So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 18 HYPE THREAD!

PerGron

QotD: This week is all about elevators so let's talk about the top floor.
latest

You have to get rid of one. Which one do you take out?

Not to bandwagon or anything, but bye Little Mermaid. It was clearly a great start to the renaissance, but it definitely wasn’t the best, and up against these four, it’s the weakest in my opinion. The songs are great and Jodi Benson is a phenomenal singer/voice actor, but the story isn’t the best and I don’t really like Ariel as a character, she’s just kind of a spoiled brat.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
I'm going to play the sci-fi "what if" game here and say Aladdin. Oddly it might be my favorite of the four, but the major ripple effect if it never existed is that Robin Williams Genie never becomes a pop culture icon and thus the need to fill animated films with celebrity voice actors never comes up or at least slows down. I love Robin Williams but the man has more than enough of a legacy without the Genie and I'd be very interested to see the scenario of no demand for celebrity voices.

Suchomimus

The Lion King has one of the greatest opening sequences of all time followed by an underwhelming Hamlet retelling with one of the most unintentionally unlikable protagonists of any Disney film.
-Guy who had only read Hamlet once for English in his junior year of high school.
As for being "unintentionally unlikable", you're saying that Simba; throughout the movie; remains a spoiled brat who takes no responsibility whatsoever? That is unless you never watched the full movie.

Suchomimus

That's what I think too. The music is pretty much the only good part and not even all the songs from the film are decent. It's just a girl having daddy issues and wanting to get a man lol.
Not to bandwagon or anything, but bye Little Mermaid. It was clearly a great start to the renaissance, but it definitely wasn’t the best, and up against these four, it’s the weakest in my opinion. The songs are great and Jodi Benson is a phenomenal singer/voice actor, but the story isn’t the best and I don’t really like Ariel as a character, she’s just kind of a spoiled brat.
At least it didn't adapt that ending or the pain she endured from her new legs and feet.

EmFromPlanetEarth

Weekly Challenge Four: Going Up, Sir
View attachment 470780
Ever since the Haunted Mansion stretch room set a gold standard for theme park pre-shows, elevators have been used to immerse guests in the story of attractions before they ever set foot on the ride vehicles. From the Hydrolators of The Living Seas to the utterly immersive trip down into the vaults of Gringott's, elevators have provided the theme park industry with some of its most memorable pre-show experiences. For this weekly challenge, you must design a pre-show for a new attraction that takes place on an elevator. Importantly, I want much of the detail of the write-up to be focused on the elevator itself. By all means set up what will happen before and after you get into the elevator, but the elevator should be the central focus of the write-up and your detail score will reflect that. This project is due Friday, May 22nd at 11:59PM Eastern/8:59PM Pacific.
Can it be a simulated elevator, like the hydrolator, or does it have to be an actual functioning elevator?

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Sorry for being gone the last few days. Loved the reviews and the podcast!
@Pi on my Cake
There’s a theory of communication called Expectancy Violation Theory.
I almost wrote about that and went waaayyy more technical with it but decided to keep it simpler . Glad we were on the same wave length though haha

Definitely sign me up! Can't wait!

Though I'm fin with the current start date and not moving it up. I don't want the hosts to feel rushed and it isn't a huge difference. Plus, these more casual practice prompts are fun!

Teaser: I'm gonna have an elevator in mine.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Weekly Challenge Four: Going Up, Sir
View attachment 470780
Ever since the Haunted Mansion stretch room set a gold standard for theme park pre-shows, elevators have been used to immerse guests in the story of attractions before they ever set foot on the ride vehicles. From the Hydrolators of The Living Seas to the utterly immersive trip down into the vaults of Gringott's, elevators have provided the theme park industry with some of its most memorable pre-show experiences. For this weekly challenge, you must design a pre-show for a new attraction that takes place on an elevator. Importantly, I want much of the detail of the write-up to be focused on the elevator itself. By all means set up what will happen before and after you get into the elevator, but the elevator should be the central focus of the write-up and your detail score will reflect that. This project is due Friday, May 22nd at 11:59PM Eastern/8:59PM Pacific.
Does this have to be a new ride in present day?

NateD1226

Brer Panther

So in other words...

WE GET TO GO UP STAIRS AND THEN DOWN STAIRS!!
I know this isn't what you were referencing, but this is what popped into my head when I read that...

Yet they still try. Look what was announced earlier:
Wow. I thought they considered Frozen "too sacred" to be remade in live action or something.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Can we talk about how Escape from Gringotts has you take an elevator and then makes you climb a flight of stairs? It bothers me and I want to bring attention to it (this may or may not also be the inspiration for my project.)
Few things in any theme park bothers me as much as this! Why have a fake elevator followed by real stairs? It doesn't help that the bouncing, while a cool effect, is literally the only thing at Universal that gives me motion sickness.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom