Universal Puts Disney's Reopening on Defensive

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Here’s the only thing that I can believe at this point. Disney was totally unprepared for USO to do what they did and on the level they are conducting their reopening.

At this point I don’t think any insider has accurate information about what the plan is because everything they’ve found out to date is now out of date or irrelevant to the current situation.

I can guarantee that it’s going to be a long holiday weekend in Burbank and at TDO.

Also waiting for the clownfish doom and gloomers to pick this up....ha ha ha...

WDW Pro

Original Poster
I suspect Universal will bring back all their full time employees. Doubt they want to continue paying 80% of their salaries to stay home. In fact, I suspect that's part of the reason UO was so desperate to open up immediately.

Careful. You'll soon be told you're 100% wrong and framing something. This is followed by more unsubstantiated accusations and temporary amnesia about the quote function.

NoBreyner60

After a month's worth of reopening disappointment the first thing I thought when I heard the Orange County mayor saying he expects Disney's plan next week was "Allegedly expected to release a plan". I don't recall hearing Disney say that Disney Springs was reopening. I heard that first from a union leader.

rowrbazzle

I suspect Universal will bring back all their full time employees. Doubt they want to continue paying 80% of their salaries to stay home. In fact, I suspect that's part of the reason UO was so desperate to open up immediately.

Why did they do it in the first place then? Are they known for treating their employees better than Disney does or something? I don't follow that stuff closely.

Getachew

Why did they do it in the first place then? Are they known for treating their employees better than Disney does or something? I don't follow that stuff closely.

I have no idea in that regard. I suspect it's because Universal is much smaller and thus has much less full timers to pay compared to WDW. They did furlough their part timers on May 3rd though, and I know a part timer who works in City Walk who has yet to be called back to work yet.

Jrb1979

After a month's worth of reopening disappointment the first thing I thought when I heard the Orange County mayor saying he expects Disney's plan next week was "Allegedly expected to release a plan". I don't recall hearing Disney say that Disney Springs was reopening. I heard that first from a union leader.
Most of Disney's news during this whole thing has all been second hand. I just have to ask what happened to Disney being ahead of the curve that the governor said.

NoBreyner60

Most of Disney's news during this whole thing has all been second hand. I just have to ask what happened to Disney being ahead of the curve that the governor said.
When the Governor said that "Disney was ahead of the curve". That was about the time I was doubting anything I heard about second-hand information. I couldn't imagine how a company that was shut down for two months was ahead of anything.

Mouse Trap

When the Governor said that "Disney was ahead of the curve". That was about the time I was doubting anything I heard about second-hand information. I couldn't imagine how a company that was shut down for two months was ahead of anything.

Technically they were ahead of the curve because they were already deep into getting ready for Shanghai to reopen when Gov DeSantis made that claim. But I see what you’re saying.

Shawn Miller

I took it as Disney was already well into the planning stages of how to they would handle cleaning and social distancing for when they would eventually reopen. And honestly, from day 1 I would imagine that Disney would have put together a group of people to start planning even with no set date. I figure that is all that meant. It's easy to be "Far ahead of the curve" when no one else is really planning. Of course could all be BS from the Governor because.... politicians. ;)

rowrbazzle

I have no idea in that regard. I suspect it's because Universal is much smaller and thus has much less full timers to pay compared to WDW. They did furlough their part timers on May 3rd though, and I know a part timer who works in City Walk who has yet to be called back to work yet.

The smaller number of employees makes sense. I'd read on here somewhere that Comcast was less concerned about their finances because of varied revenue streams. Maybe that played a part. But if that's true, then I would think they would also be less desperate to reopen. Or if they were concerned about finances, then why pay 80% instead of doing the same as Disney? I can't really make sense of it.

For what it's worth (nothing), I figured they were opening before Disney because they're #2 and opening first is an advantage in closing the gap even just a little.

Getachew

The smaller number of employees makes sense. I'd read on here somewhere that Comcast was less concerned about their finances because of varied revenue streams. Maybe that played a part. But if that's true, then I would think they would also be less desperate to reopen. Or if they were concerned about finances, then why pay 80% instead of doing the same as Disney? I can't really make sense of it.

For what it's worth (nothing), I figured they were opening before Disney because they're #2 and opening first is an advantage in closing the gap even just a little.

I always felt WDW was generally better off financially than UO and thus could wither the storm a bit longer, but maybe I'm wrong. Maybe the NBA talks is also another reason we haven't heard anything yet. Mayor Demmings seems to think we may hear something next week, so we'll see I guess.

Jrb1979

I always felt WDW was generally better off financially than UO and thus could wither the storm a bit longer, but maybe I'm wrong. Maybe the NBA talks is also another reason we haven't heard anything yet. Mayor Demmings seems to think we may hear something next week, so we'll see I guess.
I don't know but I do that Disney stopped pretty all construction during the shutdown while Universal has been working on the Jurassic Park coaster the whole time

TrainsOfDisney

What, so they can lose millions of dollars every day they’re open?

Exactly. The shareholders should be thanking the Bob’s for taking things slow and making sure the next move is in the best interest of the company.

At this point I don’t think any insider has accurate information about what the plan is because everything they’ve found out to date is now out of date or irrelevant to the current situation.

Yes. I’m getting tired of some of the “insiders” on here making know it all remarks. The real realbobchapek could post and people would say he didn’t know what he was talking about.

As someone who is receiving UI benefits, albeit in GA, the work search requirements are waived currently.

Same for me in my state. The requirement for me is that I am keeping up with my industries trends online or by phone. Which I am.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom