Iger and Chapek Livid With Lucasfilm

the.dreamfinder

On another website, I read that the proposed Cassian Andor show for Disney+ (wasn't even aware this was in development) has a new show runner. Possibly related?
“Gilroy was already part of a writing team that includes brother Dan Gilroy (Nightcrawler), Beau Willimon (House of Cards) and Schiff.”

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Not true about movie theaters (unless the business model has completely changed since the 90s, when I last worked at one). The theater keeps, at most, 15% of the tickets sales, and often far less. They make virtually all their money selling you snacks.

It's changed. Domestically, a studio starts at about 55-60% of the take, but as weeks go on, the theater gets to keep more and more. Internationally, studios get *less* than half the Box Office take. So, there's no one definite number to use. Deadline uses 50% to figure a movie's profitability, and that is what I use generally, as a rule of thumb.

WDW Pro

Original Poster
More insight... "somebody" revealed this new series being helmed by Harvey Weinstein's former personal assistant via Variety using little known info that read like a blurb out of a press release. So there's now two reasons there was significant consternation: 1) controversial hire without consultation and 2) faux press release blurb leaked to Variety. Everybody's hush hush now about the situation, and I won't speculate about how this came to be, but you'll notice Disney isn't touting any new Star Wars series in development. And while some may think this is ideologically driven, i think it has more to do with an attempt to force Iger's hand while simultaneously creating controversy that caused such a quick series of meetings behind the scenes.

Thank you to Mr. Penguin and an unnamed source for helping me clarify this information.

Last edited:

Darkprime

More insight... "somebody" revealed this new series being helmed by Harvey Weinstein's former personal assistant via access media in a way that made it appear to be an official company release. So there's now two reasons there was significant consternation: 1) controversial hire without consultation and 2) faux press release. Everybody's hush hush now about the situation, and I won't speculate about how this came to be, but you'll notice Disney isn't touting any new Star Wars series in development. And while some may think this is ideologically driven, i think it has more to do with an attempt to force Iger's hand while simultaneously creating controversy that caused such a quick series of meetings behind the scenes.

The series and casting was confirmed on starwars.com so I dont see how their being hush hush about it?

The Grand Inquisitor

More insight... "somebody" revealed this new series being helmed by Harvey Weinstein's former personal assistant via access media in a way that made it appear to be an official company release. So there's now two reasons there was significant consternation: 1) controversial hire without consultation and 2) faux press release. Everybody's hush hush now about the situation, and I won't speculate about how this came to be, but you'll notice Disney isn't touting any new Star Wars series in development. And while some may think this is ideologically driven, i think it has more to do with an attempt to force Iger's hand while simultaneously creating controversy that caused such a quick series of meetings behind the scenes.
Wow Lucas-film has to get their stuff together. This is just another example of why Kathleen Kennedy should not be in charge. Hire Dave Filoni!

MisterPenguin

Premium Member

That's odd since the Variety article which broke the story was in no way anything like an official company release.
A new “Star Wars” series is in the works at Disney Plus, Variety has learned from sources. The series hails from Leslye Headland, the co-creator, showrunner, and executive producer of the critically-acclaimed Netflix series “Russian Doll.”
Details of the exact plot of the series are being kept under wraps, but sources say it will be a female-centric series that takes place in a different part of the “Star Wars” timeline than other projects. Headland is said to be attached to write and serve as showrunner on the series, with the show currently staffing.
Reps for Disney and Headland did not immediately respond to Variety’s request for comment.

The article makes is clear:
  1. This is from a "source"
  2. Neither Disney nor Headland cooperated with this 'release'

So, how can anyone at Disney/LucasFilm be in trouble for "a faux press release"? I can see them angry if it was a leak, but no one would mistake the originating article as being about a press release, when it's clearly a leak.

Also, I wish the blogosphere would stop characterizing this as "an alternative timeline" when the original article says "a different part of the ... timeline."

WDW Pro

Original Poster
That's odd since the Variety article which broke the story was in no way anything like an official company release.
A new “Star Wars” series is in the works at Disney Plus, Variety has learned from sources. The series hails from Leslye Headland, the co-creator, showrunner, and executive producer of the critically-acclaimed Netflix series “Russian Doll.”
Details of the exact plot of the series are being kept under wraps, but sources say it will be a female-centric series that takes place in a different part of the “Star Wars” timeline than other projects. Headland is said to be attached to write and serve as showrunner on the series, with the show currently staffing.
Reps for Disney and Headland did not immediately respond to Variety’s request for comment.

The article makes is clear:
  1. This is from a "source"
  2. Neither Disney nor Headland cooperated with this 'release'

So, how can anyone at Disney/LucasFilm be in trouble for "a faux press release"? I can see them angry if it was a leak, but no one would mistake the originating article as being about a press release, when it's clearly a leak.

Also, I wish the blogosphere would stop characterizing this as "an alternative timeline" when the original article says "a different part of the ... timeline."

Variety is a trade... check the access media articles and I'm sure you'll find the reference. Access media is more like buzzfeed, vox, etc.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Variety is a trade... check the access media articles and I'm sure you'll find the reference. Access media is more like buzzfeed, vox, etc.

When I check, they source back to the Variety article which itself says has an exclusive and their own sources. So... didn't Variety break this story?

Can't find this on starwars.com.

Can anyone link to the press release media that's supposedly out there?

WDW Pro

Original Poster
When I check, they source back to the Variety article which itself says has an exclusive and their own sources. So... didn't Variety break this story?

Can anyone link to the press release media that's supposedly out there?

If you'll give me a few hours, I'll double check this evening.

Darkprime

Or are you guys referring to the new show from the russian doll showrunner?

WDW Pro

Original Poster
I thought it would take a while to get clarification, but boy was I wrong. Turns out there are some people who would really like to get this info out there, and I would say that we actually have a little Scandal on our hands. In a few minutes I'll have to go back and edit my prior post make sure nobody gets wrong info, but this clarification should bring to light what actually is going on.

So very few people had info on this series which is extremely early in development to the point they haven't hired staff. Which means whoever leaked to variety was one of the very few individuals. The info that was leaked to variety read just like a public reveal, and was leaked intentionally to gain internet exposure. Here's where the Scandal comes into play, and might reveal to you why people were angry all the way to the very top. Would you like to guess whose social media accounts were scrubbed of all disturbing statements simultaneous to the leak? If you guess the former personal assistant to Harvey Weinstein, who I'm sure knew nothing about him being a predator for all those years, then you would be exactly right. And that means that whoever leaked to variety did so in an orchestrated manner. My source, who I would love to tell their story but can't because it would reveal them, says that the feeling is that this was an attempt to force Bob iger's hand. And that's a big No-No.

And there you have it. The former personal assistant to Harvey Weinstein, who represents a significant PR and potentially legal problem for Disney, who was not that it or consulted upon outside of lucasfilm ... just happened to scrub her social media of horrendous statements from years ago just as an unauthorized leak occurred to an industry trade. Oh, and did we mention that the former personal assistant to Harvey Weinstein who almost certainly knew he was an evil Predator harming women is now Ultra Pro women and running a pro woman animated series for the largest family entertainment company in the world? Can you say Public Image makeover?

I'd say there's a level of stupidity here, but that's an understatement when there's a video of this woman calling all white women a pejorative. Now if anybody figures out who orchestrated the leak, I'd love to hear it with proof or corroboration.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member

Darkprime

Ah that makes sense.

I thought it would take a while to get clarification, but boy was I wrong. Turns out there are some people who would really like to get this info out there, and I would say that we actually have a little Scandal on our hands. In a few minutes I'll have to go back and edit my prior post make sure nobody gets wrong info, but this clarification should bring to light what actually is going on.

So very few people had info on this series which is extremely early in development to the point they haven't hired staff. Which means whoever leaked to variety was one of the very few individuals. The info that was leaked to variety read just like a public reveal, and was leaked intentionally to gain internet exposure. Here's where the Scandal comes into play, and might reveal to you why people were angry all the way to the very top. Would you like to guess whose social media accounts were scrubbed of all disturbing statements simultaneous to the leak? If you guess the former personal assistant to Harvey Weinstein, who I'm sure knew nothing about him being a predator for all those years, then you would be exactly right. And that means that whoever leaked to variety did so in an orchestrated manner. My source, who I would love to tell their story but can't because it would reveal them, says that the feeling is that this was an attempt to force Bob iger's hand. And that's a big No-No.

And there you have it. The former personal assistant to Harvey Weinstein, who represents a significant PR and potentially legal problem for Disney, who was not that it or consulted upon outside of lucasfilm ... just happened to scrub her social media of horrendous statements from years ago just as an unauthorized leak occurred to an industry trade. Oh, and did we mention that the former personal assistant to Harvey Weinstein who almost certainly knew he was an evil Predator harming women is now Ultra Pro women and running a pro woman animated series for the largest family entertainment company in the world? Can you say Public Image makeover?

I'd say there's a level of stupidity here, but that's an understatement when there's a video of this woman calling all white women a pejorative. Now if anybody figures out who orchestrated the leak, I'd love to hear it with proof or corroboration.

Sounds like a right old mess. I imagine Iger was hoping to avoid this lame politics / drama before he left lol guess not.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not Feige-esque. Literally Feige.
It’s funny...in my unending insomnia/boredom...I was analyzing Feige v Kennedy...

Feige is 46...Kennedy is 66

Feige has ousted bosses/partners to pursue creative directions...Kennedy has spent a career taking orders..

What does Lucasfilm need?
Strong new direction with attitude...or deference to Bob, George, Steven, and Harrison?

Just food for thought.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yep Disney brought in Tony Gilroy who worked on the Rogue One reshoots. I'm ok with this tbh. Dont think its related tho.
Edwards and gilroy produced a better in canon movie - problems aside - than everyone who worked on the other movies.

The key to big money from Star Wars from now on is making Star Wars with the right feel...hell or high water.

Thats developed characters with consistency...not new faces, cameos, and ships in the cgi background.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom