Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
In my area, the local hardware store was selling N95 masks 2-3 weeks ago.
I ordered mine from Amazon...they are coming from Wuhan China.;)

Just a joke, but only half kidding, I did order some cheapy disposable masks from Amazon (not N95) and they were shipped from somewhere in China. The joke works better if you say Wuhan;)

TrojanUSC

I think everyone has forgotten what the nationwide shutdown was for. It was to flatten the curve so that the hospitals would not be overburdened. The nationwide shutdown was NOT to eradicate COVID. During the shutdown we did great things like flatten the curve, manufactured tons of PPE and respirators and learned about COVID.

The curve is Flattened. We have enough PPE and respirators for WHEN the spike happens. This time we will be ready, we know what to do now! No subsequent shutdown needed! Who knows, we could have a vaccine before the spike and there will be no spike.

OPEN NOW

Sorry but that is just not true. It's revisionist history. The goal was to flatten the curve, but in doing that it would allow us time to both beef up hospital capacity, which has been done in some areas, along with implementing a strong test-and-trace program, to help stop the spread once an outbreak occurs. It was also to allow time for a therapeutic to be developed. These last two points are pretty much absent in most states.

If we "OPEN NOW," as you say, without there is nothing stopping hundreds of thousands of people dying, hospitals to become overwhelmed (PPE is great for healthcare workers but doesn't change community spread) and everything from having to shut back down.

Disstevefan1

Sorry but that is just not true. It's revisionist history. The goal was to flatten the curve, but in doing that it would allow us time to both beef up hospital capacity, which has been done in some areas, along with implementing a strong test-and-trace program, to help stop the spread once an outbreak occurs. It was also to allow time for a therapeutic to be developed. These last two points are pretty much absent in most states.

If we "OPEN NOW," as you say, without there is nothing stopping hundreds of thousands of people dying, hospitals to become overwhelmed (PPE is great for healthcare workers but doesn't change community spread) and everything from having to shut back down.

You bring up some good points.

How long would you extend the nation wide shutdown?

I presume until a nationwide test-and-trace program is established and a therapeutic exists?

I wonder how long it would take to get these both done?

ImperfectPixie

You bring up some good points.

How long would you extend the nation wide shutdown?

I presume until a nationwide test-and-trace program is established and a therapeutic exists?

I wonder how long it would take to get these both done?
It should have already been done...but our agencies and government can't seem to get their act together and coordinate efforts. I'm all about being extraordinarily cautious during re-opening...my biggest concern is that the general public is 1) extremely divided about the safety precautions, and 2) impatient - we're already seeing people blow off the precautions just because they're sick of them. I don't think we need to stay closed forever, but I really think the behavior of such a large number of people in the general public is putting us very much at risk for a terrible second wave.

DisneyDoug85

In my area, the local hardware store was selling N95 masks 2-3 weeks ago.

I saw a gas station near me that had some...doesn’t change the fact that hospitals, where they’re needed most, don’t have what they need. In Philly they’re handing out 1 K-N95 (cheaply made, doesn’t work as well) per 12 hour shift, despite a recommended 4-6 hour usage time for REAL N95s.

Disstevefan1

It should have already been done...but our agencies and government can't seem to get their act together and coordinate efforts. I'm all about being extraordinarily cautious during re-opening...my biggest concern is that the general public is 1) extremely divided about the safety precautions, and 2) impatient - we're already seeing people blow off the precautions just because they're sick of them. I don't think we need to stay closed forever, but I really think the behavior of such a large number of people in the general public is putting us very much at risk for a terrible second wave.

Granted not an easy question to answer by anyone, but my question still stands. How long would you extend the nation wide shutdown? There are no easy answers here.

jaklgreen

I can it’s unnecessary and it doesn’t guarantee you won’t get the strain they are shooting for that year. I don’t usually get the flu shot and funny thing is the only time I did guess who got the flu!! So I will roll the dice!

This is true with the woman in my family. The ONLY time that any of us have become sick with the flu was within a day or two of getting the flu shot. My grandma, my mom, my sister, etc are all affected this way. The doctor confirmed that with some people it happens like that. When my sister worked at a hospital and they forced her to get the flu shot, she got sick every year. Since she has left that job and does not get the shot, she has not had the flu since, and it has been years.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Granted not an easy question to answer by anyone, but my question still stands. How long would you extend the nation wide shutdown? There are no easy answers here.

It's not a date. It's when other pieces are completed. Putting in place sufficient testing and contact tracing should've been done by now. You want to be upset with someone, then be upset with politicians that have dropped the ball on this. There's no reason why 10+ weeks later we don't have sufficient testing (with full on transparency) and contact tracing in place. Then we could reopen today and call it a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom