Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Looks like someone out there is bullish on theme parks being open some time soon. Nothing overly optimistic happened today to boost the stocks but maybe just a general bullish sentiment on states starting to open up.

Well, if you believe they'll weather this, then their stock will eventually return to where it was before. And since their stock was so low, it's a chance for a big gain.

A lot of these wild fluctuations are speculators who have no concern for long term investment but want to game the ups and down in microsecond transactions. They're investing in people's skittishness and wagon training and competing against other short term speculators.

So, they don't care if the parks will survive and grow in value and equity over time, they care if their stocks will surge or plummet.

Disney Analyst

I am friends with many in the entertainment world, specifically related to theatre and events. They were saying their theatres, to maintain physical distancing, would reduce capacity such that they’d not even be able to cover costs.

They were on an industry call and a stadium of 70,000 stated they calculated to maintain the 6feet physical distancing, it would result in a 4,000 person capacity.

TrojanUSC

Thought I'd provide physical evidence so you all don't think I was making this up when nothing happens tomorrow. 😂
View attachment 466787

I'm not sure I'd take a phone agent's word for it. Also it seems too early to make that kind of call. The situation is still changing every day. Theme parks would be Phase 3 and Florida would need to hit the first two phases without any setbacks or spikes to hit June 1st. That seems highly unlikely.

I think people are mistaking the "current" date for the official date. Still a moving target.

lilypgirl

Another university unveiling their reopening plans for Fall.
"The extent of the crisis in higher education will become evident in September. The basic business model for most colleges and universities is simple — tuition comes due twice a year at the beginning of each semester,” Paxson wrote. “Most colleges and universities are tuition-dependent. Remaining closed in the fall means losing as much as half of our revenue.”

GoofGoof

Premium Member

rowrbazzle

Want to know how people really feel? Go outside and observe. Where I live in north metro Atlanta there are a LOT of people not social distancing. I see it on Facebook posts, I see it in stores, I see it in parks and community play areas.

We're seeing that too. Mrs. Rowrbazzle went to Home Depot for an online order pickup. The parking lot was full. Friends went for a drive in the country and said they saw crowds like summer. Others tried to stop at Lowe's and couldn't get in because the store was at capacity.

That being said, we've averaged 30 new cases/day over the past five days in an area of 2 million. Actually, that's been just about the daily average for the past six weeks. So people are probably doing well overall.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Another university unveiling their reopening plans for Fall.
"The extent of the crisis in higher education will become evident in September. The basic business model for most colleges and universities is simple — tuition comes due twice a year at the beginning of each semester,” Paxson wrote. “Most colleges and universities are tuition-dependent. Remaining closed in the fall means losing as much as half of our revenue.”

Breitbart sourcing the NYT. These truly are the end times.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I have been seeing people say that when the eventually do open up, there will be pretty steep discounts on rooms and maybe even tickets. @lentesta have you heard anything in this regard? What have they done in the past during recessions, etc.? understanding that this is a totally unique situation.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
The poor guy was injected with an experimental vaccine and then bombarded with a potentially deadly virus...he earned a treat. I wonder if he complained that his arm hurt ;)
Something that is interesting that they don't mention in that article is if monkey's can contract COVID. I am assuming yes since there are brilliant scientists working on that trail but there is no mention of that in the article.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom