Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin_W

Bob Harlem

FWIW Universal is only furloughing some of the employees (Part time) starting May 3rd and reducing pay (but not furloughing) everyone else except for those actively working:

from their employee site uoteam.com :
- We will continue to pay our team members at 100 percent through April 19
- Effective April 20, nearly all of us – executives, front-of-house, back-of-house, salaried and hourly, will be paid at 80 percent – and we will ask everyone to adjust their work accordingly. There will be limited exceptions, with some team members being specifically asked to continue working at 100 percent and continuing to be paid at that level. Your benefits will remain unchanged and continue in full. If you have vacation time or PTO, you can use this to supplement your income during this time. This is temporary, of course, until we are through this.
- We have made the difficult decision to furlough our part-time hourly team members effective May 3. We are delaying the furlough so these team members have time to plan – and collect 80 percent of their average hours until then. Part-time hourly team members who participate in a benefits plan will continue to be enrolled in their plan, with the company paying weekly contributions on their behalf.

thomas998

I’m not the one who posted that, so I don’t know what his/her point was, but it’s possible to get chicken pox or measles more than once, even though getting the disease naturally is SUPPOSED to give you lifelong immunity. It’s rare, though I don’t know the exact statistics. Maybe covid-19 will be similar? Most will be immune, but a small percentage might get it again? This is all speculation, of course. I’m sure this will be studied immensely, so hopefully we have a better idea of what’s true and what not sooner rather than later.
I don't think there have been any proven cases of a person that had the measles ever getting it a second time. Now some people may think that they have gotten it a second time simply because some other disease can cause similar symptoms. Now if you are talking about immunity from the vaccination then the reality is the vaccination isn't 100% effective and many people that have been vaccinated can still get the measles, not to mention the immunity from a vaccination isn't as long lasting as the immunity from the actual virus.

As for the coronavirus, no one knows how long the immunity will last, I wouldn't expect it to be like the measles though as the measles if caused by a different family of viruses. The coronaviruses don't tend to give life long immunity at least in other disease where the immunity from an infection can last as little as 3 months. Hopefully that immunity will last longer than that because if it doesn't then the world will be in deep pooh until a vaccine can be found.

DisneyDoctor

In a Facebook group I frequent a question was posed today about when people would travel to WDW after it reopens. I was a bit disgusted by some of the responses. Most people stated they would board a flight tomorrow. Some stated they refused to live in fear during this time citing that as the reason for travel. Naturally, I couldn't keep my mouth shut and questioned their thoughts about potentially re-introducing the virus to their home communities. Again, I was hit with the line about living in fear.

Are you all concerned about traveling and bringing the virus back home from wherever you go? Or am I paranoid?

ImperfectPixie

In a Facebook group I frequent a question was posed today about when people would travel to WDW after it reopens. I was a bit disgusted by some of the responses. Most people stated they would board a flight tomorrow. Some stated they refused to live in fear during this time citing that as the reason for travel. Naturally, I couldn't keep my mouth shut and questioned their thoughts about potentially re-introducing the virus to their home communities. Again, I was hit with the line about living in fear.

Are you all concerned about traveling and bringing the virus back home from wherever you go? Or am I paranoid?
The bravado of some is really frightening, to be honest.

Disney Analyst

Hart Island has been the City's potter's field for 150 years. Mass, unmarked graves are the norm and have been occurring for decades.

Yeah the original tweet discusses that. But this doesn’t negate the fact that those are all Covid deaths I presume? I’ve updated with the actual tweet. I linked the wrong one.

natatomic

As a local, I will probably be there within the first few days of it reopening. Mainly because at this point, it’s pretty obvious Disney is going to try to wait until it’s “safe enough” to do so. It’s not like they’re opening tomorrow, with a majority of the population left unexposed and no antibodies, cure, or vaccine; but I’m sure they’ll open when other group-type establishments start to do so - restaurants, theaters, etc., and people start going out in public on a daily basis again. If other things are open, then no, I probably won’t be sitting in my house for weeks at a time anymore. I’ll go to out to eat with my family, maybe I’ll visit friends, I’ll take my kids to a playground, and I’ll go to Disney. I might wash my hands a bit more frequently than I used to, but if the world thinks it’s safe to have us venture out back into it, I’d probably take that “risk.”

DisneyCane

"Publix announced Thursday that the aisles in its grocery stores will become one-way to keep customers further apart amid the coronavirus outbreak."

“To help with customer traffic flow, we have added directional markings, companywide, to our aisles. This will allow customers and associates to better distance themselves while on the aisles,” a statement from Publix said.

When I was in one yesterday at least 25% of my fellow citizens were too stupid to follow arrows on the floor and "do not enter" signs on the wrong end of the aisle.

hopemax

Hart Island has been the City's potter's field for 150 years. Mass, unmarked graves are the norm and have been occurring for decades.
Yes, but the article I read, not sure if it’s the same one, said that they normally bury 25 people a week. Lately they are interring 25 people per day. And they have built two additional trenches in preparation, including temporary internment. So still sad.

DisneyDoctor

As a local, I will probably be there within the first few days of it reopening. Mainly because at this point, it’s pretty obvious Disney is going to try to wait until it’s “safe enough” to do so. It’s not like they’re opening tomorrow, with a majority of the population left unexposed and no antibodies, cure, or vaccine; but I’m sure they’ll open when other group-type establishments start to do so - restaurants, theaters, etc., and people start going out in public on a daily basis again. If other things are open, then no, I probably won’t be sitting in my house for weeks at a time anymore. I’ll go to out to eat with my family, maybe I’ll visit friends, I’ll take my kids to a playground, and I’ll go to Disney. I might wash my hands a bit more frequently than I used to, but if the world thinks it’s safe to have us venture out back into it, I’d probably take that “risk.”
If they wait until there is a “cure” or a vaccine it’ll be awhile.

I have no problem with locals going. There should be no spread related solely to WDW. They are part of that community, that’s their home.

It’s the people flying from towns with smaller populations and people who are relying on their fellow community members to not infect them after their able to enter the community. Traveling to WDW definitely greatly increases that risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom