Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom P.

I realize that, You just expounded on the point I was trying to make. Everything would have to go perfectly for this to happen. Also, just because a vaccine exists, doesn’t mean you’ll be able to get it. Oxford is in England, the UK will get it first, given our special relationship the US will get it soon after, but Healthcare Workers, the military, and government officials will get them first, followed by nursing home residents and other essential workers. The general public may be waiting a long time for their chance.
At the Rose Garden press conference today, the newly appointed head of the vaccine effort said that, while there is still a long way to go with human trials, the early clinical data he has seen makes him feel cautiously optimistic that the United States can have several hundred million doses of a vaccine available by the end of the year.

Now, there are lots of if's here, obviously. Human trials might just show that none of the three vaccines actually work like we thought. Or there might be unexpected side effects. We might end up back at square one. All of that is totally possible.

However, if a vaccine is found, I don't expect production and distribution to be the kind of long slog we are used to. They are getting the military involved already in the logistics of production. They are planning to take promising vaccine candidates and mass produce them before clinical trials are finished. I think once a vaccine is found, it will get to the public pretty darn quickly.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
The Defense Secretary of the United States of America promised and ensured that every American will be vaccinated this year. He said it today with the President. They are doing great

ESPER: "Winning matters and we will deliver by the end of this year a vaccine at scale."
If I had a dollar for everything a US Defense Secretary has said in the last 100 years that didn't turn out to be true I could retire. Both sides.

Polynesia

View attachment 470584

Only problem is that their numbers in FL have plateaued at 600-800 new cases/day, not gone down.
I think even that good news is based on the stay at home. Jumping to 50% is going to have an increase in new cases in 2-3 weeks, pushing it back to the 1200/day range.
Hopefully not, but from what I am seeing in the news, people are not good and following social distancing guidelines.
I was concerned about that, too. The reason they’ve gone up is due to prison outbreaks which are contained. Still very sad but relieved to hear what was going on. Sometimes an explanation needs to be given with the numbers. 😀

brianstl

At the Rose Garden press conference today, the newly appointed head of the vaccine effort said that, while there is still a long way to go with human trials, the early clinical data he has seen makes him feel cautiously optimistic that the United States can have several hundred million doses of a vaccine available by the end of the year.

Now, there are lots of if's here, obviously. Human trials might just show that none of the three vaccines actually work like we thought. Or there might be unexpected side effects. We might end up back at square one. All of that is totally possible.

However, if a vaccine is found, I don't expect production and distribution to be the kind of long slog we are used to. They are getting the military involved already in the logistics of production. They are planning to take promising vaccine candidates and mass produce them before clinical trials are finished. I think once a vaccine is found, it will get to the public pretty darn quickly.
Exactly, the plan is to start producing vaccines before they have been proven. We may very well may have several hundreds of millions of vaccines ready to be distributed by the end of the year. That doesn't mean we will be distributing them by the end of the year. Those doses may never be distributed because the vaccines will prove to not be effective or safe. The goal is to have enough ready to distribute as soon as any vaccine might be approved,

Last edited by a moderator:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Where are the phases actually listed? I'm only finding news reports and they are say different things. Large venues and sports areas at 50% but theme parks separate without a capacity given yet.

The Task Force gave *recommendations* to the governor. The governor then issued a Phase-1-lite order taking some of the recommendations for Phase 1 but not all.

Starting Monday, all of the Phase 1 recommendations will go into effect.

According to the Task Force, theme parks can't open until Phase II and should do so incrementally at first with restricted attendance. The governor didn't say when Phase II will begin, and he can do what he wants... the Task Force phases are just a recommendation.

See...

I interrupt the interminable debate on masks to be on topic. ;)

For WDW, what is important is its governing agencies: Florida and (mostly) Orange County.

Florida state had a task force called Reopen Florida Task Force which gave a *recommendation* to the governor for a three phase reopening.

Yesterday, on Wednesday, Gov. DeSantis promulgated his executive order taking advice from the Reopen Florida Task Force, but not following it completely. He was more strict than the Task Force recommended. He only outlined some specific items for his promulgated Governor's Phase I that begins on Monday, May 4. He didn't give a timeline for when Phase II would start (he couldn't since that depends on certain benchmarks being met). Nor did he say what his Phase II would look like (he doesn't have to follow Reopen Florida Task Force's recommendation).

Now, on the local level: Local jurisdictions can be more strict than the state's regulations. And so, for WDW, we need to see what Orange County's guidelines will be, which can indeed be more strict than the state's guidelines. There is a local task force called: Orange County Economic Recovery Task Force. The OCERTF has had public video meetings and we've heard *recommendations* from its members as to what their *recommendations* will be to Orange County officials. Which means everything you've seen reported about what they've been saying may not be in their final report. And the Orange County officials may make other decisions. So... we don't know what will come of the OCERTF yet. Their report of *recommendations* will come out tomorrow, Friday, May 1. Then Orange County officials will have to decide what they will allow to happen. They could theoretically keep everything in lockdown.

And WDW itself could be more restrictive than state or county. E.g., the governments are *recommending* employee screenings and masks. But the parks could, on their own, implement mandatory screening and masks for employees *and* guests.

I created a handy chart comparing the Governor's Phase I to the Reopen Florida Task Force's phases....

View attachment 467538

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Maybe we should focus on the positive instead of just being negative all the time? Maybe that would help a lot. Just a thought
Seriously, I’m with you. Let’s focus on the positive :) If that happens it’s a really big deal. I’m cautiously optimistic based more on what the researchers are saying vs the politicians, but it’s all good news so far.

Last edited by a moderator:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
This isn’t political youre 100% right it’s public health. Without the vaccine by the end of the year we would’ve been screwed, now everyone gets to breathe a huge sigh of relief. Vaccinations will begin as soon as September or October

Please cite your source with a link.

Because I'm pretty sure *you* aren't an expert in the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom