Rumor Spaceship Earth Redo Shelved Indefinitely

donsullivan

Premium Member
I was okay with what they were describing for the refresh but the biggest item the attraction needed more than anything is rebuilding the ride system itself. Deferring or delaying the refresh of the attraction experience will kill of that desperately needed work as well. I can't imaging how much damage the never ending clunk, clunk, clunk as you move along must do to the ride system over time. It cannot possibly be a positive thing.

DVCakaCarlF

at this point, i'd rather see the inside of SSE turned into a big, fake, digital fireworks show then to have them do nothing to the inside. turn it into a planetarium or something.

joking aside, i just wanted a worthy update for this. It's been harder and harder to waste a FP on it the last few years. It's more like, "yeah, I guess we could". of course, that's how most of Epcot's attractions feel nowadays anyway.
The story itself is pretty good, it just needs some updates and the final scene just needs to work appropriately.

the.dreamfinder

I was okay with what they were describing for the refresh but the biggest item the attraction needed more than anything is rebuilding the ride system itself. Deferring or delaying the refresh of the attraction experience will kill of that desperately needed work as well. I can't imaging how much damage the never ending clunk, clunk, clunk as you move along must do to the ride system over time. It cannot possibly be a positive thing.
Dumbing down SSE again, this time with the IASW treatment, was never the answer. Heck, this whole IPCOT project is ill advised at a time when the most successful non MK park is the one still based on a tangible and present theme/mission statement; Animal Kingdom.

lazyboy97o

Dumbing down SSE again, this time with the IASW treatment, was never the answer. Heck, this whole IPCOT project is ill advised at a time when the most successful non MK park is the one still based on a tangible and present theme/mission statement; Animal Kingdom.
Even the Magic Kingdom was not conceived of as a franchise experience. This notion of “Magic Kingdom 2” is a disservice to Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom as it embraces recasting them as something else.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I can't imaging how much damage the never ending clunk, clunk, clunk as you move along must do to the ride system over time. It cannot possibly be a positive thing.
The damage was done years ago. They got to a point of no return and deferred doing specific maintenance/ replacing specific parts when they were told it was crucial. Now it’s a constant band aid job.

This is too bad. I thought tweaking the attraction's theme from communication to storytelling was a clever idea, so long as Disney movies weren't inserted. And I think the projection mapping could have been a neat effect.

Hopefully this is just postponed, rather than cancelled.

the.dreamfinder

This is too bad. I thought tweaking the attraction's theme from communication to storytelling was a clever idea, so long as Disney movies weren't inserted. And I think the projection mapping could have been a neat effect.
The “History of Storytelling” angle was always their way to insert Disney characters into the ride.

FullSailDan

More wannabe Universal Studios, but that describes all of Disney's parks these days.
Not necessarily.. different strokes for different folks. I know people on both sides of the fence. Personally when I moved to C.FL 6ish years ago I got an annual pass for USO, went a few times, and never went back. Others love it and wouldn't spend a day at Disney. I find the USO experience to feel cheap and too similar to a six flags, but that's super subjective. Both companies are obviously doing something right.

GinaD613

If I hear one more Hollywood type reverently describe themselves as Storytellers I will vomit. Everything nowadays is just a remake. Get out those Imaginations and come up with an original idea, or stop taking those undeservedly high salaries.

the story of communication is not over. A hundred years from now people will laugh at our quaint smartphones and tablets.

about SSE, we missed the last refurb in 2011 due to lack of time, but I caught it this most recent trip in February 2020. Honestly, I couldn’t really tell the difference from the original ride. Maybe by the next time we can afford to go in 2030, the next refurb will have made a difference.

sorry for rambling.

Prototype82

All optimistic speculation here, but I really don't see this getting shelved. This is a cash-cow park... Epcot is going to be get re-vamped. They've put far too much hype into exciting their audience. But there's 2 things I'm almost willing to bet money on: 1.) This will be the last of the 4 parks to reopen 2.) Whatever slick redo future world does get will be significantly scaled back. Not cheap, but not as ambitious.

Like many of you, I was excited and I hate not knowing what will happen.

lazyboy97o

All optimistic speculation here, but I really don't see this getting shelved. This is a cash-cow park... Epcot is going to be get re-vamped. They've put far too much hype into exciting their audience. But there's 2 things I'm almost willing to bet money on: 1.) This will be the last of the 4 parks to reopen 2.) Whatever slick redo future world does get will be significantly scaled back. Not cheap, but not as ambitious.

Like many of you, I was excited and I hate not knowing what will happen.
They don’t care if the audience was hyped. There was no additional “slick redo” of Future World.

Prototype82

They don’t care if the audience was hyped. There was no additional “slick redo” of Future World.
On one hand you can embarrass yourself as a company, but on the other hand, everyone has watched the economy collapse. The presentations didn't promise but implied a visual reworking. We've already seen new lighting installed and concept artwork(not that it's a promise of anything.)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom