Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

October82

then someone should ask Dr Birx about this because she was specifically talking about it today. This is her and their intention right now. May want to find the video today and give it a peak. Maybe I missed some details.

Not doubting that what you're saying is an accurate reflection of what was said or is planned. This point isn't an esoteric one - anyone with experience modeling any sort of exponential growth (let alone a public health expert) is well aware of it. It's just a much more difficult policy option and, I'm guessing, motivated by our inability to scale up widespread testing to the required levels.

Miss Bella

The app was released already the problem is over 60% of people say they won’t use it. 40% is better than nothing I guess but it won’t really work with that low a number.

I wouldn’t use it.

ImperfectPixie

The app was released already the problem is over 60% of people say they won’t use it. 40% is better than nothing I guess but it won’t really work with that low a number.

That's a HUGE shame. I've been a fan of Apple since the 90s and have had literally zero issues with them.

October82

Why would I is the question?

So you would know if you have been exposed and act to mitigate the risk of infection to those around you.

I can understand having privacy concerns, but if there is no risk to your privacy (possibly a big if), I'm not sure why you would avoid having more information about the health risks you and those around you face. I'd like to better understand what concerns you have because I imagine a lot of people share them, and contact tracing apps (or, one might add, much more invasive in person contact tracing) are likely to be a major part of how we are able to return all of our lives back to the way they were.

Miss Bella

So you would know if you have been exposed and act to mitigate the risk of infection to those around you.

I can understand having privacy concerns, but if there is no risk to your privacy (possibly a big if), I'm not sure why you would avoid having more information about the health risks you and those around you face. I'd like to better understand what concerns you have because I imagine a lot of people share them, and contact tracing apps (or, one might add, much more invasive in person contact tracing) are likely to be a major part of how we are able to return all of our lives back to the way they were.
I work in a hospital I’m exposed all the time. I don’t for one minute believe there is no risk to privacy. I’ll take a hard pass. I also don’t believe we need that for lives to return to normal.

October82

I work in a hospital I’m exposed all the time.

Then you have my sincerest best wishes on your health.

I don’t for one minute believe there is no risk to privacy. I’ll take a hard pass.

Which is why it is important to talk about how this technology works so that you can understand the risks to your privacy, whatever they may or may not be, rather than simply rejecting what is a powerful and needed tool for saving lives and restoring our economy. I'd really like to understand where you're coming from about it.

And I honestly don't understand your position except to say that if I wasn't familiar with how these technologies work, I might have the same concerns that you do. It's not an issue of believing that there are no privacy risks for me, its an issue of understanding that the privacy risks are much more minimal with something like a contact tracing app than basically any other piece of software on a smartphone. I guess that's another conversation.

I also don’t believe we need that for lives to return to normal.

We absolutely need contact tracing. I don't know of any public health expert who would dispute that. The question is what form it takes - either in person contact tracing which is expensive and invasive, or a hybrid of in person contact tracing and software/technological solutions that have fewer privacy risks.

lazyboy97o

It is still happening. Only part of the framework has been deployed publicly in like the last week or so (I’m on the Public Beta so I’ve had iOS 13.5 for a bit longer). Now health departments are able to actually develop the apps but the real functionality is still forthcoming in a future OS update.

I work in a hospital I’m exposed all the time. I don’t for one minute believe there is no risk to privacy. I’ll take a hard pass. I also don’t believe we need that for lives to return to normal.
Do you know how it works?

Flugell

Why would I is the question?
1. Perhaps to help speed up WDW opening safely and quickly.
2. To allow you to understand more clearly the risk to your health.
3. To help you to protect your family and friends.
4. As an altruistic gesture to help strangers and businesses as well as vulnerable people.
5. To prove that an app like this is unnecessary/necessary.
6. To prove that there is not as much threat from Covoid19 as people are being told.

I appreciate that you have no great interest in 2,3 & 4 but perhaps you haven’t considered 1, 5 & 6.
I have to agree that personal data collection is a concern- I won’t even do internet or mobile banking- or Facebook or Twitter etc. but if they guarantee that it will not happen then I can take legal action if it does. Anyway if anyone did get my details I suspect they’d die of boredom as I have nothing to hide

lazyboy97o

I have to agree that personal data collection is a concern- I won’t even do internet or mobile banking- or Facebook or Twitter etc. but if they guarantee that it will not happen then I can take legal action if it does. Anyway if anyone did get my details I suspect they’d die of boredom as I have nothing to hide
What personal data is being collected? It’s not even based on your location and there is no centralized database.

Flugell

What personal data is being collected? It’s not even based on your location and there is no centralized database.
I don’t believe that data is being collected. I was merely pointing out the advantages and saying that IF data was collected against the promise of it not being, there were still options to explore. Personally I feel it is far too important for personal data collection to be “sneaked” in as this would rightly cause more people to question whether to use it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
20 years or so of neglect would be a reason....

Even so, some states are doing extremely well in this area and can teach the others a thing or two.
For the sake of discussion: which states?
I wouldn't so much call it neglect as increasing profitability at the cost of preparedness.
Uh huh
ehh. Call it what you want. It happened. But this really isn’t the proper forum to discuss. Probably shouldn’t have brought it up.
Was it “too soon”?
Or “too real”?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom