Controversial/ Unpopular theme park opinions

FettFan

Better than Banshee? I'm just double checking in case you overlooked that?

It's easy to overlook because Avatar was a horrible movie and the only reason DisneyCo pounced on it was because JK Rowling shut down their plans for haphazardly tossing Harry Potter into the Magic Kingdom.

They needed a quick and popular cash cow to compete with the boy wizard, and James Cameron was like "Hey, I've got this franchise I'm starting! The first movie made TWO BILLION DOLLARS! We can work together!"

And then this happened:

Whoopsies. Counting chickens before they hatch.

bryanfze55

It's easy to overlook because Avatar was a horrible movie and the only reason DisneyCo pounced on it was because JK Rowling shut down their plans for haphazardly tossing Harry Potter into the Magic Kingdom.

They needed a quick and popular cash cow to compete with the boy wizard, and James Cameron was like "Hey, I've got this franchise I'm starting! The first movie made TWO BILLION DOLLARS! We can work together!"

And then this happened:

Whatever the reason, I'm glad it happened I guess... Pandora ended up being a much better setting for a theme park land than Star Wars. I mean, Beastly Kingdom would've been cool. But I guess we need to be realistic that Disney will only build IP lands at this point - and we just hope they turn out as good as possible.

FettFan

I do wonder which designer thought it would be a good idea to juxtapose Tomorrowland Speedway right next to the Tea Cups.

wdn801235LARGE.jpg

FettFan

The one at Magic Kingdom should be removed for an expansion pad for FantasyLand and TomorrowLand.

The Christmas overlay last year was allegedly a test for a big change in the future.

So who knows....maybe it will become Tomorrowland Electric Speedway, Presented By Tesla

Such a change would make sense given the proximity to the Tron Power Cycle Surge Protector Thingamajigger.

Club Cooloholic

The Christmas overlay last year was allegedly a test for a big change in the future.

So who knows....maybe it will become Tomorrowland Electric Speedway, Presented By Tesla

Such a change would make sense given the proximity to the Tron Power Cycle Surge Protector Thingamajigger.

Are the overlays only in effect for the xmas parties or are they on on regular nights?

The Grand Inquisitor

Original Poster

That's pretty cool. I still would have no problem with the removal of them. Or maybe make it indoors and theme it to Sugar Rush?

The Grand Inquisitor

Original Poster

And then this happened:

That's a great video. I remember when I first heard about Avatar coming to Disney I was completely shocked. I saw the movie once and thought it was ok. I have come to love the land and movie. The choice is still kinda crazy 😂

HongKongFooy

Controversial:

Tower of Terror should not have been designed with doors allowing riders to see outside during the up and down sequence.

We are abruptly taken out of the Tower of Terror story and into an irrelevancy: the rest of the themepark.
And then brought back into the story and then once again quickly shown we are not in the story. Are we in a service shaft or are we on one of those ubiquitous and open style drop towers we find at every 6 Flags?

(according to the ride it's a stormy, dark evening........opening the doors at 1 pm shows not only the rest of Studios but often blazing daylight)

I know why designers did it. It's obvious but it would have been a more saturating experience if we would have been completly enclosed in that shaft.

PiratesMansion

Controversial:

Tower of Terror should not have been designed with doors allowing riders to see outside during the up and down sequence.

We are abruptly taken out of the Tower of Terror story and into an irrelevancy: the rest of the themepark.
And then brought back into the story and then once again quickly shown we are not in the story. Are we in a service shaft or are we on one of those ubiquitous and open style drop towers we find at every 6 Flags?

(according to the ride it's a stormy, dark evening........opening the doors at 1 pm shows not only the rest of Studios but often blazing daylight)

I know why designers did it. It's obvious but it would have been a more saturating experience if we would have been completly enclosed in that shaft.

But this begs the question: are you taken out of Splash Mountain because you can see the rest of the park on the big drop?

HongKongFooy

But this begs the question: are you taken out of Splash Mountain because you can see the rest of the park on the big drop?

Well yes, but to a much smaller degree than ToT. Splash Mnt. is a mix of indoor and outdoor water traveling so the outdoor plunge/climax is just following what we have been doing throughout the ride.

bryanfze55

Controversial:

This has actually always bothered me. One reason I think Mission Breakout may actually be a better ride, even if the theming is inferior. While you do see the park once during that ride, it doesn't detract from the experience as much. It does in Tower of Terror unless you ride at night.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Here’s a current one...when Disney parks reopen they’ll either be:

1. So limited they’ll be a huge ripoff and suck
2. Dangerous...and people will love it

bryanfze55

Here’s a current one...when Disney parks reopen they’ll either be:

1. So limited they’ll be a huge ripoff and suck
2. Dangerous...and people will love it

An ideal situation would be, for the first month or two (or three), only open to APs, DVC, and Florida locals offering them heavily discounted tickets. That way, the only people going to the parks will be people who don't care that much that all of the shows, half of the restaurants, and many of the rides are down - they can go again whenever. And capacity will be inherently limited.

I don't think it's morally right to have a family pay well into the four figures (or more) for their "once-in-a-lifetime" vacation and provide such a limited experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom