Voyage of the Little Mermaid is done, won't reopen with the parks.

lazyboy97o

Kind of runs contrary to the single-factor analysts that they simply don’t spend enough money.

I just think they spend money in the wrong ways. Perhaps Imagineering is somewhat at fault, rather than just management? I don’t know.
It’s like your car. If you’re too cheap to change the oil eventually you’ll have to pay for more expensive repairs. That’s very much how Disney operates. They drag their feet until they’re forced to do something and it ends up costing more which is further compounded by rising costs, which encourages more feet dragging. The notion of “Look at all that they’re spending now” misses the larger narrative.

Oh wow. Honestly I did not know those figures.

but with that in mind what about a comparison... how much money did Universal’s “Fast & Furious” ride cost? Or Runaway Railway at HS?

for personal comparisons.
I don’t have those numbers handy but newer attractions are a bad comparison because costs have spiraled out of control since 2006 (meaning return on invest has become worse). The previous $100 million attraction was the Roller Coaster Themed to India or Whatever and more recently Pixar Pier cost more than that.

Is that how much they spent on Mermaid's refurb?

What did they change, Ariel's Ice Cream Swirl Hair, a couple wigs, a few new static fish, and blacklighting the Under the Sea scene?

This ride already cost way too much for what it is, how is it possible they spent half that much on such relatively minor changes?

It needed help, but yeesh.
If I remember correctly, the changes were done over at least two closures. There was also the change to the animation of Ariel getting legs and small tweaks to the other animatronics.

brb1006

Nothing beats the tech package used on Tokyo's Little Mermaid show.

Would love to see that transfer, but no dice.
The show is called "King Triton's Concert", here's some photos.
361_main_visual_name_3.jpg

DisneySea_MermaidLagoon_DisneySea-1024x681.jpg

latest

img_2548.jpg

Better video footage

It's one of those shows "that videos won't do justice and have to see in person".

Last edited:

MaryJaneP

We always thought "Winnie" was actually Canadian as we were led to believe "Winnie" was a shortened form of Winnipeg. Maybe we are mistaken.

brb1006

Whatever the final price tag was, they clearly ran out before the ride was finished and had to go to Dollar General to get sea creature toys.
Because nothing screams millions of dollars spent for this. 🤣
AF1QipN02-v-lL3zvSDLD5WSIhOVdAMNnwe9lS15eDU4=s1600-w1600

NewFL_mermaid_Kiss-snead.jpg

5_11_DCA_02097-ariel-56a387365f9b58b7d0d272bf.jpg

Did the designers of McDonalds Play Place and Happy Meals work on this (especially the sea creatures)? They even reused some of the sea creatures for the final scene. :hilarious:

Also this moment

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

Because no screams millions of dollar spent for this.
AF1QipN02-v-lL3zvSDLD5WSIhOVdAMNnwe9lS15eDU4=s1600-w1600

NewFL_mermaid_Kiss-snead.jpg

5_11_DCA_02097-ariel-56a387365f9b58b7d0d272bf.jpg

Did the designers of McDonalds Play Place and Happy Meals work on this (especially the sea creatures)?

Also this moment

Regarding the kiss the girl scene - the plastic water coming out of the fish in that scene is my most hated moment of any theme park attraction I think... well until Pixar Pier was complete. They give it a run for the money.

Regarding Ursula’s head.... along with carousel of progress, mansion, and jungle cruise boats sinking.... nothing to see! Just a severe lack of maintenance from the worlds most visited theme parks!

Last edited:

No Name

And let's get real... Mickey Avenue was always a reality because the Chinese Communist Party would never allow pro America concepts into their country, Mainstreet USA included. Winnie the Pooh was likely buried under the Mickey Avenue asphalt.
I don’t understand why they didn’t go with a 1920’s Shanghai Main Street.

They’d be foolish to build a Main Street USA in Shanghai Disneyland. In my opinion, they shouldn’t have done that in Hong Kong or Paris either. But a main street that’s a similarly falsely glorified image of a time in those respective countries and cultures would’ve been a fine idea.

Bob Iger proudly claims that it was his personal idea to have a Mickey Avenue instead. And it has as much to do with cultural reasons as it does with this weird idea that Mickey Avenue makes the park more “Disney.” I think it tries to appeal to everyone and winds up not really appealing to anyone. I wonder how much the Shanghai audience likes it.

Winnie the Pooh has two rides in Shanghai Disneyland.

Disney probably regrets that considering Winnie the Pooh is now censored in China.

Last edited:

the.dreamfinder

They’d be foolish to build a Main Street USA in Shanghai Disneyland. In my opinion, they shouldn’t have done that in Hong Kong or Paris either. But a main street that’s a similarly falsely glorified image of a time in those respective countries and cultures would’ve been a fine idea.

Bob Iger proudly claims that it was his personal idea to have a Mickey Avenue instead. And it has as much to do with cultural reasons as it does with this weird idea that Mickey Avenue makes the park more “Disney.” I think it tries to appeal to everyone and winds up not really appealing to anyone. I wonder how much the Shanghai audience likes it.
The park really needs a railroad.

WDWTank

A series of cars moving through a building of projections with modest promotional props, basically a ride that is a constantly updated synergy/advertisement.
I’m sorry, but really? Advertisements need to stay out of theme parks. This is something straight from Biffco

celluloid

Bob Iger proudly claims that it was his personal idea to have a Mickey Avenue instead. And it has as much to do with cultural reasons as it does with this weird idea that Mickey Avenue makes the park more “Disney.”

Of course he does. "What if we had, two Downtown Disneys?"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom