Phantom Manor Suite, which singlehandedly turned Disneyland Paris from "must go someday" to "must go ASAP."

Some issues with date accuracy, however. The OG Space Mountain ride track did not run from 77-01 and the current score did not start in 2001, as one example.

Last edited:

Curious Constance

SDMT looks beautiful from the outside throughout Fantasyland but in my opinion the real problem is that it got budget cut multiple times so it’s a pretty short ride. And the swinging cars arguably make it less thrilling.
They thought that renaming it Prince Charming’s Carousel would appeal more to males? 🤣

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom