HKDL gets new castle, frozen land and marvel land.

If the show building of the third Marvel attraction really features a multi-storey building like what's been shown in the renderings, then probably it will include M&G area, gift shop and restaurant as well(?). If there is a restaurant, then perhaps HKDL can remove one restaurant in Tomorrowland and replace it with another attraction(?).

disney.dreams

If the show building of the third Marvel attraction really features a multi-storey building like what's been shown in the renderings, then probably it will include M&G area, gift shop and restaurant as well(?). If there is a restaurant, then perhaps HKDL can remove one restaurant in Tomorrowland and replace it with another attraction(?).
woah it would be amazing
and seems like skyliner diner would be transformed into marvel themed restauarnt so they could remove comet cafe instead
changing it into something new like a monster inc. or wreck it ralph ride?
but that area is quite small, I'm not sure if its enough for a ride lol

Robbiem

woah it would be amazing
and seems like skyliner diner would be transformed into marvel themed restauarnt so they could remove comet cafe instead
changing it into something new like a monster inc. or wreck it ralph ride?
but that area is quite small, I'm not sure if its enough for a ride lol

great idea. I’d love to see a wall-e dark ride or even a version of the baymax ride they are building in Tokyo

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No
I don't think its a smart choice to change it into mission breakout
coz then DCA would have to bear more development cost of the new ride system
sharing the cost with HKDL would be a win-win situation
less development cost for each resort & HKDL could have an amazing ride to attract more guests
I actually think HKDL is just getting the same attraction as DCA's. Both have moved from perhaps that Avengers Coaster to this flight of passage love child.

Slight segue: isn't Paris going to get the Avengers E-ticket as well (replacing the stunt show)? That would mean three resorts would be splitting the cost of R&D.

Disneylover152

Slight segue: isn't Paris going to get the Avengers E-ticket as well (replacing the stunt show)? That would mean three resorts would be splitting the cost of R&D.

The concept art shown initially has the stunt show still present, which means that the land is supposed to open with Spidey and Iron Man. That doesn't mean that it won't eventually come, but it's not gonna come anytime soon.

Brummyboy92

I recently watched a video about a planned land, (assumingly where Frozen is going) called Glacier Bay. What were Disney thinking not doing this instead?

I know I end up moaning a lot more than praising Disney lately, but there have been some terrible decisions made over the past few years. These IP based lands are stifling creativity, and will become outdated very quickly.

I really should not look into this kind of stuff, as it just irritates me.

I recently watched a video about a planned land, (assumingly where Frozen is going) called Glacier Bay. What were Disney thinking not doing this instead?

I know I end up moaning a lot more than praising Disney lately, but there have been some terrible decisions made over the past few years. These IP based lands are stifling creativity, and will become outdated very quickly.

I really should not look into this kind of stuff, as it just irritates me.
Glacier Bay was part of the three-land expansion (currently TSL, MP and GG) back in 2009. It was proposed by Disney and rejected by the HKSAR Government, so it wasn't Disney's fault. At that time HKDL's local rival Ocean Park was also expanding and they would a have a polar-themed land featuring a roller coaster and some animal exhibits. That's why the government feared that the two parks sharing similar themed lands would lead to unhealthy competition and hence turned down Disney's proposal.

Anyways, at least GB is (sort of) returning in the form of Arendelle now...

OH and GB wasn't the best plan for HKDL. Pirate Cove was.
A large land themed after Pirates of the Caribbean featuring an unique version of the PotC ride with a Splash Mountain-type drop and a Pirates remake of the classic Haunted Mansion, surrounding a lagoon in the centre which showcases Fantasmic! every night.

Last edited:

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No
OH and GB wasn't the best plan for HKDL. Pirate Cove was.
A large land themed after Pirates of the Caribbean featuring an unique version of the PotC ride with a Splash Mountain-type drop and a Pirates remake of the classic Haunted Mansion, surrounding a lagoon in the centre which showcases Fantasmic! every night.

Interesting! I wonder if they cancelled this once Treasure Isle/POTC: Battle for the Sunken Treasure in Shanghai was confirmed to distinguish rides between the two parks?

Interesting! I wonder if they cancelled this once Treasure Isle/POTC: Battle for the Sunken Treasure in Shanghai was confirmed to distinguish rides between the two parks?
Nah, Pirate Cove was way earlier, even before the aforementioned Glacier Bay. Similarly, it was rejected by the HKSAR government, eventually replaced by GB, then finally the nowadays TDL, GG and MP.

IMDREW

Nah, Pirate Cove was way earlier, even before the aforementioned Glacier Bay. Similarly, it was rejected by the HKSAR government, eventually replaced by GB, then finally the nowadays TDL, GG and MP.
Ironic, rejecting Pirate Cove with Pirates Splash, Pirates HM and Fantastic! and green lighting Toy Story Land o_O

Ironic, rejecting Pirate Cove with Pirates Splash, Pirates HM and Fantastic! and green lighting Toy Story Land o_O
Properly because the government officials (who aren't really familiar with how Disney parks work) think TS is a more popular IP than PotC? Not sure why did they make such a silly decision but anyways local fans have always been blaming the government for this. GG and MP are great, but PC would have been even greater.

disney.dreams

Properly because the government officials (who aren't really familiar with how Disney parks work) think TS is a more popular IP than PotC? Not sure why did they make such a silly decision but anyways local fans have always been blaming the government for this. GG and MP are great, but PC would have been even greater.
can the land next to gg build a pirate land? or its planned for an expansion of gg?
I've watched a video about a tower of terror variant with a mineshaft theme, and its perfect for the gold mining theme of gg
also hkdl deserves a flume ride to cool you down in hot summer days

The entire TGM only have one indoor ride Mystic Manor
during rainy days, those areas become so empty as guests prefer staying in places with more shelters
I cant find any reason for not adding more indoor rides there

MagicHK

Glacier Bay- Look here for artwork.
Pirates Cove- Look here, here, and I can't find my others images on my blog (too many on Pirates and HKDL) but one of the pieces of art can be found on this site.

This was the Pirates Cove rendering for Hong Kong.
2E8F2A88-FB6A-428C-BD72-6DA8589B60CC.jpeg

can the land next to gg build a pirate land? or its planned for an expansion of gg?
I've watched a video about a tower of terror variant with a mineshaft theme, and its perfect for the gold mining theme of gg
also hkdl deserves a flume ride to cool you down in hot summer days

The entire TGM only have one indoor ride Mystic Manor
during rainy days, those areas become so empty as guests prefer staying in places with more shelters
I cant find any reason for not adding more indoor rides there
I agree with you that the lack of indoor rides is a big problem in TGM. Building Toy Story Mania in the plot of land between TSL and Arendelle might be a good start. Probably they can also add the Alien Swirling Saucers (which is also indoor but not taking up much space) in it to make TSL a five-ride land lol.

HKDLer

Adventureland in Hong Kong is intended to be an amalgam of exotic/romantic regions around the world. Future expansions of the land would include attractions found in Frontierland, Lost River Delta, etc. You can see an oriental pirate junk and also Big Thunder Mountain in the far background of the art below. Check out this article on Disney & More for more information.
1588615315542.png

This is an early plan showing the current Autopia, Arendelle, Mystic and Grizzly pads being reserved for Star Tours, Toon Town, Indy coaster and Big Thunder Mountain respectively. The rides next to Big Thunder and Toon Town were Phantom Manor(?) and Pirates. Apparently many of the rides were axed as the Eisner leadership decided a boutique park was more than enough. (The haunted mansion cultural thing was pure bs. And having meet and greet pavilions instead of rides because locals love to take photos?!😒)
Iv2cV.png

The cancelled pirate land for HK was named Pirate Coast as opposed to Treasure Cove in Shanghai. Originally slated to be built after the addition of IASW in 2008, the land would have featured pirate-themed Splash Mountain, Voodoo Mansion, Fantasmic, a shooting arcade, and so on. However, it was scrapped in favour of the cheaper mini-lands (with Glacier Bay rejected by the HK govt for being too similar to Ocean Park's new area, which turned out to be really lame:rolleyes:) because the management thought the new lands could be marketed year after year (Toy Story, Grizzly and Mystic opened in 2011, 2012 and 2013 respectively) and that it would feel like there were more offerings. (Yes, they even counted Barrel of Fun as an attraction. Even the desperate WDSP does not include this in its attraction lineup.)
pirate%2B-%2Bshooting%2Bgallery.jpg

delaney_piratevillage2006.jpg

Looking toward the entrance of Pirate Coast from Grizzly Gulch.
P200906300193_0193_54065_LI.jpg

In fact, HKDL launched a POTC overlay for Adventureland as a test run to gauge the local interest in Pirate Coast in 2007. The event was extended by three months due to its popularity. There is still room for a Pirate themed area if they are still committed.
Pirates+HK+1b.jpg

pirates+HK+3b.jpg

Pirates+HK+2b.jpg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom