Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyCane

Interesting poll. Only 40% of people surveyed said they would go to a sporting event, concert or theme park before there is a vaccine. That seems lower than I would have assumed. 32% said they would not go to a movie theater until a vaccine. Not good news for a company that makes movies and runs theme parks :(

I'd be curious what percentage of people normally attend sporting events, concerts or theme parks. The total attendance of all sports leagues combined on a per gameday basis isn't that high. The NFL draws around 1.1 million people per week to stadiums. That's less than 1% of the population. Yes, you have to start counting unique attendance for all sports to try and figure it out but I'd expect that less than 40% of the population attends a sporting event, concert or theme park in any given year. I could be wrong.

What I don't understand is the 8% that wouldn't do one of those activities but would go to a movie theater. Maybe they tend to go on weekday afternoons when there are only a handful of people in even the most popular movies?

ImperfectPixie

I know. I’m officially old enough to go to concerts for bands that were popular when I was young ;)
I've never been HUGE on going to concerts (I prefer more mellow stuff, like hanging around a bonfire for the evening with friends), but I was fortunate enough to see Bon Jovi, Jimmy Buffet, and Black Sabbath (when Sabbath and Ozzy were in Boston ~10-12 years ago), among a few others.

Oh - and Michael Patton's (Faith No More) underground band...Mr. Bungle...at a small downstairs club in Boston - one of the most fun shows I've ever attended.

Animaniac93-98

What I don't understand is the 8% that wouldn't do one of those activities but would go to a movie theater. Maybe they tend to go on weekday afternoons when there are only a handful of people in even the most popular movies?

Could also be money based.

People who've had their income impacted may not want to spend $50 on a Six Flag's ticket, but would spend $8 to see a movie.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'd be curious what percentage of people normally attend sporting events, concerts or theme parks. The total attendance of all sports leagues combined on a per gameday basis isn't that high. The NFL draws around 1.1 million people per week to stadiums. That's less than 1% of the population. Yes, you have to start counting unique attendance for all sports to try and figure it out but I'd expect that less than 40% of the population attends a sporting event, concert or theme park in any given year. I could be wrong.

From the article, specifically on sports:
Only 17% of American adults said they would attend professional sporting events when they reopen to the public, while 26% said they would rather wait until there is a vaccine.

Among those who have attended a professional sporting event in the past year, 42% said they would return whenever it reopens to the public and 39% said they would rather wait for a vaccine, even if that means waiting more than a year.

So there’s a jump from 17% overall to 42% of those who actually go to sporting events.

On theme parks:
Enthusiasm for amusement and theme parks was even bleaker. Fifty-nine percent of respondents said they should not reopen until a vaccine is available. Only 20% said they would visit a theme park when they reopen.

It would be interesting if they had a similar percent of how many who went to an amusement park in the past year.

jmp85

Please do your homework.

To be fair, the article you linked basically says the information was flawed because the doctors assumed the patients they tested were representative of the general population (thus, you cannot extrapolate). While I wouldn't disagree that this is a flawed approach, every single antibody test I've seen has supported the fact that this thing is far, far more widespread than what we've confirmed. Just how much we aren't exactly sure. There will be a lot of speculation around this until more data is gathered.

To be clear, I'm not equating CV to the flu. At minimum, it appears CV is much more contagious than the flu, and the death rate (whatever it turns out to be) will likely be higher than that of the flu.

hopemax

I almost got tickets for Motley Crue/Def Leopard/Poison at Citizens Bank Park in August. I didn’t pull the trigger because it was right before I was leaving for WDW. Now I don’t know if either will happen :(

We fell into the 90s and are supposed to be going to a Barenaked Ladies / Gin Blossoms / Toad the Wet Sprocket concert on June 23rd at Red Rocks. It hasn't officially been canceled yet, but I don't expect to go.

Lilofan

May 5 is the Wall Street /TWDC earnings call that is also made public. Hard questions will be asked by Wall Street to Iger on all things to include Disney's plan to reopen, road to profitability, restructuring and layoffs.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
May 5 is the Wall Street /TWDC earnings call that is also made public. Hard questions will be asked by Wall Street to Iger on all things to include Disney's plan to reopen, road to profitability, restructuring and layoffs.
Unless they plan a re-opening relatively soon they will likely just deflect on that issue. Say things like they are planning, when it’s safe, working with government officials, etc.. They have to discuss all parks not just domestic. I don’t know if they will have much solid to go on. I do know they will gush about Disney + and maybe ratings for the NFL draft.

ImperfectPixie

When I was a child, a had the Grease two-record soundtrack that featured a goodly amount of Sha-Na-Na. I loved that soundtrack more than I can say.
Hubby and I watch that whenever it's on...and we also own it, and he plays the soundtrack on the regular in his truck. :) They were my first official concert...then it was Huey Lewis and the News, the ones mentioned above, NKOTB and Bone, Thugs & Harmony (brought my sister to those), many lesser-known local bands, and I know I'm missing a few...

TeriofTerror

Hubby and I watch that whenever it's on...and we also own it, and he plays the soundtrack on the regular in his truck. :) They were my first official concert...then it was Huey Lewis and the News, the ones mentioned above, NKOTB and Bone, Thugs & Harmony (brought my sister to those), many lesser-known local bands, and I know I'm missing a few...
My first concert was Billy Joel - and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
My first cassettes were Billy Joel's "Glass Houses" and Reo Speedwagon's "Hi Infidelity" - the high watermark of my elementary school days, for sure!

TrojanUSC

Thought this as relevant as Germany is slowly reopening, akin to our Phase I, yet they are seeing a resurgence:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom