What's Still On and What's Now Off

TrainsOfDisney

this, and if magic bands are required as mentioned above as the only way, what if you dont have that?? we have the id cards.

Good point, I’m not sure what magic bands do... you have to make more contact with a magic band then a credit card, because you have to enter the pin #... the credit card you just swipe.

havoc315

And for an update:

I now have multiple corroborating sources that have informed me of some specific things.

1) There is a worst-case scenario plan for WDW that is either developed or under development which prioritizes maintenance for the remainder of 2020 if the parks and resort are unable to reopen. This would see certain areas of the resort under much less upkeep in order to limit costs. This might also see many of the roads closed at WDW to public access.
2) Disney is currently in talks with the NBA to resume the NBA season / postseason with the players finishing all games at the ESPN complex. Details are being negotiated, and could fall through, but players would likely stay at Caribbean Beach Resort with Cayman, Sea Breeze, and Victory Way closed except to NBA and Disney vehicles. The aim would be to restart the NBA in late May to early June. Again, this could fall through, but it is being worked on and I believe some details have already begun to leak.
3) DeSantis has been in communication recently with Disney, Universal, IAAPA, etc, and is keen on getting the parks up and running as soon as safely possible. This is a marked departure from the approach the California government is taking. While Disneyland may remain closed for a long time, there is actually optimism that WDW may be able to reopen during the summer with intense restrictions and limitations.
4) The "Secure Circuit" protocol is still the preferred plan for reopening. Secure Circuit does the following:
  • Magic Kingdom reopens with limited capacity, no theaters, no parades, no castle shows, no fireworks and sanitized ride vehicles after every guest exit.
  • Magic Kingdom resorts reopen with strict distancing guidelines in place.
  • Monorails would not operate.
  • Ferries and boat transportation would operate with distancing in place.
  • Health checks would be introduced at every security checkpoint. This would include temperature checks and Q&A (including locations you have traveled to in the past 14 days).
  • Guests will have to sign additional legal forms clearing Disney of liability for potential exposure to COVID-19.
  • EPCOT will remain closed if other parks are able to reopen prior to September.
  • Hollywood Studios reopens with limited capacity, no indoor theaters, no parades, no fireworks, and sanitized ride vehicles after every guest exit.
  • Animal Kingdom reopens with limited capacity, no indoor theaters, no parades, no Rivers of Light, and sanitized ride vehicles after every guest exit. Maharajah Jungle Trek would remain closed, and no close encounters with any animals at any place in the park will be permitted. Details about Animal Kingdom are still being developed.
  • Transportation guidelines are still being developed.
  • Dining guidelines are still being developed.
  • No character meet and greets.
  • No character dining.
  • Water parks will not reopen while Secure Circuit is in place.
  • DVC details are still being developed.
  • Sanitation stations will be available throughout the parks, as well as directions on the ground to keep guests moving in proper directions for limited pedestrian crossing.
  • It is likely, though not officially determined, that masks will be a requirement for adults.
  • Magic Bands mandatory for all guests, fingerprints temporarily on hold.
  • Non-MK resorts are unlikely to reopen until Phase 2 begins (Secure Circuit is for Phase 1).
  • Disney is currently evaluating every single ride and queue to determine how and if it can operate with strict distancing guidelines. This includes determining how to move people through the queue in a safe manner even if virtual queue is in place for that particular ride. For example, even just moving through the queue of Pirates exposes guests to whatever guests passed through the queue 20 seconds prior.
  • Chapek ultimately makes the call on when to reopen and how, once DeSantis gives the green light... so while the protocols for Secure Circuit have been developed, there may be changes from the top.
  • What's on and what's off for future construction is now largely on how much and when Disney receives US government money, as well as the realities of the economy on the other side of this situation. Expect Disney to NOT announce cancellations of projects in 2020, but also for some projects to simply sit with no announcement. Disney is likely to be very bearish in 2020 until we get Q4 economic data.
Best regards - hope everyone is safe.
[/QUOTE]

Sounds pretty realistic. My only significant doubt is MK resorts only? That’s just a few deluxe hotels ... It’s only about 10% of the hotel capacity of WDW. Really going to operate with just 5000-10,000 onsite guests?
Is it even worth opening the infrastructure of the parks and rides, for so few onsite guests? (Off-site guests don’t generate the revenue of onsite. )

Of course, maybe they are anticipating travel still being mostly shut down, so simply a day park for a few thousand locals.

Last edited by a moderator:

TrojanUSC

I don't know how in the world you could discuss what's going to be on and off at WDW without discussions of pharmaceutical interventions, social distancing, lives, the economy, etc. And now that we know via US intelligence that this virus was released from a Chinese virology lab, I wouldn't mind having my old posts undisappeared, as well as my moderator edited posts restored. I've been in contact with the owner of this site about those issues.

And for an update:

I now have multiple corroborating sources that have informed me of some specific things.

1) There is a worst-case scenario plan for WDW that is either developed or under development which prioritizes maintenance for the remainder of 2020 if the parks and resort are unable to reopen. This would see certain areas of the resort under much less upkeep in order to limit costs. This might also see many of the roads closed at WDW to public access.
2) Disney is currently in talks with the NBA to resume the NBA season / postseason with the players finishing all games at the ESPN complex. Details are being negotiated, and could fall through, but players would likely stay at Caribbean Beach Resort with Cayman, Sea Breeze, and Victory Way closed except to NBA and Disney vehicles. The aim would be to restart the NBA in late May to early June. Again, this could fall through, but it is being worked on and I believe some details have already begun to leak.
3) DeSantis has been in communication recently with Disney, Universal, IAAPA, etc, and is keen on getting the parks up and running as soon as safely possible. This is a marked departure from the approach the California government is taking. While Disneyland may remain closed for a long time, there is actually optimism that WDW may be able to reopen during the summer with intense restrictions and limitations.
4) The "Secure Circuit" protocol is still the preferred plan for reopening. Secure Circuit does the following:
  • Magic Kingdom reopens with limited capacity, no theaters, no parades, no castle shows, no fireworks and sanitized ride vehicles after every guest exit.
  • Health checks would be introduced at every security checkpoint. This would include temperature checks and Q&A (including locations you have traveled to in the past 14 days).
  • Guests will have to sign additional legal forms clearing Disney of liability for potential exposure to COVID-19.
  • EPCOT will remain closed if other parks are able to reopen prior to September.
  • Hollywood Studios reopens with limited capacity, no indoor theaters, no parades, no fireworks, and sanitized ride vehicles after every guest exit.
  • Animal Kingdom reopens with limited capacity, no indoor theaters, no parades, no Rivers of Light, and sanitized ride vehicles after every guest exit. Maharajah Jungle Trek would remain closed, and no close encounters with any animals at any place in the park will be permitted. Details about Animal Kingdom are still being developed.
  • No character dining.
  • Sanitation stations will be available throughout the parks, as well as directions on the ground to keep guests moving in proper directions for limited pedestrian crossing.
  • It is likely, though not officially determined, that masks will be a requirement for adults.
  • Non-MK resorts are unlikely to reopen until Phase 2 begins (Secure Circuit is for Phase 1).
  • Disney is currently evaluating every single ride and queue to determine how and if it can operate with strict distancing guidelines. This includes determining how to move people through the queue in a safe manner even if virtual queue is in place for that particular ride. For example, even just moving through the queue of Pirates exposes guests to whatever guests passed through the queue 20 seconds prior.
  • Chapek ultimately makes the call on when to reopen and how, once DeSantis gives the green light... so while the protocols for Secure Circuit have been developed, there may be changes from the top.
  • What's on and what's off for future construction is now largely on how much and when Disney receives US government money, as well as the realities of the economy on the other side of this situation. Expect Disney to NOT announce cancellations of projects in 2020, but also for some projects to simply sit with no announcement. Disney is likely to be very bearish in 2020 until we get Q4 economic data.

I continue to have a hard time believing that, if the CDC guidelines remain in place, given the transient nature of WDW (guests coming from all over), they will reopen, despite what DeSantis says (he's been behind the curve in every single aspect of this since Day 1). The worst thing that could happen to them is to have an outbreak linked back to property, that would damage their brand for a long time. Remember they closed weeks before DeSantis ever took action, it was all based on the CDC guidance.

Florida seems like one of the ripest states to see a big resurgence once some restrictions are lifted, so even getting past Phase I of Trump's vague reopening plan seems like its a ways off.

The "secure circuit," aside from sounding like a post-apoclaltic hellscape instead of a visit to the "most magical place on earth," seems like it would much harder to implement in practice. It again again doesn't really factor in the fact that it is becoming clearer with each passing day that asymptomatic spread is far more prevalent than was suspected even a week or two ago.

TrainsOfDisney

The "secure circuit," aside from sounding like a post-apoclaltic hellscape instead of a visit to the "most magical place on earth," seems like it would much harder to implement in practice.

Agreed. A few passholders within driving distance may be interested in staying at a mk resort for a good deal. But the appeal would be more of the resort than a half-closed magic kingdom park.

But.... if it gets the resort up and running again that’s a first step.

MuteSuperstar

The "secure circuit," aside from sounding like a post-apoclaltic hellscape instead of a visit to the "most magical place on earth," seems like it would much harder to implement in practice. It again again doesn't really factor in the fact that it is becoming clearer with each passing day that asymptomatic spread is far more prevalent than was suspected even a week or two ago.

No kidding. I'm sure there are people who would jump at this scenario, but I'm sorry, I love theme parks as much as anyone, and I appreciate the enormous difficulty Disney is facing with the logistics of this, but there's not one scintilla of a chance I would visit under those conditions.

Getachew

No kidding. I'm sure there are people who would jump at this scenario, but I'm sorry, I love theme parks as much as anyone, and I appreciate the enormous difficulty Disney is facing with the logistics of this, but there's not one scintilla of a chance I would visit under those conditions.

If I'm reading correctly, if that "reopening plan" is true, MK would be able to open just some rides and a few QSR locations? So basically people will pay money to go to MK that's not even half open, with lots of restrictions as well? Maybe they will, who knows.

ToTBellHop

If I'm reading correctly, if that "reopening plan" is true, MK would be able to open just some rides and a few QSR locations? So basically people will pay money to go to MK that's not even half open, with lots of restrictions as well? Maybe they will, who knows.
There will be pricing accommodations. They’re not going to keep your full 7-day park hopper payment. It won’t be THAT long with just 1 park. And no one has to go.

Animaniac93-98

• No character dining.

Under this plan there would be no reason to do the Halloween parties.

Wiping down continuously loading rides also sounds difficult.

Magic Feather

If true, no interactions with characters and no character dining is a massive blow. A lot of families look forward to that.
Some of the bigger blows will make the lack of characters seem like nothing. They don’t was to disincentivize people from coming, but if I didn’t have family in Orlando, and I was planning a once in a lifetime trip, I would definitely push it a year.
Sounds pretty realistic. My only significant doubt is MK resorts only? That’s just a few deluxe hotels ... It’s only about 10% of the hotel capacity of WDW. Really going to operate with just 5000-10,000 onsite guests?
Is it even worth opening the infrastructure of the parks and rides, for so few onsite guests? (Off-site guests don’t generate the revenue of onsite. )

Of course, maybe they are anticipating travel still being mostly shut down, so simply a day park for a few thousand locals.
Given the capacity cuts the parks will be seeing, they may not be able to hold that much more than the locals and the limited hotel guests.

Also, the roll out of Secure Circuit seems to be being tied to Trump’s Phase 1 of reopening. That is not the case. I would be willing to bet a lot that Phase 1 of the US happens well before Phase 1 of WDW.

ToTBellHop

Under this plan there would be no reason to do the Halloween parties.
Everyone’s dream around here: parties in August and September (at least) will be canceled. Actual fall parties with restrictions could be possible. Prices will go up to pay for lower capacity and your reward is likely to be less entertainment.

ToTBellHop

Some of the bigger blows will make the lack of characters seem like nothing. They don’t was to disincentivize people from coming, but if I didn’t have family in Orlando, and I was planning a once in a lifetime trip, I would definitely push it a year.
Given the capacity cuts the parks will be seeing, they may not be able to hold that much more than the locals and the limited hotel guests.

Also, the roll out of Secure Circuit seems to be being tied to Trump’s Phase 1 of reopening. That is not the case. I would be willing to bet a lot that Phase 1 of the US happens well before Phase 1 of WDW.
The CDC’s phase 1 doesn’t really allow nonessential travel.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom