Voyage of the Little Mermaid is done, won't reopen with the parks.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
The only highlight of that show was the giant Ursula puppet.
6332974972_43b171701a_b.jpg
The whole "Under the Sea" section of the show, the water effects, and laser effects were my favorite parts as well, though.

nickys

Premium Member
I wonder though will Disney move away from shows. Outside of parades and fireworks, what was the last show Disney put at Disney world?

Do you count Cars as a show? Haven’t seen it yet.
Or the Star Wars thing after the March of the First Order. Loved the marching, never tired of that, but the show itself was rubbish.
Flights of Wonder / re-imagined version perhaps?

WondersOfLife

Some attractions can be outdated and remain open on the basis of charm and nostalgia (Tiki Room, Carousel of Progress, Country Bears) or by having a mission that is greater than mere entertainment (The Land, Spaceship Earth). Unfortunately, none of the old shows at DHS fit in those categories. I forgot to include a Fantasmic! in that as well. When you see Disneyland’s Fantasmic!, it becomes shockingly apparent how much WDW has neglected its shows at DHS.
I would argue that Indiana Jones fits into that nostalgic category.

WondersOfLife

Am I the only person here that actually likes the Mermaid ride? 😂
Nope I love it. Even better are the short waits for a pretty decent dark ride. Every first timer I take to Disney loves it as well. The only people that don't like it are the extremely harsh critics who expected the best from Disney (which will always disappoint people in this day and age).

TPSou

I love the Mermaid ride just because it never seems to have a queue when we go (even on Christmas Day it was a walk on this year) and we can sit on it after we eat a big cinnamon bun from Gaston's to let it digest. I think it's a great ride for what it is, I feel like the other parks could do with a few more rides like that with huge capacity and an easy-going ride experience.

disney4life2008

Do you count Cars as a show? Haven’t seen it yet.
Or the Star Wars thing after the March of the First Order. Loved the marching, never tired of that, but the show itself was rubbish.
Flights of Wonder / re-imagined version perhaps?

No I mean more theater productions. Nemo, indy (to an extent), festival, fantasmic, mermaid are productions.

WondersOfLife

No I mean more theater productions. Nemo, indy (to an extent), festival, fantasmic, mermaid are productions.
Sadly, it's because the general public always chooses "more rides!" on all the forms.

I guess Disney figures that since shows like Nemo, Indiana Jones, Lion King, and Beast all still get pretty decent crowds in, they just don't feel the need to focus on replacing them.

I would KIND of argue that the Lightning McQueen show is their most recent "theater based attraction." But as far as live productions go, yea it's kinda sad that a Muppets Streetmosphere show is the best we've gotten in many years.

Jrb1979

Sadly, it's because the general public always chooses "more rides!" on all the forms.

I guess Disney figures that since shows like Nemo, Indiana Jones, Lion King, and Beast all still get pretty decent crowds in, they just don't feel the need to focus on replacing them.

I would KIND of argue that the Lightning McQueen show is their most recent "theater based attraction." But as far as live productions go, yea it's kinda sad that a Muppets Streetmosphere show is the best we've gotten in many years.
Maybe cause I only go to parks is for rides but Disney does need more rides. More thrilling too.

Kman101

I wonder if those who think this show is outdated are those who see it more often?

It may be because I so rarely get to WDW. It may also be because I have a soft spot in my heart for DHS because it is the sibling version of DCA as Magic Kingdom is to Disneyland. Though most likely it's just because my priority at any park is the entertainment.

But the reason I thoroughly enjoy DHS and the only reasons I would go to that park at all are because of Indy, B&TB stage show, Frozen Singalong and VotLM. Oh, and the evening light and fireworks shows are fun, too.

Not a Muppets fan, sorry, nor the DHS version of Fantasmic as I'm far too spoiled by the DL version. I don't do thrill rides so there isn't a single ride I've gone on in that park as I haven't been since MMRR opened and I'm not sure if I can ride that anyway. But NONE of the DHS shows I mentioned above seem outdated to me. I find them charming and utterly repeatable. But then again, I can't see them regularly. However, I would be sorry to see any of them go.

I mean, shows shouldn't last 30 years. JMO. And if they do ... UPGRADE them.

And because of the way the show is presented, I don't find Festival of The Lion King dated at all. I see it EVERY time I'm in Animal Kingdom.

rle4lunch

And because of the way the show is presented, I don't find Festival of The Lion King dated at all. I see it EVERY time I'm in Animal Kingdom.

Exactly. So sick of WdW sucking from the "nostalgia" teat for 30 years without investing in anything but "upkeep".

TrainsOfDisney

Umm.. lion king has been running 22 years? So your post contradicts itself a bit.

If mermaid was being replaced with a similar quality show based on a new franchise, great. But mermaid is being replaced with..... nothing.

An example.... I loved the Aladdin show, I personally like Aladdin franchise better than frozen. But Frozen at the Hyperion at DCA is crazy good and was a good replacement.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom