Would you visit Walt Disney World with these health-based operational restrictions in place?

Would you visit Walt Disney World with these health-based operational restrictions in place?

• Yes

Votes: 306 36.2%
  • No

Votes: 429 50.7%
  • Undecided

Votes: 111 13.1%

• Total voters

solidyne

Not what he was saying. Not at all.
I suppose. I've since added more detail to my post.

ETA: I've now deleted it altogether. Reading his post in conjunction with your prior post clarifies matters. My bad. What's more, I agree!

Last edited:

10Magic

I love Walt Disney World. Under virtually any circumstances, there is nowhere I’d rather be. But.... to me, for the foreseeable future, this seems like an extremely compromised experience. Wearing a mask in Florida in the July/August blazing sun and brutal humidity sounds awful. No fireworks, parades, character photo ops (or any photo ops with masks on!), reasonable concerns about getting sick despite the precautions....
All this and more leaves me wondering what kind of enjoyment there would be. Yes, MAYBE the reduced crowds and potentially shorter wait times would offset the negative, but for me, at least for a while, I’ll sadly wait on the sidelines.

JoeT63

I have what I'm guessing is a very unpopular opinion...and I confess that I haven't scoured all 475 posts to see if it's been shared, (tho the recent posts about "Covid-trash" get close). Sorry if this poor horse is getting beaten again.

The Shanghai model will not work in the US parks/resorts. Not a chance. Why not? Murkans. Stay-at-home orders are somehow considered an affront to our freedom. Heck, people are irate over being asked to wear a mask. Can you imagine them at, say, Epcot in August? Pay top dollar to get in, alcohol starts flowing, in the HEAT...tempers will flare and they'll quickly ignore the distancing rules. Heck, a security guard was shot and killed for asking someone to wear a mask. And just yesterday two idiots broke a Target employee's arm in L.A. for the same reason. I hate to imagine what the poor CM's will have to endure.

The Chinese, and frankly citizens of most other countries, believe in science and listen to the experts. And they have gladly fallen in line with doing what's best for public health. That's why so many other countries will be open before we are. Now, I doubt seriously that this message applies to those reading this thread. We're the researchers, the planners. We know the rules and details before we go. We make ADR's and FP rezzies and we are ready. But how many times have you watched others at the parks poring over their paper map as they decide what to do next. We bemusedly shake our heads and smile, right? It's not a big stretch to imagine many unprepared folks who get cranky about social distancing rules. Overlay the political climate and it'll be a disaster.

Soooooo......no, we won't be going until it's back to 'normal'.

debg32

I will definitely wait until things are back to normal. As a healthcare worker I would not feel safe. Wearing a mask right now for 8+ hours per day, plus having to wear going to the grocery store, etc. I cannot even imagine wearing it for 12-16 hours a day in the hot sun. I also don't believe people are going to adhere to the guidelines, especially those with uncontrollable children. It's bad enough in normal times. It is going to be a nightmare.

We would definitely go! We go around 2-3 times a year so what we have to do the first time is something we're willing to do. If certain rides are not open or restaurants, we'll know when we go back they more than likely will. It's being there... enjoying the surroundings .. it's THE happy place and if I need to wear a mask at first to be there... then I'll sport my minnie mouse mask.

Overturn13

I am preparing to cancel my late June trip, which I would have taken even if it had been resort only. I am writing letters to management as to why I am canceling, though I am sure the phrase "rat's behind" will be in their minds when they read it. I know it will not matter to their bottom line. A mask in the summer outdoors is a no for me. On a bus? Okay whatever. But I keep wondering why there were people in Disney and the parks far into March - and no masks, no outbreaks, no ill CM's, no large outbreaks...At any rate I have 6 more trips booked from Sept through April. Hate to miss one but breathing in CO2 all day in the broiling June heat isn't worth it to me. I am still traveling to Florida, but will be going to other places. It will be weird to skip Disney.

Parker in NYC

The one thing that I think people are not taking into account in a poll like this is that it most likely won't be your choice if you get to visit or not. Everyone with trips booked for this summer needs to realize that the model for Shanghai is one in where you need to book a separate park ticket for that day. That means the park tickets you perchance in advance that are linked to your MyDisneyExperience account will NOT get you into the park. You will need to login first thing in the morning when tickets go on sale and hope to score one. It will most likely be more difficult than getting a FastPass for flight of passage.

It'll be more difficult than getting a FastPass for Rise of the Resistance. Remember when people got sassy here when folks were complaining about not getting on that attraction? "You shouldn't plan a whole vacation around one ride!" What happens when people plan a whole vacation on getting into.... a park?

Hcalvert

It'll be more difficult than getting a FastPass for Rise of the Resistance. Remember when people got sassy here when folks were complaining about not getting on that attraction? "You shouldn't plan a whole vacation around one ride!" What happens when people plan a whole vacation on getting into.... a park?
Amongst all the health stuff, I am worried about that too. I am thinking Disney knows a lot about people in advance. They know when and where I booked FPs and where I booked dining reservations on any given day during my trip. They should make the dining reservations reduced capacity and I think they should say if you have an actual reservation in the park, then you should be guaranteed to get in and take those people into account. They could even go farther and say if you have a reservation after a certain time like 5pm, you cannot get into the park until 1-2 hours before and if you have a breakfast or lunch reservation, then you can enter in the AM. That would ensure that restaurants have business or people forfeit the $10/person no-show fee. People who don't make reservations would have to gamble whether or not they can get into their chosen park that day or reserve an "open" spot. I know people are going to have an exception to what I am thinking, but it is just an idea--that's all.

Have reservation for POR in December. By then, I hope they have proven that this will work and made modifications as necessary. With what we are doing today to try to keep healthy, I don't think any of this is unreasonable. Looking forward to my next trip. Now if I could just get the airlines to not try to rip me off so I can get there!

I would definitely not put myself or my family at risk for a theme park. There will be people visiting from different States and eventually from different parts of the World, all potentially carriers of Covid-19. There are tons of people who are asymptomatic so taking temperature will not be accurate. They can't even contain it in hospitals and long care centres where they use masks and protective equipment. Why on earth would people go to a place where you need to touch multiple surfaces, gather in tight spaces and wait in long lines for a five minute attraction. Seems ludicrous!

I love Disney World but not at the expense of my health or my family's health.

Jrb1979

I would definitely not put myself or my family at risk for a theme park. There will be people visiting from different States and eventually from different parts of the World, all potentially carriers of Covid-19. There are tons of people who are asymptomatic so taking temperature will not be accurate. They can't even contain it in hospitals and long care centres where they use masks and protective equipment. Why on earth would people go to a place where you need to touch multiple surfaces, gather in tight spaces and wait in long lines for a five minute attraction. Seems ludicrous!

I love Disney World but not at the expense of my health or my family's health.
I am with you there. IMO its too soon to rush to open theme parks.

natatomic

I have what I'm guessing is a very unpopular opinion...and I confess that I haven't scoured all 475 posts to see if it's been shared, (tho the recent posts about "Covid-trash" get close). Sorry if this poor horse is getting beaten again.

The Shanghai model will not work in the US parks/resorts. Not a chance. Why not? Murkans. Stay-at-home orders are somehow considered an affront to our freedom. Heck, people are irate over being asked to wear a mask. Can you imagine them at, say, Epcot in August? Pay top dollar to get in, alcohol starts flowing, in the HEAT...tempers will flare and they'll quickly ignore the distancing rules. Heck, a security guard was shot and killed for asking someone to wear a mask. And just yesterday two idiots broke a Target employee's arm in L.A. for the same reason. I hate to imagine what the poor CM's will have to endure.

The Chinese, and frankly citizens of most other countries, believe in science and listen to the experts. And they have gladly fallen in line with doing what's best for public health. That's why so many other countries will be open before we are. Now, I doubt seriously that this message applies to those reading this thread. We're the researchers, the planners. We know the rules and details before we go. We make ADR's and FP rezzies and we are ready. But how many times have you watched others at the parks poring over their paper map as they decide what to do next. We bemusedly shake our heads and smile, right? It's not a big stretch to imagine many unprepared folks who get cranky about social distancing rules. Overlay the political climate and it'll be a disaster.

Soooooo......no, we won't be going until it's back to 'normal'.

Good Lord, I am so sick of being labeled an anti-science ‘Murikan for not wanting to wear a mask. MOST people who don’t like masks don’t like them because they are NOT comfortable. They’re hot, they’re itchy, breathing isn’t as easy. And maybe it helps prevent others from catching our germs, but it makes the wearer more susceptible every time he fiddles with it and touched it (and NOT touching it is incredibly difficult given how uncomfortable it is). Not to mention probably 90% of people don’t wear, handle, or dispose of their masks correctly, making their effectiveness almost nonexistent. If you’re banking on not getting the virus due to others wearing them correctly, well, good luck with that.

Don’t get me wrong - if I go somewhere where it’s required, I wear it. Begrudgingly, but I wear it. That doesn’t mean I don’t pull it down for a few seconds here and there to get a brief moment of relief.

I also won’t go to Disney as a guest if there is a mask requirement in place. not because I’m boycotting or because I am “anti-science,” but I know, realistically, how miserable would be in the Florida heat and humidity for eight hours a day. I wouldn’t want to do it, nor do I think I could.

And I’m pretty sure all of the holier than thou people here claiming that they will gladly go to Disney and wear a mask all day in the heat because they are pro-science and better than those ignorant ‘Murikans will find themselves sneaking breaks from their masks when they can once they realize it’s NOT as easy as they think it will be.

Yes, I know there are some people who view the mask requirement as an infringement on their rights and blah blah blah, but that is a small, vocal minority. Can we stop lumping everyone who doesn’t salivate and/or virtue signal over wearing a mask in with that minority?

JoeT63

Good Lord, I am so sick of being labeled an anti-science ‘Murikan for not wanting to wear a mask. MOST people who don’t like masks don’t like them because they are NOT comfortable. They’re hot, they’re itchy, breathing isn’t as easy. And maybe it helps prevent others from catching our germs, but it makes the wearer more susceptible every time he fiddles with it and touched it (and NOT touching it is incredibly difficult given how uncomfortable it is).

Don’t get me wrong - if I go somewhere where it’s required, I wear it. Begrudgingly, but I wear it. That doesn’t mean I don’t pull it down for a few seconds here and there to get a brief moment of relief.

I also won’t go to Disney as a guest if there is a mask requirement in place. not because I’m boycotting or because I am “anti-science,” but I know, realistically, how miserable would be in the Florida heat and humidity for eight hours a day. I wouldn’t want to do it, nor do I think I could.

And I’m pretty sure all of the holier than thou people here claiming that they will gladly go to Disney and wear a mask all day in the heat because they are pro-science and better than those ignorant ‘Murikans will find themselves sneaking breaks from their masks when they can once they realize it’s NOT as easy as they think it will be.

Yes, I know there are some people who view the mask requirement as an infringement on their rights and blah blah blah, but that is a small, vocal minority. Can we stop lumping everyone who doesn’t salivate and/or virtue signal over wearing a mask in with that minority?
I didn't, and I never conflated people who don't like to wear a mask with those who refuse to. And certainly not with those who refuse to and then get violent about it. You are obviously not the type I was referring to. I can't stand wearing a mask, but like you...I do it on the rare occasions when I go out in public. If people can't go to a retail shop for an hour or less without resorting to violence, then how will those people act at a Disney park?

natatomic

I didn't, and I never conflated people who don't like to wear a mask with those who refuse to. And certainly not with those who refuse to and then get violent about it. You are obviously not the type I was referring to. I can't stand wearing a mask, but like you...I do it on the rare occasions when I go out in public. If people can't go to a retail shop for an hour or less without resorting to violence, then how will those people act at a Disney park?

Sure, but that’s also a small minority, thankfully.
granted, I know Disney attracts all types, but I’ve seen the heat make “normal” people snap too. Adding a mask...well, let’s just say, I don’t think it’ll be just ‘Murikans acting like children in the parks.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It’s not likely to go real well. The protest people are one thing, but even people with every intention of following the rules are going to have a really hard time in the summer heat.

JoeT63

Sure, but that’s also a small minority, thankfully.
granted, I know Disney attracts all types, but I’ve seen the heat make “normal” people snap too. Adding a mask...well, let’s just say, I don’t think it’ll be just ‘Murikans acting like children in the parks.
It's not just about masks. By any chance, have you watched that video of how Shanghai DL reopened? Wow...SO many restrictions. And as soon as a CM tells the wrong person where they need to stand, sit, when to move, and yes...to wear a mask? Watch out. And boy do I hope the worst is that they act like children.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom