So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 18 HYPE THREAD!

NateD1226

NigelChanning

Well you are in luck. Announced last Wednesday:

Finally a remake that we’ve been asking for. As for the others, Lilo and Stitch, Hunchback, and Peter Pan seem promising. And let’s hope the Russo Brothers don’t turn Hercules into an “accurate re-telling” like Mulan

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Finally a remake that we’ve been asking for. As for the others, Lilo and Stitch, Hunchback, and Peter Pan seem promising. And let’s hope the Russo Brothers don’t turn Hercules into an “accurate re-telling” like Mulan
In theory, I actually prefer the approach Mulan is taking. We have the animated version, we don't need it done again but worse like Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, Aladdin, Lion King, etc.

In application, I think Mulan looks really boring and uninteresting.

NigelChanning

In theory, I actually prefer the approach Mulan is taking. We have the animated version, we don't need it done again but worse like Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, Aladdin, Lion King, etc.

In application, I think Mulan looks really boring and uninteresting.
But what’s the point of re-telling a Disney movie if you’re just going to take all the Disney out of it. It might as well be historical fiction like Titanic

NateD1226

But what’s the point of re-telling a Disney movie if you’re just going to take all the Disney out of it.
This! That’s my main problem with the remakes. They feel underwhelming as some of them can’t fully grasp the amazing animation feel from the original. If they want to do a live action movie, they should do prequels, sequels, and original ideas like Cruella, Maleficent, Mary Poppins/Returns, etc. Those are for more interesting than just watching some of your childhood favorites get ruined like Aladdin, The Lion King, etc.

Tux

This! That’s my main problem with the remakes. They feel underwhelming as some of them can’t fully grasp the amazing animation feel from the original. If they want to do a live action movie, they should do prequels, sequels, and original ideas like Cruella, Maleficent, Mary Poppins/Returns, etc. Those are for more interesting than just watching some of your childhood favorites get ruined like Aladdin, The Lion King, etc.

The remake era of Disney in general is such a shame because it had potential as an opportunity to perhaps flesh out the universes of the movies and create a better, more successful version of sequel era, but alas history rhymes and it's basically the same thing but at least the sequels tried to tell you a new story even if that new story is generally not very well thought out and overall very cruddy. It could have easily been a new renaissance age of the Walt Disney Company that still manages to be original, and has writing on par with the classics, while still generally having easy financial support since brand recognition and nostalgia are kind of the main reason it seems these movies are rake in high box office numbers despite feeling like duller versions of the originals for the most part.

NigelChanning

It’s funny because it would seem absurd to re-tell a beloved live action film as an animated film.
6C5A76E5-DE34-493F-BC9B-D555B88855BC.jpeg

Outbound

The remake era of Disney in general is such a shame because it had potential as an opportunity to perhaps flesh out the universes of the movies and create a better, more successful version of sequel era, but alas history rhymes and it's basically the same thing but at least the sequels tried to tell you a new story even if that new story is generally not very well thought out and overall very cruddy. It could have easily been a new renaissance age of the Walt Disney Company that still manages to be original, and has writing on par with the classics, while still generally having easy financial support since brand recognition and nostalgia are kind of the main reason it seems these movies are rake in high box office numbers despite feeling like duller versions of the originals for the most part.

I actually kinda liked how Maleficent tried to do this. Key word being tried, but the possibility of, if at the very least we can’t have new stories, using the established worlds to tell interesting prequels / sequels/ side povs that end up enhancing both movies.

NigelChanning

I actually kinda liked how Maleficent tried to do this. Key word being tried, but the possibility of, if at the very least we can’t have new stories, using the established worlds to tell interesting prequels / sequels/ side povs that end up enhancing both movies.
Agree. Maleficent tried to do something different and I can’t blame them. I also need to give credit to other movies like Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland that tried to be unique but arguably failed.

spacemt354

Chili's
Global box office had a lot to do with it. For instance The Lion King made approx 30 million more domestically vs Rise of Skywalker, but its total approx 600 million more.

All these live action remakes were as safe as possible which I think were a waste of a ticket. I can just watch the originals

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Maleficent was like Wicked, except it missed the point that Wicked could at least 90% fit into established canon just showing an entirely new angle of it. Still a cool movie though, I just wish the act 3 would tie in better with how the original story went. But they wanted Maleficent to be the hero. No gray area. Not anti-hero. Just a hero.

Tux

True, at least Maleficent tried to be original in what it was doing and tried to present a new, interesting angle, which is more than some remakes like The Lion King, Dumbo, and Beauty And The Beast can say. They tried to make something good, and while I do agree it could have been better written, they did give it their all. I think the movie is decent overall, I mean I enjoyed watching it, and while I did have some problems, it didn't make feel like my time was wasted at least nor did I feel bored watching it.

Global box office had a lot to do with it. For instance The Lion King made approx 30 million more domestically vs Rise of Skywalker, but its total approx 600 million more.

All these live action remakes were as safe as possible which I think were a waste of a ticket. I can just watch the originals

Yeah, they just end up making more and more of them because management knows that they don't need to put effort into their movies to make money, which is a shame because until the trend finally kneels over and dies, Disney's own studios are likely not going to stop making the 'copy and paste' remakes until they run out of content. Though at least the other divisions still make original works, and Frozen 2 happened, which at least shows that the company didn't completely forget about the animation industry altogether and it's high box office score does give me hope that they'll make more animated movies. Yes, even if they are all just sequels, it's still an improvement over just replicating the same movies over and over again.

NigelChanning

QotD: What is the best Disney animated show? Phineas and Ferb? Gravity Falls? DuckTales? Indulge me.
If your looking for a fun show that doesn’t take itself too seriously, Phineas and Ferb. If your looking for a continuous storyline and darker themes, Gravity Falls is the best. I personally prefer Gravity Falls but I will always love Phineas and Ferb.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom