The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Well this is Mother's Day. Easter, my Birthday and now Mother's Day dining at home with my kids both of which are here working from home for almost 2 months now. So today's dining.

5841F73B-DD94-4C4A-B437-3AE214833267.jpeg

onto an early dinner. Salad from curbside

861619CF-51DC-4059-B739-249E6E815821.jpeg

4152CC59-78C0-414A-B4A8-6EE57DC2249E.jpeg

F66BCC98-E618-408E-86F2-1068841D23C5.jpeg

803D16AC-4F4A-4B4C-A484-CEB2C5218757.jpeg

I love their salad and the sweet vinaigrette dressing. And the next curbside was

F4676F22-5DE1-42A5-8E02-FD43DD70DD80.jpeg

05FC8762-B7E4-48C3-8EEB-08B69DAC43EC.jpeg

D78DBE9C-1EFD-4D79-840C-1CE2400CD236.jpeg

StarWarsGirl

I guess it so depends on if this all gets somewhat better or worse. Time will tell. No longer in that situation but as it stands now I don't think I could put my kid on a bus and put the kid in a classroom with so many others with such a deadly virus. I remember clearly how quickly all the other virus' and illnesses spread in schools and to staff. This being so deadly I'd have a real hard time with that decision as a Mom. Glad I'm not in the position to have to decide.
I think by September it'll be better. At least, I hope so. The good thing for B is that he's on special ed transportation and his class is around 10 kids, so much smaller than normal. My classes when I was in high school were over 30 for most of my classes. I picked a college that had small class sizes because I hated it. Most of my college classes were 10-15 people; some were smaller, some were larger. But yeah, B's in a different situation, and no way could he homeschool. As it is, he and my mom are already driving each other bonkers.

My trick lately is when I'm not working and I want him to stop talking, I just turn on the TV and put on a movie. I don't even ask, I just pick something. We watched Zootopia and Bug's Life this past week. Mom and I are making a list of the movies we're randomly putting on next; I think we agreed on Cars.
My one BIL pulled my MIL out of the Assisted Living center she has been in for 7 years now cause those places are too like the waiting rooms to heaven. My Mom is still in her house. She can still care for herself just lacks common sense judgement. I Fed Ex'd her a facemask and have given up trying to get her to stay home, she thinks up reasons to go into stores, post office etc almost daily then also making odd appoints at foot doctor, eye doctor etc., the elective type of appointments. She loves to go to the bank to get CASH when a pension or SS check comes. No idea what she does with all the cash, she buys everything with a credit card or writes a check for her bills and then physically goes into the post office multiple times a week. Then she calls me up and tells me all the places she has gone. :banghead:If she catches this virus she is going to have a mega contact trace list but the likilyhood of her remembering all the places, dates and time she went to is questionable. #STAYATHOME is a lost concept with her.
It's horrific. My cousin in SC is a nurse; she works at a nursing home. The one where she works has zero cases of Covid. The sister nursing facility was hard hit, though, so she's currently working at that one two hours away. I should text my aunt to ask how it's going.

Songbird76

In regard to your conversation with Rista, I was at the grocery store the other day and I noticed a new sign in the baking items aisle. It said, "Yeast is now located at the Courtesy Desk." 🤔 What's up with that? (I wasn't looking for any, but just happened to see the sign.) My only guess is that maybe some people were ripping it off, or buying in bulk and depleting stock early.
They are doing that with handgel here in the stores. They aren't stocking it on the shelves, but you can get it at the service desk, to keep people from bulk buying it. I had heard there was a shortage of yeast in some places because people were making their own bread, so my guess is that it is to keep people from buying it all up where no one else has access.

Songbird76

What Day Dreams are really about! :rolleyes:

Me, if I had a kid in school at the moment I'd be researching various online home schooling programs.

I could in no way begin to trust the 'true facts' about children's health safety along with staff in that close of proximity to each other in classrooms and buses. Kinda why they closed in the first place. I know quite a few teachers fully vested that have decided to retire.
Homeschooling isn't allowed here. I mean, right now, we have the "remote learning" which is being done at home, but under normal circumstances, children 5 and up MUST go to school until they are 18 or have an associates degree/trade school diploma. Kids start school on their 4th birthday, but it's not mandated until 5 years of age. If your child is not in school when it is in session, there are major fines, etc.

That being said, elementary schools opened today at half capacity, but teachers are not being forced to return, nor are students. There are a number of parents who decided to keep kids at home because they are in higher risk categories, and I think they said 1/3 of schools here had at least one teacher who wasn't coming in right now, most of them either pregnant or in some other higher risk category. Those students who stay home will still do remote learning as they have been. Those that are going to school are trading off...schools can decide how they want to do that, but some are doing odd grade levels one day and even grade levels another day, or half the class one day and half the other day....special education are going full time, but that's because they already have mandated smaller class sizes that can keep the distance, etc. (My son's class has a max of 9 kids in high school classes, 14 in elementary) But again, no one is being forced to go back. High schools won't open until at least June, so mine are still home for a few weeks. But actual homeschooling isn't an option.

Songbird76

I'm having a ball. Social skills workbooks are supposed to be done in a social setting:banghead::banghead::banghead: at least my kitchen floor has been kept mostly clean:joyfull:
Social skills, PE, and Art have all been dropped for A. Hard to do any of those at home, especially the social skills. Hard to practice interaction with other people when you're not allowed to interact with other people and there is no one to interact with if it was allowed.

Songbird76

I guess it so depends on if this all gets somewhat better or worse. Time will tell. No longer in that situation but as it stands now I don't think I could put my kid on a bus and put the kid in a classroom with so many others with such a deadly virus. I remember clearly how quickly all the other virus' and illnesses spread in schools and to staff. This being so deadly I'd have a real hard time with that decision as a Mom. Glad I'm not in the position to have to decide.

My one BIL pulled my MIL out of the Assisted Living center she has been in for 7 years now cause those places are too like the waiting rooms to heaven. My Mom is still in her house. She can still care for herself just lacks common sense judgement. I Fed Ex'd her a facemask and have given up trying to get her to stay home, she thinks up reasons to go into stores, post office etc almost daily then also making odd appoints at foot doctor, eye doctor etc., the elective type of appointments. She loves to go to the bank to get CASH when a pension or SS check comes. No idea what she does with all the cash, she buys everything with a credit card or writes a check for her bills and then physically goes into the post office multiple times a week. Then she calls me up and tells me all the places she has gone. :banghead:If she catches this virus she is going to have a mega contact trace list but the likilyhood of her remembering all the places, dates and time she went to is questionable. #STAYATHOME is a lost concept with her.
I am wondering how they are doing buses here. Most kids go to a school nearby and walk or ride their bikes. Only kids who go to special education get bused to further away schools. I am lucky that A goes to a school that's about 7 minutes by bike from our house, but he's one of the only ones who lives in the same town as the school is in. I think all of the kids in his class come by bus from other places, but there's no such thing as a school bus here. They come by taxi bus, which are just vans...the taxi companies make school runs as a regular part of their business, but you have to pay. Last year, when the kid pushed A down and he broke his wrist, he couldn't ride his bike, so we had to get a taxi to take him to school and pick him up. Fortunately, under those circumstances, we were able to get the city to pay for it. But with the current rules, the won't be able to fill the vans like usual, so I don't know how they will handle that.

You talking about your mom reminds me so much of my dad. He used to LOVE going to the bank and just hanging out. Everyone in the bank knew him and he'd go in and just sit there and talk to the ladies who worked there. When he had his strokes, (one of which he had at the bank, and it was the ladies who work there who finally forced him to go to the hospital...they called an ambulance against his wishes) the doctor told him he wasn't supposed to drive unless it was absolutely necessary, and that actually, he should take dad's license away, but because dad lived out of town, he couldn't leave him with no transportation in case of emergency. But he wasn't supposed to drive. I told him "Your idea of absolutely necessary and my dad's idea of absolutely necessary are going to be very different." Sure enough, he was released from the hospital and wanted to drive home on his own, then when the neighbors said no way and they picked him up, he wanted to drive 40 miles into town the next day to get his prescription filled. I told him absolutely not, ask someone to get it for you. He had every excuse in the book....they might not let someone else pick it up. I told him they will if you call and let them know who is coming for it. He had other things he wanted to do. Those things can wait, dad. Even when he was in the bank having the stroke, the ladies called 911 and he's saying "Oh, this will last for 20 minutes or half an hour and then I'll be fine....it's happened several times before." (half his body went numb and he had slurred speech, couldn't stand, etc) The ambulance gets there to take him to the hospital and he says he can't go to the hospital, he still needs to get to the gun store....he can't leave his pickup outside the bank. He made up so many excuses of why he couldn't possibly go in the ambulance and they wouldn't let him get out of it....oh he was mad. I can only imagine how he would deal with current restrictions!! I bet he'd be really angry that the bank lobby is closed and he couldn't get in there to hang out.

Lilofan

Yesterday was the first day we could go the Catholic cemetery to visit my father who passed away last year. The bishop ordered all cemeteries closed for the last two months for visitation and any burial could only consist of three people in attendance, the priest, funeral director and one member of the family. The few cemetery workers assisted also. Now the number of people allowed for future services increased to ten in attendance. During Mothers Day, the cemetery was packed with cars and many people practicing social distancing and wearing face masks, put out flowers in front of many graves.

Tony the Tigger

Deliveries were busy as heck with great tips all weekend, but this story stands out:

Typically, we have to chat with the customer while shopping. Yesterday, a member cursed in the chat (not at me.) I didn’t think much of it (I’m from NJ.) Later, I mentioned Siri was the one who misspelled “Sharmin” in one of my responses, and she replied: “Siri misspells (the F word) like 80 times a day for me!”

I said, “Are you from Jersey?”

She was. 🤣🤣🤣

I said, “Well, there’s no F flour here!” 😂

It was a good Publix shop except for paper products, and she really needed them. She offered to buy me some if I found any. I told her thanks, I didn’t need any, but I knew another nearby Publix had plenty if she didn’t mind me being a little late. I said I’d let my on-time statistics take a hit. 😂

When I arrived at her house with everything, there was a (funny) card left out for me with a handwritten note and $80. She said I saved the day and made her laugh while doing it - in the rain.

I thanked her, and she said she would tip “the rest” in the app. I thought she meant an extra $20 to make it an even $100...

But she tipped an extra $150 in the app! 😵😵😵

MySmallWorldof4

On a brighter note...for many...

View attachment 469574
We are finally under $2 in PA. We had gas points worth $2 at a quickie mart gas station in our area. Needed to fill up my Suburban. We apparently couldn't be charged nothing. We were charged $.02 a gallon so we paid $.40 to fill up my car. What a great feeling. That was the first time I filled it up in almost 2 months.

MySmallWorldof4

Emy, Megan, and Daniel came by for a visit in the beautiful evening weather...!!!!!!! :joyfull::inlove::happy:

I loved that! She is precious as you said, can't agree with you on the planet since I have 4 of my own. ;) Still a little partial to mine, but she is definitely the most precious 1 and a half year old! Aristocats is a favorite in this house as well. So funny how she is starting to pick out her own clothing. Gosh she is adorable!

MySmallWorldof4

I did that yesterday. I was really bummed that we weren't in Universal like we were supposed to be. I have been so strict with sticking to a plant based lifestyle for the last bunch of years. Yesterday I allowed myself a Mickey Bar. (Bought from Walmart). It tasted delicious and I felt no guilt at all. I don't have allergies like you, just a choice on my part due to issues you know of. Anyway, I am now good!

MySmallWorldof4

Deliveries were busy as heck with great tips all weekend, but this story stands out:

Typically, we have to chat with the customer while shopping. Yesterday, a member cursed in the chat (not at me.) I didn’t think much of it (I’m from NJ.) Later, I mentioned Siri was the one who misspelled “Sharmin” in one of my responses, and she replied: “Siri misspells (the F word) like 80 times a day for me!”

I said, “Are you from Jersey?”

She was. 🤣🤣🤣

I said, “Well, there’s no F flour here!” 😂

It was a good Publix shop except for paper products, and she really needed them. She offered to buy me some if I found any. I told her thanks, I didn’t need any, but I knew another nearby Publix had plenty if she didn’t mind me being a little late. I said I’d let my on-time statistics take a hit. 😂

When I arrived at her house with everything, there was a (funny) card left out for me with a handwritten note and $80. She said I saved the day and made her laugh while doing it - in the rain.

I thanked her, and she said she would tip “the rest” in the app. I thought she meant an extra $20 to make it an even $100...

But she tipped an extra $150 in the app! 😵😵😵
Wow! That is so excellent! There are plenty of good and appreciative people out there. Thanks for sharing that story.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom