Universal Puts Disney's Reopening on Defensive

flutas

Truth be known, they were starting to plan before they closed.

I heard the same from TDA, that they knew they were closing that week, they were just taking some time to plan and figure out staff pay and other issues before announcing it.

Granted I heard this through the grapevine in a "from a friend of a friend" kinda situation.

I will say, whatever product manager that introduced the idea of virtual attraction preview walls (coming soon™️) must be looking for their raise right about now as it would clear up one choke point for DLR right now.

ImperfectPixie

Regarding the masks, why doesn't Disney just recommend them instead of requiring them, and make guests sign a waiver before entering? The curve has been flattened so I don't really understand why they need to be mandatory for guests who don't want to wear one.
Since you've asked me to stay...

I think the issue with masks is that health organizations in the beginning issued confusing advice on masks (likely to protect masks from panic buying). That resulted in undue skepticism that wouldn't have been there if everyone had been honest from the beginning. Masks have always been effective barriers for viral transmission with variable efficiency. For what it's worth, when I'm out and about in an open state, my experience is that 80% of people are wearing a mask and socially distancing. I would imagine education and socioeconomic status have some correlation, as well as age and proclivity for risk aversion.
The CDC should have been using their later message about face-coverings from the start - we'd be seeing much better compliance if they had and that was 100% a failure on their part.

The reason it shouldn't just be a recommendation is because masks require a large majority of people using them for them to be effective at reducing spread. Combine face-covering with social distancing, and spread is DRAMATICALLY reduced. That there are governors not willing to make face-coverings mandated is shocking and disappointing...because even if an area has seen low confirmed cases, the virus is still there and active, and they are likely to see a bad second wave of cases as things re-open if no one is taking precautions.

@WDW Pro I literally just mentioned socio-economic, educational, and core-belief system factors contributing to safety recommendation compliance on another thread. Just in the town I live in, there are extreme differences depending upon where you go. Walmart = absolute disaster/Stop & Shop = STELLAR and what the goal should be everywhere.

SourcererMark79

In the Parks
No
Regarding the masks, why doesn't Disney just recommend them instead of requiring them, and make guests sign a waiver before entering? The curve has been flattened so I don't really understand why they need to be mandatory for guests who don't want to wear one.
No waiver is necessary, just squeeze it somewhere in the 389 page ticket policy terms and conditions.

Tavernacle12

The curve being flattened is because people wear masks, social distance, work from home, etc. Not requiring them because the curve is flat is like building houses with asbestos again because everyone who got asbestos poisoning before is out of the hospital. Until we get contact tracing and testing that can guarantee people are not infected, masks are a needed.

Also, people without a mask signing a waiver does not protect any of the people who wear a mask from them.

TrojanUSC

Since you've asked me to stay...

I think the issue with masks is that health organizations in the beginning issued confusing advice on masks (likely to protect masks from panic buying). That resulted in undue skepticism that wouldn't have been there if everyone had been honest from the beginning. Masks have always been effective barriers for viral transmission with variable efficiency. For what it's worth, when I'm out and about in an open state, my experience is that 80% of people are wearing a mask and socially distancing. I would imagine education and socioeconomic status have some correlation, as well as age and proclivity for risk aversion.

The biggest thing with mask messaging is the science and data have pointed to a very different route of transmission. Panic buying was certainly a concern but originally it was believed that only symptomatic people who were coughing/sneezing could spread this. However with time it became very clear that asymptomatic people were spreading it by just talking/breathing, which changed whole game in terms of when they should be worn.

2600loop

Thus far Florida, Texas, Tennessee, and Colorado have been models for reopening with dense population centers. I'd imagine Florida will continue to do an excellent job and will advise theme parks in a way that prevents outbreaks. If WDW were in New York or New Jersey, then it would be a drastically different scenario.
I don’t see how Florida could be considered a good model with the reported case numbers spiking since the reopening and trending upwards while NewYorks cases seem to trending down steadily.

SourcererMark79

In the Parks
No
I don’t see how Florida could be considered a good model with the reported case numbers spiking since the reopening and trending upwards while NewYorks cases seem to trending down steadily.
Give us a little bit of credit here, it's only been a week since major concessions were made. The dam hasn't broke...yet

mwf5555

I suspect Universal will bring back all their full time employees. Doubt they want to continue paying 80% of their salaries to stay home. In fact, I suspect that's part of the reason UO was so desperate to open up immediately.
I wonder why UO decided not to furlough and continue to pay 80% versus unemployment benefits by the state?

SourcererMark79

In the Parks
No
How about this:

When out in public you should assume you have Covid but are asymptomatic. You should take all reasonable precautions to protect people you come in contact with.
Time will tell with Uni, we should have a much clearer picture of things by then.

Disney has to strike a balance between what they can reasonably enforce, and what the average guest expects them to do. Not easy, to be a fly on that wall.

WDW Pro

Original Poster

Florida took in cruise ships, remained relatively open, and has had nothing... nothing remotely similar to New York. Deaths in New York nursing homes alone are higher than all of Florida. And the "spikes" have all been from really morbid doomwishers that haven't seen anything materialized.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Much less employees to pay compared to WDW. And they did furlough their part timers.
Also, The percentage of Comcast employees who work at the parks is very small compared to the percent of TWDC employees who work at WDW/DLR

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom