News Walt Disney World's COVID-19 reopening plans announced - July 11

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You're assumption is daring because it assumes that there is no second wave or resurgence in infections. New York could come out of being a hot-spot now, only to become one again later.
Here’s the thing...and I said this 6 weeks ago when they were really in the frontlines:

New York (and New Jersey...who I’ll give begrudging credit too as well)...had this dropped in their lap while nobody in charge could figure out what they were even dealing with...

...and they have kicked its up and down the street as much as possible.

They are simply doing a tireless, comprehensive job. Others would crumble under far less pressure.

Warriors...time and again. Knock them if you want...but you’d be a backwards fool to doubt them.

Last edited:

Seanual757

Those that are still planning on going in July....
How do you justify paying thousands of dollars for roughly 60% of the “normal” Disney experience? I’m genuinely curious to see some replies.

We are local so we have zero transportation costs except a 20 mile drive, 2 tolls, and gas. We are DVC our contracts are paid off, our annual dues are covered by our Disney Chase card. Our summer trips we swim at the pools and shop at the springs so we are ok with this. As time goes on things will relax. Masks not sure about those I have a feeling they are here to stay for the rest of the year.

ImperfectPixie

Here’s the thing...and I said this 6 weeks ago when they were really in the frontlines:

New York (and New Jersey...who I’ll give begrudging credit too as well)...had this dropped in their lap while nobody in charge could figure out what they were even dealing with...

...and they have kicked its **** up and down the street as much as possible.

They are simply doing a tireless, comprehensive job. Others wouldn’t crumble under far less pressure.

Warriors...time and again. Knock them if you want...but you’d be a backwards fool to doubt them.
I only mentioned NY specifically because the poster I was responding to did. What I said really applies to anywhere.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I only mentioned NY specifically because the poster I was responding to did. What I said really applies to anywhere.
I know...

I just used the mention to remind the backwards thinkers of who the marines were that stormed the beachhead on this.

Specially Washington, New York and New Jersey.

The “swinging gate” like the 20th Maine on 7/3/1863. Push it back...sweep it down the hill.

Miss Bella

Those that are still planning on going in July....
How do you justify paying thousands of dollars for roughly 60% of the “normal” Disney experience? I’m genuinely curious to see some replies.
Disney is not my only vacation destination. It’s low down on the list. I have non refundable tickets I need to use and I have bigger plans for next year.

It’s a vacation and well make the best of it mask and all. There’s not a lot of options this year anyway.

Rich Brownn

The goalposts have now been set. After weeks of speculation in communities like this, and week by week cancellations by Disney themselves, we have a mark in the sand. I have no problem with what Disney is doing and how they are doing it. And this information does not change my opinion on my September trip. At 8:00 am this morning it was wait and see, and as I type this at 12:30 pm, it is still wait and see.

I don't get what the kerfuffle is over mandatory masks. The policy is in place to protect Disney's keister in case someone goes to WDW, doesn't wear a mask, and somehow over the course of their trip contracts the virus. Not sure of the legal term, but it's the same one that has that stupid "don't use a hair dryer in a full bathtub" and "this bag is not a toy" warnings. I am sure Disney will try to enforce it in certain circumstances, but yeah, with thousands of people spread out over a large area, impossible to strictly enforce. And of course, it's a viral video waiting to happen. You don't want to wear a mask, take it off as soon as you pass under the train station after gaining entry.

My whole mask attitude is what makes me comfortable. As of right now, I am pro-mask. I am all about decreasing odds of something bad happening. If wearing a mask lowers my odds even a half percent, and better yet, makes me feel better, then why not? You don't want to wear one? Fine. Just don't get miffed if I move away from you.

As for social distancing on Main St, everything I have seen in regards to this is social distancing really comes into play if you are going to be close to someone for an extended period of time. Parades and fireworks? You will be standing cheek and jowl with others for at least 20-30 minutes, maybe more. Walking down Main St? Not even a second. While it would be nice to maintain distances, common courtesy (which I know not everyone who goes to WDW has) dictates giving as much space as possible when you can.

104 days until my trip. As of right now, I am still going. And TBH, I don't know what my requirements would be for a no-go decision. It all depends on how I feel in 97 days (or whenever I can cancel and get full refund).

(FWIW - I was one of the 287 who picked July. yay me!! :rolleyes:)
The problem with the "if you don't want to wear a mask" attitude is fine if it was to prevent yourself from getting sick, but it isn't. The reason to wear a mask to protect others from you in case you're infected and don't know it. Since the virus is more infectious before showing symptoms -- and it only works if everyone is wearing a mask. If the number of new cases skyrocket and especially if its traced back to theme parks, they will be closed again. And probably until there's a vaccine.

Wear the mask. or stay home.

AugieMorosco

So our existing resort reservations starts July 10th for 8 nights. Anybody have a guess how they might handle that? Will they cancel the entire reservation or give me the chance to modify and come in on the 11th? I wonder if the reservation system will reduce the guest number such that fastpasses will not be necessary. The phased opening has really screwed with the days that we would be in which parks so we will have to change our plan and therefore fastpasses and dining reservations. The wait time to Disney reservations is currently about 2 hours.
I'm in a similar, yet decidedly worse situation. We have July 6-16 booked. I realize there's no longer any chance this trip happens. Hoping we at least get some kind of recovery offer, though I doubt it. There have been so many cancelations and its not Disney's fault. They can't offer everything to everyone.

On a side note, I wonder if the 11th has anything to do with the free dining offer that was for stays through... the 9th? I can't remember the date they ended, but it was somewhere around 7/9. It would have further complicated things to have free dining guests. That's assuming resorts are open at all by then.

Prince Thomas

Btw I had a friend leave NY a few weeks ago and flew down to Ft. Lauderdale. No prob getting in and no prob getting back home. At all. Was only there for a few days. So even with the travel restrictions in place for the tri state, they are not being enforced.

Gravydeen

There will be reduced capacity on rides and restaurants too if they have any intention of doing what they’re saying.

It’s an easy 40% reduction if there are no hotel reductions...more if there are.
I guess we really don't know how to reconcile the ride capacity reductions verses lower crowds due to park reservations. The problem is since we are going the first week they open we will not know until we get there. Big gamble.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Disney is not my only vacation destination. It’s low down on the list. I have non refundable tickets I need to use and I have bigger plans for next year.

It’s a vacation and well make the best of it mask and all. There’s not a lot of options this year anyway.
Yeah...I have more interesting stuff next year...I was going to “squeeze” in an AP this year...

Just can’t see the benefit/value in it now...even though I’m sure stir crazy enough to travel and that will get worse.

I actually think cruiseships are more appealing...even with their “issues”

Last edited:

rowrbazzle

What else is new! I was all ready to post a slew of bookmarked posts today from the past few months but have been told repeatedly why that would be rude of me. So, I figure, what else is new. If anything, my neighbors have been spared yet again my nude running through the neighborhood singing "Rocketman".

Haha What was your prediction? I thought you said they weren't opening until December, but it's hard to keep up. Regardless, I'm happy for your neighbors.

I thought June. Looks like I was off, but I was close! I'd have a chance of winning on Price is Right depending on who I was up against. 😄

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I guess we really don't know how to reconcile the ride capacity reductions verses lower crowds due to park reservations. The problem is since we are going the first week they open we will not know until we get there. Big gamble.
They’re not gonna run parks with walkons...they eliminated that on purpose for the last 20 years.

The only way that’s happens is if there hardly zero demand...which means empty hotel rooms and massive Promos.

And if that happens...hours will be slashed and they’ll shoehorn who’s there in to getter better return on their operating costs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom