Disney College Program for Fall Advantage Cancelled

danitaytay

Please take your "pull yourself up by the bootstraps" rhetoric elsewhere, this is very obviously not the situation for it.

Thank you for saying this. I'm so sick of people saying we're selfish for being upset our senior year and our graduation and our jobs were cancelled. We have every right to be upset and mourn. We've worked too hard for this to lose it all.

Disney Analyst

Thank you for saying this. I'm so sick of people saying we're selfish for being upset our senior year and our graduation and our jobs were cancelled. We have every right to be upset and mourn. We've worked too hard for this to lose it all.

You are very welcome to share how you feel, and I am so sorry you are experiencing this loss.

The ICP was one of the greatest things I have experienced, and the only way this Canadian could live his dream of working at a Disney Park. I sincerely wish and hope for you that you will get that experience when this all ends.

Minthorne

You have every right to be upset. It completely sucks and is unfair. I hope that in years to come your perseverance will serve you and you find your happily ever after. Keep believing.

celluloid

It doesn't discount how hard we have worked to get where we are though. I don't get why so many people see the DCP as a cop-out or not an actual job. Because it is and I've worked so hard for it for so long.

It is not discouting you, it is probably more due to what the CP has become. Even the "professional Internships" have changed. It is a term that only belittled the regular CP experience and what it sometimes could be, as well as the fact that anything somone gets paid for is "professional."
You should not discount your dream and your passion. Still work for it, even if it is only with Disney. But the military was a great suggestion and could help you get still to your ultimate goal.(not saying that is the only way, but don't be so quick to discredit it just because it did not seem obvious.) There are tons of work in the military with animals, there are so many AZA Zoos and Aquariums that need great people. Don't let this roadblock be something that stops you from your goal, prove that it is something that will not stop you. Saying you lost everything and believing it would be an admission that you gave up. We are in a difficult time globally, but don't surrender. I would love to be an Imagineer. As a kid I thought that would be an honor and a privlage and the only thing I wanted. I have since had roles with Zoos designing their Haunted Houses as well as other Haunted Attractions at venues where I get to utilize my passion. I love themed entertainment storytelling. If I were to only go with Disney and wait on them all the time, I would be setting myself up for dissapointment along the way and discrediting myself many pleasures as well as opportunities.

danitaytay

You are very welcome to share how you feel, and I am so sorry you are experiencing this loss.

The ICP was one of the greatest things I have experienced, and the only way this Canadian could live his dream of working at a Disney Park. I sincerely wish and hope for you that you will get that experience when this all ends.

Thank you. I'm so glad you got to experience the magic for working for Disney. I truly hope that this dream comes true for me someday.

danitaytay

It is not discouting you, it is probably more due to what the CP has become. Even the "professional Internships" have changed. It is a term that only belittled the regular CP experience and what it sometimes could be, as well as the fact that anything somone gets paid for is "professional."
You should not discount your dream and your passion. Still work for it, even if it is only with Disney. But the military was a great suggestion and could help you get still to your ultimate goal.(not saying that is the only way, but don't be so quick to discredit it just because it did not seem obvious.) There are tons of work in the military with animals, there are so many AZA Zoos and Aquariums that need great people. Don't let this roadblock be something that stops you from your goal, prove that it is something that will not stop you. Saying you lost everything and believing it would be an admission that you gave up. We are in a difficult time globally, but don't surrender. I would love to be an Imagineer. As a kid I thought that would be an honor and a privlage and the only thing I wanted. I have since had roles with Zoos designing their Haunted Houses as well as other Haunted Attractions at venues where I get to utilize my passion. I love themed entertainment storytelling. If I were to only go with Disney and wait on them all the time, I would be setting myself up for dissapointment along the way and discrediting myself many pleasures as well as opportunities.

Thank you for sharing your wisdom. It's really incredible to hear what you've done with your passions. I haven't given up, I promise. Unfortunately all of the AZA jobs/internships I applied for either rejected me or cancelled their programs due to the pandemic. I won't stop trying though. After being handed so many rejections and disappointments throughout my college career, I just thought the DCP was my answer and was my sign of things being meant to be. Having it be cancelled just makes me doubt that faith all over again unfortunately.

celluloid

Thank you for sharing your wisdom. It's really incredible to hear what you've done with your passions. I haven't given up, I promise. Unfortunately all of the AZA jobs/internships I applied for either rejected me or cancelled their programs due to the pandemic. I won't stop trying though. After being handed so many rejections and disappointments throughout my college career, I just thought the DCP was my answer and was my sign of things being meant to be. Having it be cancelled just makes me doubt that faith all over again unfortunately.

I thought the CP was my in I had been waiting for to. I did the CP years ago. I tried so hard to network and never got very far. That being said, it could have just been me or my department but the only advice I ever got when inquring about writing for entertainment or theme park show writing was "go to california" by a manager who was not even looking away from a computer screen. Results very of course and my thing is typically something you grow into through circles and being interdisciplined. So nearly ten years later I realized that is what I had to do. I did more home haunts for halloween, the local nature center and eventually a major Zoo. I realized the place did not matter. I figured out how to get in doing what I wanted. As you know the animal care and husbandry field is not easy nor guranteed. Amazing Acreddited Aquariums and Zoos are under attack by the ill informed and extremists. I believe that will phase out a bit back to just a few whackadoos in comparison and the need for Animal care and trainers will be greater than ever as people continually see the impact and importance preservation has on our natural world of all living things.

danitaytay

I thought the CP was my in I had been waiting for to. I did the CP years ago. I tried so hard to network and never got very far. That being said, it could have just been me or my department but the only advice I ever got when inquring about writing for entertainment or theme park show writing was "go to california" by a manager who was not even looking away from a computer screen. Results very of course and my thing is typically something you grow into through circles and being interdisciplined. So nearly ten years later I realized that is what I had to do. I did more home haunts for halloween, the local nature center and eventually a major Zoo. I realized the place did not matter. I figured out how to get in doing what I wanted. As you know the animal care and husbandry field is not easy nor guranteed. Amazing Acreddited Aquariums and Zoos are under attack by the ill informed and extremists. I believe that will phase out a bit back to just a few whackadoos in comparison and the need for Animal care and trainers will be greater than ever as people continually see the impact and importance preservation has on our natural world of all living things.

Your story is really inspiring, thank you so much for sharing it. And congratulations for all that you achieved.
And I hope the same as you. Getting a job in an AZA zoo is so competitive unfortunately, but who knows...maybe this pandemic will change things. Whatever happens, I just pray I get an answer. I hate not doing anything, I feel so useless. I've volunteered as a wildlife rehabilitator at a local nature center for the last 10 years and even they are closed for volunteers. Only the 3 main rehabbers are allowed to work. It's such a crazy time.

nickys

Premium Member
That’s a very easy thing to say. But when all of your goals have failed, and you’re constantly falling back on your backup plans and then those keep failing...perhaps it’s a little more clear to see why there’s so much distress.

It’s all been spiraling downward for me these last 4 years. Perhaps I’m naive, but I’m having a hard time seeing where to go and if I want to continue.

I’m so sorry you are feeling like this right now. It can be hard when you can’t see a way forward after your dreams are shattered. But there is never only one way to achieve your goal and you can get through this. Stay strong.

HauntedMansionFLA

This is my argument on Disney College program. While it is great for students to get the experience, many of them are not hospitality or other related majors and a good portion are doing this just because it's a resume buildiing opportunity. The reality, they will just go back to being a student. And truth be hold, many of them are living off mommy and daddy anyway.

I am more concerned about the cast members who moved to central Florida or who have seniority who are now put in horrific financial situations. I applaud Disney for canceling these programs and hopefully it will mean good news for cast members.
Most part time CM’s get screwed over because CP’s take all of the hours. These kids are getting a taste of the real world very quickly.

Lilofan

I'm not so sure I buy into these statements without any sources cited:
+ There are 12,000 CP's at any one time all year around
+ 50% of WDW employees are CP's
+ CP's steal CM's hours
It is the perception that CPs steal full timers hours. It's the Disney bean counters that staff and schedule the cast accordingly.

Lora Baines Bradley

Same boat, the whole situation sucks. This will pass eventually.
I was Spring Advantage that was sent home. Yeah maybe it’s my fault for not having a backup plan but when I was doing my CP I felt like I was on the right track for what I wanted to do. Now I don’t know what to do at all! I wanted a career with Disney and I loved working there. I wanted to go FT after my program. I really hope there’s some way I can come back when they reopen. They NEED CPs, especially in roles like Custodial and QSFB (which was my role). We ran the park after 3 PM.
Myself, among hundreds of other graduating seniors who I can speak on behalf of because I am in a group with them all, would disagree with your statement completely. A majority of us were planning on going full time with the company following our program. Most everyone knows the DCP is a stepping stone to a future with the company. I have dreamed of this opportunity since middle school. I had hoped to stay with Disney permanently after my program.
Now with my cancellation I have nothing. I cannot to back to just “being a student” because I had my senior year cancelled and every other job opportunity is closed up because nobody wants new hires right now. Please do not make assumptions. We are hard working individuals who are not living off our “mommies and daddies”. We need jobs just as badly as everyone else.
Just wanted to say I wholeheartedly agree with your statement. I worked so hard to get into this program and working at Disney is not easy, contrary to what others will tell you.
I'm not so sure I buy into these statements without any sources cited:
+ There are 12,000 CP's at any one time all year around
+ 50% of WDW employees are CP's
+ CP's steal CM's hours

I don’t have sources but from what my leaders told me scheduling priority was FT>CP>PT. I never met any, but some PTs were bitter they didn’t get a lot of hours because CPs get so many. However a lot of them only wanted to work mornings instead of closing, and there’s always plenty of hours to pick up if you’re looking, so 🤷🏻‍♀️Personally i’m sad i never got to do my PizzaRizzo shift 😭

Disney Analyst

Upset, mad, and sad sure but grieving and mourning is something I would associate with the loss of someone.

I can't agree. People grieve and mourn lost relationships, lost jobs, missed opportunities, mistakes. It's not just life.

Many believe that grief of any kind can and does have a mourning period, and I would argue it's incredibly important to respect and allow for it.

Lora Baines Bradley

Most part time CM’s get screwed over because CP’s take all of the hours. These kids are getting a taste of the real world very quickly.
Depending on your role, it can be easy to pick up hours, and if you’re PT you can be cross trained in another role where you can pick up shifts anywhere, such as merch. Most CPs (not ICPs) cannot cross train.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom