News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
There was also the earlier co-financing proposal where the attraction would have been developed for Shanghai Disneyland and Magic Kingdom simultaneously with the attraction located behind Main Street, USA. Since this was before the design work was really done it would not have been the design that was eventually built in either park.
The MK version was, as you say, very different.

Circa what? 2009?

Fsunolekrw

There was also the earlier co-financing proposal where the attraction would have been developed for Shanghai Disneyland and Magic Kingdom simultaneously with the attraction located behind Main Street, USA. Since this was before the design work was really done it would not have been the design that was eventually built in either park.

You can definitely see a pattern with a lot of the recent builds. Shanghai has two big rides that have garnered acclaim, Tron and Pirates. There is already a Pirates stateside so they build Tron. Walt Disney Studios Park has a ride that has garnered some acclaim, Ratatouille. So build it stateside. Hong Kong Disneyland has Mystic Manor which has garnered acclaim but it is that park’s haunted mansion which the states already have so sadly we will probably never get it.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Hong Kong Disneyland has Mystic Manor which has garnered acclaim but it is that park’s haunted mansion which the states already have so sadly we will probably never get it.

In a way, the U.S. parks got it (will get it in Anaheim)... Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway. Pretty much the same ride system.

lazyboy97o

The MK version was, as you say, very different.

Circa what? 2009?
December 2010 was when Legacy was released, so probably 2009/2010.
The Shanghai Disneyland attraction roster was largely finalized in the Summer 2010. Looking at how much the scope of Seven Dwarfs Mine Train shrunk one has to wonder what would be left of a co-financed TRON.

Benjamin_Nicholas

You can definitely see a pattern with a lot of the recent builds. Shanghai has two big rides that have garnered acclaim, Tron and Pirates. There is already a Pirates stateside so they build Tron. Walt Disney Studios Park has a ride that has garnered some acclaim, Ratatouille. So build it stateside. Hong Kong Disneyland has Mystic Manor which has garnered acclaim but it is that park’s haunted mansion which the states already have so sadly we will probably never get it.

Mystic Manor doesn't have the history of Mansion, but it's head and shoulders a better ride. Innovative tech, a followable storyline and some seriously jaw-dropping moments of design.

Would love to see a park in the states take it on.

Giss Neric

For anyone curious about this ride, I call this ride the "mid brakes the ride" cause there are a lot of it. The first part is intense but the intensity not as much inside the show building cause of the mid brakes. It looks like the exact as Shanghai. The leaning forward position you are in is what makes it great.

UNCgolf

Okay, fine then. Let's put Mystic Manor in Hollywood Studios. Then with the black box ride coming, we can have four LPS rides in one park. And with Ratatouille, we can have five of them in all of Walt Disney World. I'm sure you will applaud the diversity.

The ride system is mostly irrelevant to me. Almost every ride could be an omnimover, or LPS, or whatever and I'd be fine as long as the subject/settings are different and the show scenes are good.

I'm not saying it's not nice to have the occasional ride like Splash Mountain or Expedition Everest. But I don't see any issue with having 5 LPS rides at WDW; they could have 15 and it wouldn't make any difference as long as they were all solid rides.

Imagineer45

I mentioned this before in a different thread, but I always thought Mystic Manor could retain the exact same ride system, layout, etc., and be simply rethemed to Night at the Museum for the US parks.

Okay, fine then. Let's put Mystic Manor in Hollywood Studios. Then with the black box ride coming, we can have four LPS rides in one park. And with Ratatouille, we can have five of them in all of Walt Disney World. I'm sure you will applaud the diversity.
Snow White, Pinocchio, Alice in Wonderland, Mr. Toad, and Winnie the Pooh all use similar ride systems at DL and I do not see anyone complaining...

doctornick

I mentioned this before in a different thread, but I always thought Mystic Manor could retain the exact same ride system, layout, etc., and be simply rethemed to Night at the Museum for the US parks.

It could and that would certainly easily work. But I've always thought that bringing Mystic Manor to the US as is would be a good idea. I wouldn't put it in MK (though the "it's a HM equivalent" doesn't bother me at all just like I don't think it matters for Tron/Space) but in one of the other parks. Specifically, I think it would be a good fit in Animal Kingdom... why couldn't Lord Mystic have built his house in Anandapur? Seems like it would be a perfect place for an explorer like he to retire.

It would really be the type of ride that DAK needs to round out the the offerings there.

TrainsOfDisney

Snow White, Pinocchio, Alice in Wonderland, Mr. Toad, and Winnie the Pooh all use similar ride systems at DL and I do not see anyone complaining...

Yup. And Roger Rabbit is very similar as well as Monsters Inc. next door.

Specifically, I think it would be a good fit in Animal Kingdom...

Oh I hadn’t thought about that... it would be an excellent fit! I wish so much that we could have Adventurers Club (a family friendly version) at DAK. You know Joe has tried to sneak it in there!

Would Mystic Manor fit on the land that Kali winds around?

Last edited:

SilentWindODoom

wasn't steampunk to begin with

Has Ratatouille gained acclaim? I've only heart people complain about it and any positives have been the bolstering of the paltry worst part in the family.

doctornick

Has Ratatouille gained acclaim? I've only heart people complain about it and any positives have been the bolstering of the paltry worst part in the family.

It has its detractors, but I've mostly seen positive reviews. The negative concerns seem more along the line of "this could be a better ride with certain modifications" than "this is bad". It suffers in Paris by being the big time addition to the Studios Park and so has to carry the weight of expectations; in Epcot it will be better off among the diverse roster of attractions and isn't even the most ambitious addition at this time (i.e. GotG) or the resort in general - so I think it will be appreciated more as a solid addition.

Last edited:

cjkeating

The general public love it, I took three Disney first timers to Disneyland Paris earlier in the year and this was one of their favourite attractions and didn't understand why all of the traditional Fantasyland dark rides weren't like this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom